Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 06:14 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I get the reluctance to antibiotics just not the reluctance for fever reducers and symptom relievers. After all, they don't cure anything, just make one more comfortable in order to rest.
I remember when they first started talking about being worried about the use of cold medicines back in the 80's, I had a little one who fit in the category at the time. A couple of us wives were at the PX talking about how stupid it was that they saying this as we had all used cold medicines on our babies with good results, when a woman walking by told us of a cousin whose child took the cold medicine in my friend's hand, had a convulsion, and ended up mentally impaired the rest of her life. Yes, it did a good job knocking them out - maybe too good of a job.

I'm not really surprised they now say to not give it to them.

FDA: Cold meds too risky for little ones - Health - Children's health | NBC News

Old 10-16-2014, 07:06 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,766,140 times
Oh I know exactly which ones you are talking about. They don't even give them anymore. So sad.

Same thing with aspirin. I can't tell you how much aspirin my grandmother gave me as a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 04:39 AM

Great news. She is feeling better.

We did give her fever reducer and the decongestant I was able to wiggle out of the doctor. She has been able to rest comfortably.

Now her nose is producing thinner and clearer discharge. So thankful.

My daughter is so happy she is finally doing better. She plans to ask fob if anyone there is sick periodically throughout the winter.

I still can't believe the medical community just wants kids to stay sick with no relief for so long. Schools and caregivers do not want sick kids in their facilities and I don't blame them. On the other side, parents cannot take off for weeks at a time either.
What are people doing?

Old 10-17-2014, 10:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719
I still can't believe the medical community just wants kids to stay sick with no relief for so long. Schools and caregivers do not want sick kids in their facilities and I don't blame them. On the other side, parents cannot take off for weeks at a time either.
What are people doing?
I'm glad she's feeling better. I just wanted to validate NoKudzu's recommendation for the snot sucker. I couldn't have lived without that one. It was the only way to clear their noses so they could breath. I didn't use decongestants on my children, but I did give fever reducers until I realized they always projectile vomited immediately after doses. That's how I learned fever reducers are necessary because there are other ways to reduce a fever. I remember when my daughter had hand-foot-and-mouth disease. I was literally getting into a tepid bath with her. It works. So the advice to use a damp washcloth or sponge her with water is a valid solution to a fever. Although not mentioned in this discussion, I don't approve of burning out a fever via bundling up a child. When my babies had fevers, all they wore were diapers.

What are people doing who need to work? I took off as much as I could, but I eventually stopped using daycare centers for childcare. Their policies make it almost impossible to hold down a job, which is ironic since the children are getting sick there. It's like a vicious cycle. I didn't stop using daycare because I'm a germ freak who wanted to keep my children away from germs. I stopped because I needed reliable childcare that watched my children when they were sick. That type of care can be found via someone who watches children in their homes. I'm not talking about home based daycare with tons of children. I'm talking about SAHMs who watch one or two extra children for spending money. Their out there. The first was a SAHM who only watched my child full time during the day and had before/after school children from the neighborhood. The second and last one was a mother who has 7 children of her own, and my children were the only children she watched. We ended up making her and her husband Godparents. So there are good alternatives out there. You just have to look for them.

Last edited by Hopes; 10-17-2014 at 10:32 AM..

Old 10-17-2014, 10:31 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm glad she's feeling better. I just wanted to validate NoKudzu's recommendation for the snot sucker. I couldn't have lived without that one. It was the only way to clear their noses so they could breath. I didn't use decongestants on my children, but I did give fever reducers until I realized they always projectile vomited immediately after doses. That's how I learned fever reducers are necessary because there are other ways to reduce a fever. I remember when my daughter had hand-foot-and-mouth disease. I was literally getting into a tepid bath with her. It works. So the advice to use a damp washcloth or sponge her with water is a valid solution to a fever. Although not mentioned in this discussion, I don't approve of burning out a fever via bundling up a child. When my babies had fevers, all they wore were diapers.
That's not recommended any more thankfully.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:57 AM

I remember my grandmother feeding me so much aspirin it would make your head spin. I would never give it to my own.

We used the bulb syringe like crazy, which by the way, isn't recommended anymore. Thick boogers are good apparently.

I found out more about the new no meds policy. It seems there were approximately 1.6 children per year over 30+ years that died from caregiver overdose on OTC meds.

I think it's crazy to just completely do away with the recommending of them for everyone for the mistakes of a few.

Anyway, she's on the road to recovery pretty well now.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:07 AM

1.6 million per year isn't just mistakes of a few. Or do you mean 1.6 million over 30 years? That's still many at 53.3k per year. But I agree that it doesn't make sense. Instead of discouraging them, they should be giving dosage instructions so people don't make errors.

That OTC statistic makes me wonder how many children die of overdoses to prescription medications each year. That has to be high too since OTC had dosage instructions on the medication like prescription meds do.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:12 AM

Isn't that the issue with not giving dosages in the metric system? Too easy to overdose. Someone posted a thread about that not too long ago.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Isn't that the issue with not giving dosages in the metric system? Too easy to overdose. Someone posted a thread about that not too long ago.
That makes perfect sense that the metric system played a part. I'll bet dosages in the metric system is the reason there were overdoses because they didn't understand the metric system. Manufacturers should provide the dosage information in the English system measurements in countries that don't use the metric system as an overall standard. That simple change makes more sense than doing away with recommending OTC entirely.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That makes perfect sense that the metric system played a part. I'll bet dosages in the metric system is the reason there were overdoses because they didn't understand the metric system. Manufacturers should provide the dosage information in the English system measurements in countries that don't use the metric system as an overall standard. That simple change makes more sense than doing away with recommending OTC entirely.
Dosage syringes provided with medicines with weight dosage markings would be best. Most people know the weight of their baby/have scales at home to weigh, so no overdosing then whichever system is used, metric or imperial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting