Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 09:08 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,766,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Does the baby look to be in pain when she spits up earlier in the day?
No but she gets this little almost hiccup and you know it's coming. It seems like reflux to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 05:41 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,787,955 times
The little hiccup noise is the vocal cords responding to the rising of the stomach contents in the esophagus. She has reflux, but so do most infants. The question is whether she has acid reflux. Does she look like she is in pain immediately after this happens - arching, grimacing, crying? If she is fine until late afternoon, and only cries in the late afternoon and evening, then it's not from acid reflux - it's just colic, which is thought to be developmental/behavioral, not having anything to do with stomach pain.

I feel bad for her, going to her father's house and crying for so long. Father should have let mom come along the first couple of times to show them how to comfort her. But she will get through it. It will get better.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:07 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I feel bad for her, going to her father's house and crying for so long. Father should have let mom come along the first couple of times to show them how to comfort her. But she will get through it. It will get better.
Jersey says she can't be comforted during those periods, even by Jersey's daughter and Jersey.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:19 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,959,151 times
Jersey, eliminating any physical reason for the crying, I was able to at least calm my last child by running the vacuum cleaner. Yes, I know how silly it sounds, but one day, while he was in the midst of his "fussy time" (heh heh), I simply put him in the cradle, said, "I love ya, buddy, but I have to get something done." I turned on the sweeper and the crying stopped. Immediately. He didn't sleep, but just lay there, wide-eyed and quiet. God bless you, Mr. Hoover! My neighbors must have thought I was some kind of clean-freak, running the vacuum every day.

If it works, a dust-buster might be an option, so as not to disturb everyone else in the house.

It won't cost anything to try and it doesn't involve any meds. Good luck.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:35 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Jersey, eliminating any physical reason for the crying, I was able to at least calm my last child by running the vacuum cleaner. Yes, I know how silly it sounds, but one day, while he was in the midst of his "fussy time" (heh heh), I simply put him in the cradle, said, "I love ya, buddy, but I have to get something done." I turned on the sweeper and the crying stopped. Immediately. He didn't sleep, but just lay there, wide-eyed and quiet. God bless you, Mr. Hoover! My neighbors must have thought I was some kind of clean-freak, running the vacuum every day.

If it works, a dust-buster might be an option, so as not to disturb everyone else in the house.

Hah I used to do that to get my baby to sleep. Don't know what my neighbours thought about me vacuuming at 3am!!

Old 09-04-2014, 08:55 AM

387 posts, read 638,527 times
Quote:

My kiddo (now 16!) was the same! I still have a tiny mark on the carpet in one room from starting the vacuum and leaving it running without moving it for too long (lesson learned there, do let a running vacuum just stand there!), so we could all have a bit of relative peace during her colicky phase.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:

The startle response (wide-eyed and quiet) can really quiet them. For my daughter, it was bright lights. I stumbled up on it by accident. I was carrying her when I walked into the bathroom at night. I flicked on the light switch, and the bright lights instantly startled her. She went quiet and her eyes got huge immediately. She just stared at the lights. Since I never thought about putting a bassinet in the bathroom, I still had to hold her but at least she was calm and not screaming. I later discovered that all bright overhead lights worked---even ceiling lights in the grocery store. I could actually go grocery shopping with a colic baby and accomplish two things at once!

Old 09-04-2014, 10:43 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Late to the thread, sorry that your daughter and the FOB didn't stay together as a couple. Was adoption putting up the baby ever an option? There are many good deserving couples waiting for a baby to adopt.

My boyfriend's mother was adopted as well as her two siblings. His grandparents were awesome people who weren't able to have children of their own.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:20 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,710,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Late to the thread, sorry that your daughter and the FOB didn't stay together as a couple. Was adoption putting up the baby ever an option? There are many good deserving couples waiting for a baby to adopt.

My boyfriend's mother was adopted as well as her two siblings. His grandparents were awesome people who weren't able to have children of their own.
It's a bit late to suggest adoption for a baby that is being doted on by mother and grandparents.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:20 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,399,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
It's a bit late to suggest adoption for a baby that is being doted on by mother and grandparents.
At least it wasn't another one of those super belated "Tell your daughter to have an abortion," responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting