Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 09:04 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,471,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I guess my biggest problem is decided between black or white.
It's a personal decision. I went with white because my kitchen has a 50's feel. And I like white kitchens. All the cupboards are a light colored wood and the counter tops are white. Table and chairs are blond wood. The floor is white tile with a pink-ish design.

I'd love to go totally retro and get the old-style turquoise enamel appliances which they are remaking. Alas, that's out of my budget.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:07 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,632,918 times
Quote:
I'd love to go totally retro and get the old-style turquoise enamel appliances which they are remaking. Alas, that's out of my budget.
Dew - my grandmother's kitchen had turquoise, black and white linoleum (yes linoleum), and pink countertops. Her phone was turquoise also. It was like that until she moved out of the house in about 1994. My mom still has her turquoise Sunbeam stand mixer she got as a wedding gift....

Old 04-30-2011, 09:11 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,652,363 times
Quote:
Isn't it unique that many of us in this chat thread have long, successful marriages? What are the odds? They say divorce is so high, yet most of us represent very solid, long lasting marriages.
That's an interesting observation. We are all so incredibly fabulous, that must be why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Zimbo - I love the look of bamboo but I've heard it's very soft and damages easily.....
I had heard it's more durable than hardwoods, but what do I know. Not sure I would put either in a kitchen personally.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,631,561 times
Quote:
Hopes - if I can ask....why would you consider moving? You seem to really like where you live. Unless you have to move for a job why leave a place you are happy with. You seem very nervous at the prospect of living anywhere else and so I'm wondering why you'd do it?
I know, sounds strange, doesn't it? I just want a change. Feel I should get out of my cocoon. The very fact I'm nervous about the prospect tells me I've been here too long. I also think I'll have better offers elsewhere when I'm done with school.

Honestly, at this point, I think we need to try it for our son's sake. He's becoming more agoraphobic, most of which is associated with experiences here. I'm willing to test if having a fresh start somewhere would make a difference. He hates it here but he's not capable of leaving by himself at this point. (This isn't a txt type thing. He's very mature and responsible.)

I know that most people's problems with a place is within themselves (which is the case with him too). But I had positive experiences when I've moved to new places when I was a young adult. It's like you can reinvent yourself. It might work for my son, might not. But I feel like we should give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You are replacing the flooring in the kitchen? Wood is tricky with moisture, unless you are going with bamboo. Have you looked at cork? It's beautiful, and less fatiguing on the legs.
Moisture is the reason I'm hesitating with wood. I was thinking of putting tile near the kitchen door for their water bowls. I'm not sure if I like that idea. I think cork would be a problem for dog water bowls too, wouldn't it?

I'm mostly torn between slate or a neutral tile. I've always liked grey slate but I'm thinking that a neutral tile will be better for a room with northern sunlight. I should probably just make my kitchen beige and white. My dream of a grey slate and black just don't seem to be a good idea.

There are great deals on appliances on C/L if you know what you want.[/quote]

Old 04-30-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
My mom still has her turquoise Sunbeam stand mixer she got as a wedding gift....
Slobber, slobber, slobber.

Totally jealous.

I've mentioned here I have my grandmother's red things. Including her red tomato tea pot, cookie jar. Do you know those? I've got the whole set. I also have her red "Mammy" things, but DH hates them, so they're in a box.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:19 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,631,561 times
Quote:
Zimbo - I love the look of bamboo but I've heard it's very soft and damages easily.....
It is pretty. I've been afraid of it for the same reason----dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It's a personal decision. I went with white because my kitchen has a 50's feel. And I like white kitchens. All the cupboards are a light colored wood and the counter tops are white. Table and chairs are blond wood. The floor is white tile with a pink-ish design.
That sounds so bright and fresh! I like the idea. My problem is I'm one of those people who can't decide between extremes when it comes to my own life. I like the dark kitchens and I like the light, airy kitchens. I think just chatting with everyone here has helped me realize that I need to go with a light, airy kitchen since it doesn't get much natural sunlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
OMG! If I had an unlimited budget, I wouldn't be torn between black and white! There are some really nice expensive appliances out there. I'd fall in love with one stove and then I'd just need to match my appliances to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That's an interesting observation. We are all so incredibly fabulous, that must be why.
That must be it! I can't think of other common denominator!

Old 04-30-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
That's great! You've got 5 years on us! Isn't it unique that many of us in this chat thread have long, successful marriages? What are the odds? They say divorce is so high, yet most of us represent very solid, long lasting marriages.
Also we all seem to have pretty stable kids. None of the horror stories.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:20 AM

4,563 posts, read 10,999,620 times
Morning everyone!

Happy Anniversary mm!

Hopes - I have the kind of fridge with the drawer on the bottom. I love it. I love the french doors and all the space up top. But MM made a good point about making sure you have the room.

Our appliances are all white. We have black counter tops speckled with copper - so we used the white to offset. I'll admit I kind of wish we had gone with stainless steel.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:22 AM

4,563 posts, read 10,999,620 times
That is an interesting observation regarding marriages and kids. Are we all the exception or what?

Our anniversary is in a few weeks. 24 years.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:23 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,652,363 times
Quote:
Moisture is the reason I'm hesitating with wood. I was thinking of putting tile near the kitchen door for their water bowls. I'm not sure if I like that idea. I think cork would be a problem for dog water bowls too, wouldn't it?

I'm mostly torn between slate or a neutral tile. I've always liked grey slate but I'm thinking that a neutral tile will be better for a room with northern sunlight. I should probably just make my kitchen beige and white. My dream of a grey slate and black just don't seem to be a good idea.
Yeah, that's why I wouldn't do wood, everyone in my house suffers from dropsy, and the dog has killed our hardwoods!

Cork flooring is sealed, and looks just like hardwoods. HD has quite a bit if you wanted to take a gander. Slate is beautiful, but can be dark. What about natural travertine? I love the fossils in travertine and it's beige. I also like real linoleum, not the tiles and the other plastic crap. It's quite pretty and very eco-friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting