Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 11:31 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,879,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I hope the reports are exaggerated, and the fob's family isn't truly leaving her to cry for hours without picking her up. Isn't it more likely they are saying "she's spoiled and needs to cry for a bit" and are attending to her after a few minutes?
Where did the OP say they were leaving her to cry for hours? Either way, baby is too young for the CIO method and picking up a young baby every time she cries isn't a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 11:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Where did the OP say they were leaving her to cry for hours?
Since she has colic for hours each night like clock work, I envisioned them leaving her cry for hours when Jersey said, "They put her on the couch and have her cry out because that's what she should be doing." Since Jersey's family can't stop her from crying when she's colicky, I can't imagine the baby stopping herself on her own. That all translates into crying for hours to me, and I'm hoping that's not what's happening at the fob's house.

Quote:
Either way, baby is too young for the CIO method and picking up a young baby every time she cries isn't a bad thing.
She's too young for the CIO method, but she's not too young to cry for a few minutes before being picked up. Caregivers take showers, sit on the toilet sometimes, etc.. It's not unrealistic or unhealthy for a baby to cry for a few minutes.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:17 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,710,396 times
Quote:
I hope the reports are exaggerated, and the fob's family isn't truly leaving her to cry for hours without picking her up. Isn't it more likely they are saying "she's spoiled and needs to cry for a bit" and are attending to her after a few minutes?
After all this you expect reasonable behavior from theses people?

And no...a 3 month old infant can not be spoiled and that is a horrible mindset to have. It's one thing to let a baby fuss because you just can't get to them for a minute...it's another story to let them cry simply because you don't care enough to comfort them or think they are willfully misbehaving.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:30 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,879,329 times
Quote:
Since she has colic for hours each night like clock work, I envisioned them leaving her cry for hours when Jersey said, "They put her on the couch and have her cry out because that's what she should be doing." Since Jersey's family can't stop her from crying when she's colicky, I can't imagine the baby stopping herself on her own. That all translates into crying for hours to me, and I'm hoping that's not what's happening at the fob's house.
Op followed up and said they have her in the afternoon time (non colic time).

Quote:
She's too young for the CIO method, but she's not too young to cry for a few minutes before being picked up. Caregivers take showers, sit on the toilet sometimes, etc.. It's not unrealistic or unhealthy for a baby to cry for a few minutes.
I agree, but that doesn't sound like what FOB/family are doing, especially since they're going out their way to say "bad behavior". Sounds like another round of games here.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
After all this you expect reasonable behavior from theses people?
For the baby's sake, I'm hoping.

Quote:
Op followed up and said they have her in the afternoon time (non colic time).
She clarified they don't only have her on weeknights when she's colicky. I had forgotten that the visitation was set for one weekend day and one weekend evening. As a result, they do have the baby when she could be crying for hours. That's why I'm hoping they aren't leaving her cry for hours on end without holding her when I read Jersey's post saying they were leaving her to cry out.

Quote:
I agree, but that doesn't sound like what FOB/family are doing, especially since they're going out their way to say "bad behavior". Sounds like another round of games here.
There's nothing wrong with my hoping it's not as bad as it sounds--crying for hours.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:00 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Update.

Apparently visits aren't going so good. The fob and family are blaming her "bad" behavior on us. They say we must pick her up every time she cries.

Well hello, she's 3 1/2 months old.

They put her on the couch and have her cry it out because that's what she should be doing. Are you kidding me?
At that age, all she knows is she has needs and they have to be met.
Other than colicky time at night she's a great and happy baby.
I'd call the lawyer and let him know. Things like this lead to younger/inexperienced/inpatient parents/grandparents abusing/accidentally killing babies. At 3.5 months she doesn't have the capacity to have "bad" behavior.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Any chance he would go to some parenting classes? Maybe the court would order that for both of them (even if she does not need it, it may help her in co-parenting with him).

Old 09-09-2014, 07:19 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,787,955 times
Call the lawyer. This is a classic situation for potential"shaken baby". Until six months old you never use cio. I cannot imagine that this is any fun for them. Maybe she could just go for the morning and early afternoon one weekend day and come home before colic time? Also colic should be over by now. Go to pedi and insist on trial of pepcid to rule out acid reflux.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:03 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,167,785 times
I think parenting classes would be a good thing to add to the custody agreement, but I'm sure that fob's mother is the one calling the shots when baby is at their house. Since it's already proven that this kid will defer to his parents in almost everything, he probably won't put anything learned to use. But I think he definitely should attend some.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:44 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,766,140 times
She asked for parenting classes for him. The probation officer snubbed her nose at it.

This was the reason for the request.

They go to mediation next week and she is requesting it again. She told him that he is to not let her cry it out right now. She's far too young. His typical answer (to everything) "yeah, I know".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting