Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:24 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,481,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Don't be so difficult. You know as well as the rest of us that kids a lot younger than 16 have sex. In fact, girls as young as 11 and 12 who are bent on having a baby will have sex with anyone they can get to unzip, being it a boy or a man.

DJacques has made some pretty sensible points so give it a rest.
I know that kids 16 and much younger have sex. My point is that we also all know they are not prepared to handle the consequences and that suggesting that they are is absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 01:25 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,282,719 times
Having sex and getting RAPED are not the same freaking thing at all..WTF are you even talking about that for?

Old 02-16-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Having sex and getting RAPED are not the same freaking thing at all..WTF are you even talking about that for?
DJacques' point that 16 year olds having sex is OK. As far as I'm concerned it's not OK but I also do not believe that someone having consensual sex with a 16 yo is raping them...unless that person is much older. I also do not believe that anyone (even a 40 year old) having consensual sex with a 16 yo is a pedophile because a pedophile is someone who is attracted to prepubescent children.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:36 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,212,754 times
Quote:
Well its obvious you don't have a degree as it was one of my minors and you are just flaming this thread or absolutely ignorant....But anyway...Its common knowledge that sex offenders re-offend and there are mentally ill that are not treatable. The only time the "feel" normal is if they heal. If you found a way to cure all true psychopathic patients do share. The entire world is waiting for your information.

If anyone is ignorant it's you. Really, it's common knowledge that all sex offenders re-offend? It's common knowledge that ALL sex offenders are pedophiles? Seriously, I hope if you work in the psychiatric field your patients know how unqualified you are. A pedophile can be a sex offender but a sex offender is not necessarily a pedophile. Also, if ALL sex offenders re-offend, then why are the recidivism rates well below the 50% line? Care to explain, oh educated one?

Old 02-16-2009, 01:38 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,354,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
If anyone is ignorant it's you. Really, it's common knowledge that all sex offenders re-offend? It's common knowledge that ALL sex offenders are pedophiles? Seriously, I hope if you work in the psychiatric field your patients know how unqualified you are. A pedophile can be a sex offender but a sex offender is not necessarily a pedophile. Also, if ALL sex offenders re-offend, then why are the recidivism rates well below the 50% line? Care to explain, oh educated one?
I don't think Pitt_transplant said that ALL sex offenders re-offend.

Also, recidivism rates are not going to reflect those re-offenders that no one knows have re-offended, right??

So while recidivism rates may be the only tangible number to look at, they are far from complete or accurate.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post

Also, recidivism rates are not going to reflect those re-offenders that no one knows have re-offended, right??

So while recidivism rates may be the only tangible number to look at, they are far from complete or accurate.
Yes but another point is that MOST offenders are not even known in the first place.....we have no clue who is really offending or re-offending because of this. That is one of the MANY reasons why I think focusing on a "list" or where they live is not practical or sensible.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 02-16-2009 at 01:51 PM..

Old 02-16-2009, 02:56 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,212,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post

She said, "It's common knowledge that sex offenders re-offend." She didn't qualify it with a "some" or even a "most" so I'm going to assume she meant "all." And that still doesn't account for the fact that hse fails to differentiate between pedophiles and sex offenders. Recidivism rates may not reflect the whole picture but until I have solid proof that over 75% of all sex offenders re-offend, I'm going to think it's ignorant to make a statement to that effect.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:11 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,070,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
She said, "It's common knowledge that sex offenders re-offend." She didn't qualify it with a "some" or even a "most" so I'm going to assume she meant "all." And that still doesn't account for the fact that hse fails to differentiate between pedophiles and sex offenders. Recidivism rates may not reflect the whole picture but until I have solid proof that over 75% of all sex offenders re-offend, I'm going to think it's ignorant to make a statement to that effect.
They don't want to be educated. They will cling to those lists and continue to put a blue mark above each door. It's a false security, but that's the way they want it.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:19 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,493,456 times
Quote:
Well its obvious you don't have a degree as it was one of my minors and you are just flaming this thread or absolutely ignorant....
I have a Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice and, as part of the program, completed a 25-page undergraduate thesis on Megan's Law. I can send it to you if you like.

Quote:
But anyway...Its common knowledge that sex offenders re-offend and there are mentally ill that are not treatable.
It's certainly 'conventional wisdom', but as it is untrue and provably so, it falls short of being "knowledge". Sex offenders in general do not have a dramatically higher than average reoffense rate, and some forms of cognitive restructuring therapy is known to be helpful in reducing the recidivism rate. That is not known to the general public because the general public gets its information from buffoons, not from actual research.

Quote:
The only time the "feel" normal is if they heal. If you found a way to cure all true psychopathic patients do share. The entire world is waiting for your information.
Actually, many of them feel normal already. The problem is that they aren't. That's why it's called mental illness. No, there is no "cure", just as there is no cure for alcoholism. But it's patently absurd to claim either that 1. no alcoholics remain sober, or 2. alcoholics are psychopaths.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:25 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,493,456 times
This article was one of the best ones I consulted when I wrote my undergrad thesis, and it hits all the main points. There are many other articles documenting the same points, if anyone is interested.

Lotke text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting