Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:32 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,481,267 times

Advertisements

Before I say anything else I want to make some things clear:

1. I do NOT think that consensual sex between teenagers within a few years of age of each other should be a CRIME (even if one is 18 and the other is 16/17). I do NOT approve of it, however. And I CERTAINLY do not agree with DJacques' view.

2. Although I do NOT approve of people committing these offenses, I do not think being paranoid and obsessive will solve anything.

Now on to my response to MistyVT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyVT View Post
And, as far as adults having sex with teenagers....don't you think it's an adult's job to know when to keep their pants up?????? Control yourself!!!! Wait until the "child" has graduated from highschool, had the opportunity to go to college, explore the world a bit!????
You do realize that you're talking about "children" who would be in their early 20's.

Quote:
No adult should think that any "I know it all" teenager is capable of making a rational decision about their future. ALL TEENAGERS THINK THEY KNOW IT ALL! It's the age! They think they can make all these decisions for themselves....Well...they aren't out of school, they can't support themselves and pay the bills, they aren't in the position to pursue a decent job due to lack of education.....stop thinking they are of age to decide to spread their legs for someone who already passed the "golden" age of 18! There are plenty of people out there who can...leave the kids alone! Good parents understand this and provide guidance and direction. My question is why would any adult want to have sex with someone not even out of highschool????
I agree 100%. But what do you suggest about 18 year olds who are still in high school? Most kids do not graduate until AFTER they turn 18. I don't really get why we are so obsessed with the number "18" but where would you draw the line?

And if you are saying that 18 IS a golden age...what do you think about 18/17 year old relationships? No one is fully an adult at 18...no one is a helpless little child at 17 (unless they have severe disabilities). I read something somewhere recently (can't remember where) where someone was enfuriated about how an 18 year old was called a teenager in a newspaper article. They said "an 18 year old is a grown man, not a teenager." People commented about how "maybe because they are eighTEEN" but this guy was enfuriated and was talking about how "the suffix on the end doesn't mean anything" and that an 18 year old is "fully grown in every way." We all know that is not true. 18 year olds are irresponsible and immature and are teenagers in every way....certainly far from grown. At the same time a 17 year old is not a little baby that cannot make a single decision for himself or herself.

I think that DJacques is bringing up an idea that is disgusting and insane and should not be given serious consideration at all. But honestly where should the line be drawn?

And BTW, pitt_transplant, you may want to edit some of your comments. The similar thread on this subject was locked because the discussion went that direction. I changed one of my responses to DJacques because it was similar and I was afraid the thread would be closed or I would be banned.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 02-18-2009 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 02:37 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,212,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
BTW nice catch on the "all" statement to those who can read vs. those who assume.

I thought I was dealing with literate persons..guess not.
Ooh, burn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Source your percentage...Its higher than that and ever HIGHER when you get to pedophiles and let the time roll. Serial sexual predators are just like serial killers. They have cooling off periods. Where did I say sex offenders are all pedo-freaks? I didnt. Hope you emjobed your edumcshun
And the douchiness continues, you should really get that checked out. Here are a few little tidbits from earlier in this thread:

Chances are that if they're getting molested it will be by a relative or family friend/acquaintance. Sorry if you don't agree, but molestation is now the de facto allegation against anyone if you want to get them in trouble. Maybe parents should be less concerned with total strangers and more concerned with the people they currently have in their lives.

Here are some statistics from my good friend, Wikipedia:

Most sexual abuse offenders are acquainted with their victims; approximately 30% are relatives of the child, most often fathers, uncles or cousins; around 60% are other acquaintances such as friends of the family, babysitters, or neighbors; strangers are the offenders in approximately 10% of child sexual abuse cases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_molestation

And the actual percentages from a different thread:

Assemblyman Bill Hoge of Pasadena, the chief sponsor of the bill, said that child molesters, when released from prison, ''will repeat this crime again at least 90 percent of the time.''

A 90 percent recidivism rate? That is a gross exaggeration, legal and medical experts say.

It is ''a folk belief,'' said Frank Zimring, a law professor at the University of California at Berkeley. ''The recidivism rates of child molesters are lower than in other crimes,'' he said. ''They are in the teens or twenties, depending on how long you follow up.''

In contrast, said Dr. Marvin Wolfgang, a sociologist at the University of Pennsylvania, a large study conducted by the Department of Justice found that 46 percent of all felons were convicted of a felony again within three years after they were released from prison.

Although the percentage of American men who are child molesters is unknown, in Canada, said Dr. Ronald Langevin, a psychiatrist at the University of Toronto, they make up about 1/20th of 1 percent of the population

The Many Myths About Sex Offenders - New York Times

Old 02-18-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Chances are that if they're getting molested it will be by a relative or family friend/acquaintance.
And that is 100% true

Old 02-18-2009, 04:01 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,070,319 times
afoigrokerkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles
Chances are that if they're getting molested it will be by a relative or family friend/acquaintance.

And that is 100% true

Yeah but, yeah but, according to a lot of people, relatives and acquaintances don't count. It's the stranger lurking in his own home you have to worry about.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:56 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,058,946 times
I use the site to make sure RSO's do not become a family friend, neighbor or acquaintance. That's the whole point!

I don't only rely on this, because I'm vigilent with family members and current friends too. I try to cover as many bases as I can.

Look, if there wasn't a need for the registry, it wouldn't exist. Plain and simple.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:04 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,226,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Now on to my response to MistyVT...

You do realize that you're talking about "children" who would be in their early 20's.

I agree 100%. But what do you suggest about 18 year olds who are still in high school? Most kids do not graduate until AFTER they turn 18. I don't really get why we are so obsessed with the number "18" but where would you draw the line?

And if you are saying that 18 IS a golden age...what do you think about 18/17 year old relationships? No one is fully an adult at 18...no one is a helpless little child at 17 (unless they have severe disabilities). I read something somewhere recently (can't remember where) where someone was enfuriated about how an 18 year old was called a teenager in a newspaper article. They said "an 18 year old is a grown man, not a teenager." People commented about how "maybe because they are eighTEEN" but this guy was enfuriated and was talking about how "the suffix on the end doesn't mean anything" and that an 18 year old is "fully grown in every way." We all know that is not true. 18 year olds are irresponsible and immature and are teenagers in every way....certainly far from grown. At the same time a 17 year old is not a little baby that cannot make a single decision for himself or herself
I guess I should have clarified my point. I am not referring to the 19 year old who met the girl when he was under age....or while he was a senior and she was a sophmore. I'm talking about the ones who are beyond the "norms". I don't think any person who is already out of highschool should be "window shopping" in the highschool age range. If the man already knew the girl and dated while in highschool...that is another story. I guess individual basis should be taken into consideration. I would not want a nineteen year old to have a criminal record their entire life for having sex with a sixteen year old.

However, that same sixteen year old should not be fair game to a man in his mid twenties and beyond. And,along the same lines, that nineteen year old should not be showing interest in the gals just entering their freshman year as a fourteen or fifteen year old. However, my statement was meant strongly for situations beyond the teens and young adults.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:45 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,633,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I don't see how ANYONE could argue that this is a good idea or that an adult who views a 13 year old as a legitimate option for a sexual partner does not have serious issues
Well your ancestors might disagree.

Back in the day, it was common to be married by 16. The whole "old enough to bleed, old enough to breed" mentality.

Physically, most 15-16yr olds (and I would guess about 50% of 13yr olds) are biologically able to have sex. NOT mentally, but physically.

Not saying it's right, just throwing useless info into the mix.

But then again, I personally don't see anything wrong with two 16yr olds getting it on.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Well your ancestors might disagree.

Back in the day, it was common to be married by 16. The whole "old enough to bleed, old enough to breed" mentality.

Physically, most 15-16yr olds (and I would guess about 50% of 13yr olds) are biologically able to have sex. NOT mentally, but physically.

Not saying it's right, just throwing useless info into the mix.

But then again, I personally don't see anything wrong with two 16yr olds getting it on.
Of course I know they are biologically able to have sex. I was guess more like 80% of 13 year olds actually. Mentally is, as you said, a very different story.

I don't see anything wrong with two 16 year olds in so far as there should be any criminal punishment...but it would be better for them to wait.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I guess I should have clarified my point. I am not referring to the 19 year old who met the girl when he was under age....or while he was a senior and she was a sophmore. I'm talking about the ones who are beyond the "norms". I don't think any person who is already out of highschool should be "window shopping" in the highschool age range. If the man already knew the girl and dated while in highschool...that is another story. I guess individual basis should be taken into consideration. I would not want a nineteen year old to have a criminal record their entire life for having sex with a sixteen year old.

However, that same sixteen year old should not be fair game to a man in his mid twenties and beyond. And,along the same lines, that nineteen year old should not be showing interest in the gals just entering their freshman year as a fourteen or fifteen year old. However, my statement was meant strongly for situations beyond the teens and young adults.
I definitely agree with this.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:06 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,058,946 times
Ohh pleasssse! The majority of RSO's are NOT having consentual sex with people near the age of consent or adulthood. They're not having CONSENTUAL anything! They're violating their prey.

There are a few exceptions, but I doubt they're the majority. If there's any doubt about whether your relationship could be construed as illegal, I'd err on the side of caution and avoid it.

Occam's Razor states that the most simple explanation is the most likely...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting