Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:13 PM

431 posts, read 1,641,520 times

Advertisements

well according to this list we have 23 offenders and 44 non mappable in my town which my guess means they are in 1 of the 4 prisons in and around my town. However I live out in the country and do not have any near me with the exception of the ones that are about 2 miles away in town. I do how ever check the list yearly because being out in the country and far enough from the road we do let our kids play out in our yard but not out of earshot or without our very protective german shepard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 08:31 PM

527 posts, read 1,281,756 times
20 registered sex offenders >_>

Old 02-02-2009, 09:49 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
You know, this thread is of particular interest to me today.

When I moved to the town I live in now, I checked the sex offender registry (didn't want to move in next to one if I could avoid it.)

One of the houses I looked at but didn't buy, was bought by someone that I've actually met and become friends with.

Well, she said that not long after she moved there, a sex offender moved in on the street.

Now the sex offender lives on the second house on the street, which is off a Major route in our small town.

She lives a mile up the road, long , winding, narrow, country road.

Across this main road, where the sex offender's house is house number two, is the town "family center" where women and young children hang out.

In front of the first house on the road (remember sex offender's house is number two) is the BUS STOP for the pre k, Kindy, 1-3 school, and 4-6 school.

My friend and her DH and neighbors have called the police and school.

The school said the bus cannot come up the street because it is narrow, and there is no turn around. the friend informed them that the land owner at the end of the street was fine w/using his property for turnaround and she got a business to agree to gravel the area. btw, the bus company agreed to this plan, then the school said they don't have the budget to go up there, or something to that effect. wtf!!! I mean seriously! This is ridiculous.

A sex offender, a BUS STOP, and a FAMILY CENTER all within 50-100 feet /yards of one another! Something is wrong with this picture......
I looked up the specific laws for the state of Massachusetts and the similar thread I found on websites for different police departments was the following:

What the Board Does NOT Have Authority To Do:

• Control where offenders live or work
  • Control who the offenders socially interact with
  • Control the daily activities of offenders
  • Conditions of release may be set by the courts
Sex Offenders (http://www.greenfieldpd.org/catalog.html - broken link)

On another police department's website, I found the following which essentially said the same thing:

Law Enforcement agencies have no authority to direct where a sex offender lives or works. Unless court ordered restrictions exist, this offender is constitutionally free to live wherever he/she chooses. Sex offenders have always lived in our community; however, it was not until the passage of this law (which mandates sex offender registration) that law enforcement agencies could share this information with the public. Any abuse of this information to threaten, intimidate or harass registered sex offenders will not be tolerated and could potentially jeopardize our authority to keep the public informed.

Sex Offenders

I found that after I looked up the info on Wikipedia, but Massachusetts wasn't listed for different laws. Like, I live in California and the following was listed for state law: California - Those released since Nov. 7 may not live within 2,000 feet of schools, parks, other places where kids gather. But, like I said, there isn't any info for Massachusetts.

Sex offender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unfortunately I don't think there's anything you can do. Maybe you could set up a Neighborhood Watch and get people to volunteer and sign up for shifts to stand watch at that bus stop. That's the best I think you could do at this point. Also, what was he convicted for? Because there might not be cause for concern if it was a 17 year old-21 year old situation and you could be causing yourself unnecessary stress.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:51 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali&ajsmom View Post
well according to this list we have 23 offenders and 44 non mappable in my town which my guess means they are in 1 of the 4 prisons in and around my town. However I live out in the country and do not have any near me with the exception of the ones that are about 2 miles away in town. I do how ever check the list yearly because being out in the country and far enough from the road we do let our kids play out in our yard but not out of earshot or without our very protective german shepard.
Actually, it's my understanding that they do not register until released from prison because what's the point when they're in prison since the government already knows where they live. This is my understanding of how it works in California but it may be different in your state.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:04 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I looked up the specific laws for the state of Massachusetts and the similar thread I found on websites for different police departments was the following:

What the Board Does NOT Have Authority To Do:

• Control where offenders live or work
  • Control who the offenders socially interact with
  • Control the daily activities of offenders
  • Conditions of release may be set by the courts
Sex Offenders (http://www.greenfieldpd.org/catalog.html - broken link)

On another police department's website, I found the following which essentially said the same thing:

Law Enforcement agencies have no authority to direct where a sex offender lives or works. Unless court ordered restrictions exist, this offender is constitutionally free to live wherever he/she chooses. Sex offenders have always lived in our community; however, it was not until the passage of this law (which mandates sex offender registration) that law enforcement agencies could share this information with the public. Any abuse of this information to threaten, intimidate or harass registered sex offenders will not be tolerated and could potentially jeopardize our authority to keep the public informed.

Sex Offenders

I found that after I looked up the info on Wikipedia, but Massachusetts wasn't listed for different laws. Like, I live in California and the following was listed for state law: California - Those released since Nov. 7 may not live within 2,000 feet of schools, parks, other places where kids gather. But, like I said, there isn't any info for Massachusetts.

Sex offender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unfortunately I don't think there's anything you can do. Maybe you could set up a Neighborhood Watch and get people to volunteer and sign up for shifts to stand watch at that bus stop. That's the best I think you could do at this point. Also, what was he convicted for? Because there might not be cause for concern if it was a 17 year old-21 year old situation and you could be causing yourself unnecessary stress.
Interesting, he's a level three, which apparently is the worst??

What you explained must be the reason the school doesn't want to do anything about it. That might open up a can of worms, although this is a small town and there is only one other registered sex offender here, so it's not like students of 15 families are going to call requesting their bus stop be moved.

Most of the parents are at the bus stop waiting for the kids. The girl that walks, I am not sure why no one is giving her a ride, as she obviously lives along the way down the street.

I agree with you on the 21/17 age difference, that was one of the first questions I asked my friend because I hardly consider that a sex offense, I mean really when the age difference is so small esp. at that age, I wouldn't concern myself over it.

It is pretty scary that the school has no interest in moving the bus stop, though, in light of the sex offender there. Not to mention the narrow winding road w/no sidewalks is not safe for kids to be walking on anyway.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:56 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
One guy about 1/4 mile from my house. When I lived in L.A. there were too many to count (that were close by).

Old 02-03-2009, 07:49 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Interesting, he's a level three, which apparently is the worst??

What you explained must be the reason the school doesn't want to do anything about it. That might open up a can of worms, although this is a small town and there is only one other registered sex offender here, so it's not like students of 15 families are going to call requesting their bus stop be moved.

Most of the parents are at the bus stop waiting for the kids. The girl that walks, I am not sure why no one is giving her a ride, as she obviously lives along the way down the street.

I agree with you on the 21/17 age difference, that was one of the first questions I asked my friend because I hardly consider that a sex offense, I mean really when the age difference is so small esp. at that age, I wouldn't concern myself over it.

It is pretty scary that the school has no interest in moving the bus stop, though, in light of the sex offender there. Not to mention the narrow winding road w/no sidewalks is not safe for kids to be walking on anyway.
Are you for real??? You are causing hysterics in a neighborhood where you don't even belong, with people you don't even know.

Are you even capable of harboring the notion that this guy might be harmless and you're creating a situation that may cause more trouble than he ever did?

Get a grip on yourself and leave that neighborhood to it's own. Since there are cars parked there every day when kids come and go for the bus, it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Did that guy molest children? Did he rape women in a dark alley? You should know all the facts before you get on your horse to charge and crucify what might be someone just trying to mind his own business.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:15 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,205 times
We were under contract on a house, and after we signed, I thought to check watchdog. I found out that there was a man two doors down who was in his 20s at the time of his offense, who had preyed on a child under the age of 12. Having two young children, we immediately broke the contract (our attorney actually found an unsigned page, rendering it null and void, but we would have given up our earnest deposit if necessary to not move into that house). I realize that someone could move into a neighborhood after we did, or some creepo could be not registered and live next door, but we could not ignore that there was a pedophile two doors down and knowingly move in there.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:18 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Mommytotwo, I'm surprised Massachusetts doesn't have a law prohibiting the man from living within a certain distance from where children congregate, but if they don't there's not much you can do.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:18 AM

49 posts, read 136,964 times
Of course: 90% of abusers are family members, who are never prosecuted. Paranoia and witch trials help no one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting