Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 04:49 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times

Advertisements

Spain gets by very well with a general age of consent of 13 (it was 12 until 1996). In Peru it was lowered from 16 to 14 less than two years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 05:09 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Spain gets by very well with a general age of consent of 13 (it was 12 until 1996). In Peru it was lowered from 16 to 14 less than two years ago.
I don't see how ANYONE could argue that this is a good idea or that an adult who views a 13 year old as a legitimate option for a sexual partner does not have serious issues

Old 02-17-2009, 05:50 PM

Well, I might argue it, although I might be inclined to keep a civil provision in the law so parents (who should be able to act like parents, whatever the criminal law does or doesn't permit) would have an option to sue a person who seduced their teen if the teen is still dependent and living at home.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
WTH does that mean? If a 50 y.o. (or 25 y.o. frankly) perv "seduced" my 13 y.o. (boy or girl), he/she wouldn't go to jail but I can rest assured because I could sue them??? For what? What monetary compensation could take care of that? I suppose it could pay for individual and family counseling but I'd want jail time thank you very much.There is just no way that is appropriate. A 13 y.o. is a child and there is no way that is a balanced relationship which is what a healthy sexual relationship should reflect. Boy, this is sounding like deja vu all over again with you.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:33 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Well, I might argue it, although I might be inclined to keep a civil provision in the law so parents (who should be able to act like parents, whatever the criminal law does or doesn't permit) would have an option to sue a person who seduced their teen if the teen is still dependent and living at home.
So you think that parents should be allowed to give permission for a 25, 30, 50 year old to have sex with their 13 year old?

Wow.....

Old 02-17-2009, 07:01 PM

As I've said in other threads, I think the criminal age of consent should be 13 or 14. I've never stated anything different. I would consider a civil provision allowing parents to bring a lawsuit, even though I don't know whether this has any analogue in any of the countries where the age of consent is low.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:05 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times
This thread reeks of people sticking up for their personal desires I think. The only people I have ever come across that have these thoughts on deviant sexual behavior are the deviants themselves.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:06 PM

BTW nice catch on the "all" statement to those who can read vs. those who assume.

I thought I was dealing with literate persons..guess not.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
If anyone is ignorant it's you. Really, it's common knowledge that all sex offenders re-offend? It's common knowledge that ALL sex offenders are pedophiles? Seriously, I hope if you work in the psychiatric field your patients know how unqualified you are. A pedophile can be a sex offender but a sex offender is not necessarily a pedophile. Also, if ALL sex offenders re-offend, then why are the recidivism rates well below the 50% line? Care to explain, oh educated one?
Source your percentage...Its higher than that and ever HIGHER when you get to pedophiles and let the time roll. Serial sexual predators are just like serial killers. They have cooling off periods. Where did I say sex offenders are all pedo-freaks? I didnt. Hope you emjobed your edumcshun

Old 02-18-2009, 02:24 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,225,042 times
An offender is an offender is an offender! BAM! I don't care to figure out which ones will re offend thank you! The fact that some of them will (don't give a crap on the percentage)is the point parents need to be aware of! And, as far as adults having sex with teenagers....don't you think it's an adult's job to know when to keep their pants up?????? Control yourself!!!! Wait until the "child" has graduated from highschool, had the opportunity to go to college, explore the world a bit! No adult should think that any "I know it all" teenager is capable of making a rational decision about their future. ALL TEENAGERS THINK THEY KNOW IT ALL! It's the age! They think they can make all these decisions for themselves....Well...they aren't out of school, they can't support themselves and pay the bills, they aren't in the position to pursue a decent job due to lack of education.....stop thinking they are of age to decide to spread their legs for someone who already passed the "golden" age of 18! There are plenty of people out there who can...leave the kids alone! Good parents understand this and provide guidance and direction. My question is why would any adult want to have sex with someone not even out of highschool????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting