Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 11:47 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,200,913 times

Advertisements

Good day! I'm having an "off" week! We forgot a couple of things DS7 was supposed to take to school today. He is so sensitive, I knew he would be so upset. I ran them over as soon as I realized. It was only 10 minutes into the school day, but he'd already been crying. A big smile and a big hug from him was a wonderful reward, though. It's the kind of thing that makes me so glad to be home and able to do that. I really want to go back to work, but uuggh! how? Then I went to a new work out class. Beginners encouraged my a$$! I'm going to hurt tomorrow!

Old 05-03-2011, 12:16 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,578,735 times
Poor kid. Funny enough I had to take things in to my son yesterday and today too. I sometimes wonder if I did work if my kids would be a bit more self-sufficient though? They are so dependant on me. I know it gives them security, but I wonder how different it would be if there wasn't always Option Mom.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Poor kid. Funny enough I had to take things in to my son yesterday and today too. I sometimes wonder if I did work if my kids would be a bit more self-sufficient though? They are so dependant on me. I know it gives them security, but I wonder how different it would be if there wasn't always Option Mom.
There's truth to that. I learned the hard way---my son was always forgetting stuff for school and I would stupidly run back and forth to make it all better. My girlfriend's children were waking themselves up and getting ready for school on their own in first grade. (She didn't get home from work until 2am and was sleeping.) TK wakes himself up everyday and gets himself off to school. Children who are forced to fend for themselves are definately more self reliant. Seems harsh but there must be a middle ground a parent can find.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:24 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,961,888 times
I think when they are little, the mom option is great!

As they get older, here is how it goes:

Text from DS this morning: I forgot to make my lunch
Me: Well come home or go to Abo's (pizza) - use your upside card
DS: okay

Later -

DS: I can't eat lunch. I have $2 and thought that was enough to buy a lunch but it's not.
Me: Go to Abo's!
DS: Not enough time now
Me: Bummer

I feel really bad for him - he'll really be hungry when he gets home (this really happened this morning). But it was his late morning (not class first block) so it's not like he didn't have plenty of time. He just was goofing on his computer. Bet he won't do that again!

Old 05-03-2011, 12:27 PM

Bummer, ma, total bummer. I love hanging out here with people who use the same lingo as me.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,392,821 times
"My Dad's GF is SO GREAT!!!!" She helped my daughter pick out some clothes, and told her what colors are best for her...so of course, they are bonding while shopping...I have told my daughter the SAME things...but choose not to get into an argument with her, because all she wanted to wear was black. Apparently, same information from "CHRISSY" is wonderful, gospel, and from me, it is "control freak ***** Mama"....and "Chrissy" is SO great..."she bought me this, and that...". Meanwhile, Mama buys barely anything, but pays car insurance, tuition, books, apartment and spending money.

Just venting...I guess it is good that she enjoys being with her "new" Mother so much. After all, who would want to be with a mean Mama, who never buys DD ANYTHING?!

Old 05-03-2011, 01:39 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,200,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
ya. I guess the world won't end if he forgets his book. And it would be a learning experience for next time.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
"My Dad's GF is SO GREAT!!!!" She helped my daughter pick out some clothes, and told her what colors are best for her...so of course, they are bonding while shopping...I have told my daughter the SAME things...but choose not to get into an argument with her, because all she wanted to wear was black. Apparently, same information from "CHRISSY" is wonderful, gospel, and from me, it is "control freak ***** Mama"....and "Chrissy" is SO great..."she bought me this, and that...". Meanwhile, Mama buys barely anything, but pays car insurance, tuition, books, apartment and spending money.

Just venting...I guess it is good that she enjoys being with her "new" Mother so much. After all, who would want to be with a mean Mama, who never buys DD ANYTHING?!
Try not to be jealous of her relationship with the new women. Kids need adult mentors aside from their parents. I know it's hard, but it would be worse if she hated her.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:54 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,483,364 times
As my kids got older (later elem school years and for sure by jr. high), I told them they had one "free pass" per semester of Option Mom.....after that they were SOL....it actually didn't happen that much. I also told them if they required my help on homework (either in reviewing it or going to the store to obtain supplies) that it must be asked at a reasonable hour. I was off the clock at 9PM (the exception being, if they themselves had been hard at work since they got home from school). I was not obliged to provide assistance at 10PM the night before a book report was due, if they had come home, goofed around for a few hours then started stuff after dinner, then realized at 10 they needed something. Sorry. Too bad, so sad. Just because I wasn't working, was no excuse for them not to plan well or to be cognizant that the world didn't revolve around their needs and that if one was dependent on someone else for help, they needed to be aware that it was done at the convenience of the other person....That's the way of the world, so may as well learn it at home.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,213,993 times
I was the kid who forgot everything. And the kid with the mother who refused to stop what she was doing to bring me my... whatever. I swore up and down that if I had kids and they forgot their math book I was going to be nice and take it to school for them.

Didn't quite turn out that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.