Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 07:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh good grief, don't be so over dramatic.

There are serious issues that young single parents have to deal with that can have consequences for the child that exists for them when all the little heartbeat excitement is over for the grandparents.

And actually, it does hold more merit. Because if it always turned out rainbows and unicorns, this wouldn't be a cause of concern for the OP now, would it?
You have continued to paint an incredibly bleak picture of your own life and repeatedly recommended abortion, so I stand by what I said and don't consider it overly dramatic at all.

My point is that though this scenario is complicated, plenty of families have all the resources and strength of charachter to pull together and successfully navigate these waters and raise a happy, well adjusted child, while finding great personal fulfillment as well. Th OP's family and attitude seem healthy and I'd say both mother and baby have a loving family support system, which is critical for success. Not only that but the mother and father both seem willing to accept and shoulder their responsibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 07:37 PM

13,413 posts, read 9,947,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You have continued to paint an incredibly bleak picture of your own life and repeatedly recommended abortion, so I stand by what I said and don't consider it overly dramatic at all.

My point is that though this scenario is complicated, plenty of families have all the resources and strength of charachter to pull together and successfully navigate these waters and raise a happy, well adjusted child, while finding great personal fulfillment as well. Th OP's family and attitude seem healthy and I'd say both mother and baby have a loving family support system, which is critical for success. Not only that but the mother and father both seem willing to accept and shoulder their responsibilities.
I haven't recommended abortion once.

I'm not sure why you're so defensive about a different point of view. The child in the scenario surely has a right to be heard?

I think we all get your point by now, after all we've had pics and everything.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:48 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,185,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I haven't recommended abortion once.

I'm not sure why you're so defensive about a different point of view. The child in the scenario surely has a right to be heard?

I think we all get your point by now, after all we've had pics and everything.
I am not trying to pick a fight. But in case the OP is following this line of conversation. The reason she is defensive is that her choices are being criticized in this thread. Her choices were about... her. And some folks are not agreeing with it. Which requires defense on her part. Just food for thought.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:02 PM

149 posts, read 371,668 times
Whatevervyou do she has to understand consequences, otherwise next year she will be back pregnant again.
This is an oportunity for her to grow up

Old 09-14-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Finster wasn't criticizing Kathryn's choices. Finster has been offering a different point of view long before Kathryn began participating. Kathryn is prolife (she posted that here), and she inaccurately accused Finster of "repeatedly recommending abortion" when Finster never recommended it once.

I know. I am speaking to Finister's question as to why the poster is defensive. She is defensive that she made certain choices that are being roundly disagreed with across several posters within the thread.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am not trying to pick a fight. But in case the OP is following this line of conversation. The reason she is defensive is that her choices are being criticized in this thread. Her choices were about... her. And some folks are not agreeing with it. Which requires defense on her part. Just food for thought.
Finster wasn't criticizing Kathryn's choices. Finster was offering a different personal point of view long before Kathryn began participating. Kathryn is prolife (she posted that here), and she inaccurately accused Finster of "repeatedly recommending abortion" when Finster never recommended it once. That seems to be what's motivating Kathryn's responses to Finster. After all, she doesn't need to defend her family's choice because it obviously worked out great. It seems Kathryn feels she needs to defend the OP's unborn grandchild---life itself---and she's using the typical prolife rhetoric, such as accusing Finster of wishing she was never born, in the process.

The OP wants different opinions. She said she appreciates all of them, even the hard ones to read. It's obvious she is able to sift through all of this to form her own conclusions.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I know. I am speaking to Finister's question as to why the poster is defensive. She is defensive that she made certain choices that are being roundly disagreed with across several posters within the thread.
I had deleted that post while formulating a more detailed response that better explained my thoughts.

There's more to it than defending her own choice. I don't think it was a choice since she's very passionately prolife. Nobody is roundly disagreeing with her personal life story. Some people are just trying to explain that it doesn't always work as great as it did for her family. Nobody is saying she made the wrong decision within her own family. I really think Kathryn is defending the OP's grandchild.

These are two strong life experiences in this thread, and both are very relevant for the OP to consider.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I had deleted that post while formulating a more detailed response that better explained my thoughts. I think there's more to it than defending her own choices. I don't think it was a choice since she's very passionately prolife.
Being passionately pro-life is a choice. As is adoption. But HER being pro-life, vs say her daughter being pro-life really IS all about her. Anyway time for the mods to come along and whip us back on topic.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Being passionately pro-life is a choice. As is adoption. But HER being pro-life, vs say her daughter being pro-life really IS all about her. Anyway time for the mods to come along and whip us back on topic.
My point is she's not feeling defensive about the way her family handled an unwed pregnancy. She is very proud of how they got through it. Nobody has attacked that. There's nothing to attack or defend. It worked out great.

Kathryn is defending the OP's unborn grandchild. That's her motivation.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
My point is she's not feeling defensive about the way her family handled an unwed pregnancy. She is very proud of how they got through it. Nobody has attacked that. There's nothing to defend. It worked out great.

Kathryn is defending the OP's unborn grandchild. That's her motivation.
We have to disagree. Because that is not the undercurrent that I am reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting