Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 11:38 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,923,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
After a sucessful 35 year career in an industry that collapsed, hubby changed to a career in the trucking industry late in life six years ago. We were surprised to find so many other educated professionals in trucking. The reason is that it pays very well. It was truly the only career that he could start at his age with a starting salary anywhere near what he earned in his previous career. Even then, we took a huge hit financially but we adjusted. It's hard to look back and say that it wasn't worth the change in our lifestyle. Yes, it's an extremely difficult life, not being home. But the alternative would have been financial disaster. Hubby did this to provide for our family. That's why I returned to school. I want to provide for him so he can retire.
Definitely a tough career path! I used to work with some guys in the trucking industry - it can be rough on the whole family! I give you all a ton of credit for doing what needed to be done. Hugs to both you and Mr. Hopes.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:40 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,923,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Ahh he has strep throat! Now I have to call my ob/gyn and primary gp after their lunch hours to let them know. UUGGH it never ends.

Last night I told my sister about his tongue and how he only had a slight fever on Saturday from what I believe was a cold. She worried the crap out of me because the following day he was much better and we went to a lake. She was like OMG he has an AMOEBA! Tongues do not do that!

The doctor rest assure me it wasn't an amoeba eating his tongue and he just has strep throat. It seems to be going around as my neice and nephew in Cali have strep.

Ugh - you poor thing!

Old 09-07-2011, 11:41 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,769,658 times
Quote:
After a sucessful 35 year career in an industry that collapsed, hubby changed to a career in the trucking industry late in life six years ago. We were surprised to find so many other educated professionals in trucking. The reason is that it pays very well. It was truly the only career that he could start at his age with a starting salary anywhere near what he earned in his previous career. Even then, we took a huge hit financially but we adjusted. It's hard to look back and say that it wasn't worth the change in our lifestyle. Yes, it's an extremely difficult life, not being home. But the alternative would have been financial disaster. Hubby did this to provide for our family. That's why I returned to school. I want to provide for him so he can retire.
OOOH no wonder you are worried about him and waiting around. Is he long distance or local? My dad use to do the FL to NY run since the late 60's to 2000. He stopped and started doing local. It does pay well but when you wait around sometimes for weeks it does become frustrating.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post

Ugh - you poor thing!
She freaked the crap out of me. Two children in VA died from swimming in lakes that were stagnant and amoebas flourished. They also had two children die in her part of FL for the same reason.

And this is why I tell Mr. X, I rather swim in a kiddie pool than a lake.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:49 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,642,492 times
Since I can't switch out the fall/winter clothes because hubby is sleeping, I'll putz on here a bit more.

The brilliance of this thread is being able to talk about anything!

Specifically, right now, Kate Gosselin! I just read a news article that her show as cancelled.

I came to CD to comment and discovered that Kate Plus 8 is too controversial to allow discussion in the TV forum.

Anyways, my thoughts after reading a few old articles.

When Kate learned her show was cancelled last month, she said she was excited to consider the many opportunities that will be coming her way.

Today, she says she's freaking out, fearful of her ability to provide for her children---saying she'll do whatever she can to keep them in the house and school distict.

Guess that means no offers came her way, huh? Or maybe she's preparing the public for an upcoming Playboy spread?

Why did she buy such a big house? Even if the mortgage is paid, she won't be able to pay the taxes on that property on a nurse's salary. And what on earth did she do with all of that money earned over the past six years? Didnt' she anticipate that the gravy train would run out?

Old 09-07-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Definitely a tough career path! I used to work with some guys in the trucking industry - it can be rough on the whole family! I give you all a ton of credit for doing what needed to be done. Hugs to both you and Mr. Hopes.
I'm very proud of how resilient we have been through these many transitions. I truly feel our marriage can overcome anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
OOOH no wonder you are worried about him and waiting around. Is he long distance or local? My dad use to do the FL to NY run since the late 60's to 2000. He stopped and started doing local. It does pay well but when you wait around sometimes for weeks it does become frustrating.
He was only OTR a handful of months here and there since he started. The first three years were local---14 hour runs, 6 days per week. Since then he has been regional---48 hour runs, twice a week. Honestly, I saw him more when he was regional than when he was local. He has had more home time as regional. This new regional gig was supposed to be 24 hour runs, three times a week. But when he got back this morning, the company realized they can't make the logistics work. That's why he's in a holding pattern again until they figure out where to put him.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,471,009 times
I watched 5 minutes of an episode last week. They were at Mt. Rushmore and she thought FDR was one of the presidents. All I could think was, "I'd be embarassed out of my skin to expose my ignorance on national TV."

Old 09-07-2011, 12:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,471,009 times
Quote:
I'm very proud of how resilient we have been through these many transitions. I truly feel our marriage can overcome anything.

Hugs, Hopes.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Since I can't switch out the fall/winter clothes because hubby is sleeping, I'll putz on here a bit more.

The brilliance of this thread is being able to talk about anything!

Specifically, right now, Kate Gosselin! I just read a news article that her show as cancelled.

I came to CD to comment and discovered that Kate Plus 8 is too controversial to be discussed in the TV forum.

Anyways, my thoughts after reading a few old articles.

When Kate learned her show was cancelled last month, she said she was excited to consider the many opportunities that will be coming her way.

Today, she says she's freaking out, fearful of her ability to provide for her children---saying she'll do whatever she can to keep them in the house and school distict.

Guess that means no offers came her way, huh?

Why did she buy such a big house? Even if the mortgage is paid, she won't be able to pay the taxes on that property on a nurse's salary. And what on earth did she do with all of that money earned over the past six years? Didnt' she anticipate that the gravy train would run out?
She better consider selling that house and looking for a smaller place. I think the general public are finding multiples passe and looking into their lives as if it will give them a massive headache. I know I do get a headache when I envision myself in her shoes with all those kids. Heck at this point I will be happy when I get my tubes tied!

Old 09-07-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I watched 5 minutes of an episode last week. They were at Mt. Rushmore and she thought FDR was one of the presidents. All I could think was, "I'd be embarassed out of my skin to expose my ignorance on national TV."
I only watched a handful of episodes back when it was Jon and Kate Plus 8. I couldn't stand her. She's one nasty, self absorbed women. I never understood why TLC continued the show with her alone. Well, I guess TLC learned that many people can't stand her. I'm assuming it was cancelled because the ratings dropped. Or maybe it's sadder than that and TLC decided the kids aren't cute enough now that they're getting older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting