Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 07:23 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,496,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It's a huge lesson to learn. I think especially among women who tend to want to smooth things over.
I agree..it is especially important for women who tend to want to be pleasers..and it is equally important for young people to understand what it is to accept an apology...that it doesn't simply "erase" what has been said or done. It's also important that they understand that even their mom (who they frequently take for granted) is deserving of one.

Quote:
Yes, MM. Huge headache which I normally don't get. It's almost funny. Everyone here is on edge. Everyone. We're all just waiting for the heat to break. Happens ever year. You hit a point where you say "That's it. I need for it to be cooler!" Grumble, Moan, Complain. Today was my day.

High 90's are coming this weekend! Yay! High 90's, lol. I'll have to find the electric blanket.
Sorry to hear you have a headache Dew - that is no fun. I don't know how you all can stand the heat. I don't know that I could do it. I've been griping for weeks about our mid 90 temps. I'm more of a cool weather kind of gal....although it's hard to compare since we typically don't get bitter cold lasting more than a day or two at a time. I might well be equally grumpy if we had a whole month of below zero temps...

And of course, the possibility exists that I am simply a grumpy ****** sometimes, regardless of the weather!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,234,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Sorry to hear you have a headache Dew - that is no fun. I don't know how you all can stand the heat. I don't know that I could do it. I've been griping for weeks about our mid 90 temps.

And of course, the possibility exists that I am simply a grumpy ****** sometimes, regardless of the weather!
You? Never!

I think I can stand it because of the payoff: It is physically beautiful where we live. Lots of saguaros and different kind of cacti. We aren't in the city so the pace is very slow. It's so quiet at night (well, except for the owls and coyotes) you can hear your heart beat. We rarely hear cars or sirens.

The weather in the winter is good. There isn't the hassel of living in L.A. No graffiti or gangs. Very much the small town life up where we are yet we can be in Phoenix in 45 minutes.

Of course Saturday morning I looked out the window and saw two guys and a kid walking in the desert holding shot-guns. Dove hunting season. I'm still not used to seeing things like that, lol.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
You? Never!
Bwahaha...

Dew - I do like the desert and find it beautiful and fascinating...I don't recall if I mentioned I lived out in the High Desert in Ca for a short time. I used to enjoy just driving by myself out to some of the rocky outcrops and drawing. I miss that sometimes.

We used to hear the coyotes out here but rarely any more...same in CA...when I was growing up (not in the High Desert), we'd hear them yipping but now the area where I grew up is no longer the semi-rural area it once was. I last visited about 15 years ago and hardly recognized the place. Used to be a sleepy, horsey town...

Old 09-06-2011, 08:34 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,585,614 times
I love the desert. My parents lived in Namibia for over 10 years, one of the most beautiful countries I have seen. Huge country, very sparsely populated, and mainly desert. My mom, a pretty eccentric lady, and her friends would organize these lavish parties out in the desert in deserted buildings. They would use colorful cloths to decorate, and candles for light, and everyone would bring food and a chair. I'm talking middle of nowhere, driving in convoy over dunes. Crazy times.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:38 PM

Very cool Zimbo!! I can only imagine how beautiful that would be.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:42 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,992,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I agree..it is especially important for women who tend to want to be pleasers..and it is equally important for young people to understand what it is to accept an apology...that it doesn't simply "erase" what has been said or done. It's also important that they understand that even their mom (who they frequently take for granted) is deserving of one.
Words of truth, and an important lesson for mother and child.

Quote:
You? Never!

I think I can stand it because of the payoff: It is physically beautiful where we live. Lots of saguaros and different kind of cacti. We aren't in the city so the pace is very slow. It's so quiet at night (well, except for the owls and coyotes) you can hear your heart beat. We rarely hear cars or sirens.
I've seen the beauty of the desert, and spent several months in AZ, but I don't think I could handle the relentless heat you experience regularly. I have lots of family there, and love to visit. Maybe one day I'll see a haboob!
We hear coyotes and owls almost nightly. I love that mournful howl.

Meanwhile, our heat has broken, and we've moved onto open window weather, at least for a while. I hope your headache feels better Dew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I love the desert. My parents lived in Namibia for over 10 years, one of the most beautiful countries I have seen. Huge country, very sparsely populated, and mainly desert. My mom, a pretty eccentric lady, and her friends would organize these lavish parties out in the desert in deserted buildings. They would use colorful cloths to decorate, and candles for light, and everyone would bring food and a chair. I'm talking middle of nowhere, driving in convoy over dunes. Crazy times.
Zim, you should write a book. I loved Twenty Chickens for a Saddle, and Don't Let's go to the Dogs Tonight, but I'll bet you have some tales to rival those books.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:13 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,585,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Zim, you should write a book. I loved Twenty Chickens for a Saddle, and Don't Let's go to the Dogs Tonight, but I'll bet you have some tales to rival those books.
Hehe! "Don't Let's go to the Dogs Tonight" is one of my all time favorite books, and very reminiscent of my childhood. The author, Alexandra Fuller, has just published Cocktail Hour Under The Tree Of Forgetfulness. I haven't had the chance to read it yet, but it has great reviews.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:50 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,203,701 times
Good morning, CDMWR!

I think the desert is gorgeous, but I would dry up and cause a major haboob if I lived there. I need the humidity (good thing, being a Southeastern kind of girl).

And I've actually heard coyotes. Yes, here in urban Florida. In fact, we're pretty sure they've eaten at least two cats, so the current outdoor kitty has to come in at night, which he does not love but to which he has become resigned.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:16 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,908,792 times
Morning, sunshines!

Hope Miss FR made it through the night with no ER and is feeling a bit better today!

After a lovely evening of DS having a nightmare and wedging himself into bed with us, we're off to clean and nest and clean and nest. I am beginning to get irrationally worried that I'm going to go early and we won't be done prepping for DD!

Hope everyone has a good one.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:17 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,908,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
In fact, we're pretty sure they've eaten at least two cats, so the current outdoor kitty has to come in at night, which he does not love but to which he has become resigned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting