Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 11:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,140,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yes, I was very proud of my son. My dilemma was having 10 little pairs of eyes watching to see what I would do, and the fact that this was a school function made it tricky. I didn't want to set the wrong precedent. It's a fine line teaching kids when to be confrontational and defend themselves, and when it's not worth it to do that.
Sounds like you don't need to teach them that lesson. They both confronted her on their own. Good for them.

The outcome might not have been what it should have been, but I'm glad they had the courage to approach the woman.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:04 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,581,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Wow! Just caught this post! I'm reading it thinking that you ran into someone with no excuses, hypothetically, in real life. Just, wow!

Kudos to you for keeping your cool. And be proud of your son and daughter for politely standing up for themselves.

What would I have done? Gotten the manager. I would have enjoyed watching her be kicked out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Sounds like you don't need to teach them that lesson. They both confronted her on their own. Good for them.

The outcome might not have been what it should have been, but I'm glad they had the courage to approach the woman.
Yeah, you are right, I realize I should have called the manager. Also worth bearing in mind is that children are reared a bit more subserviently in the south I think. Questioning an adult is not exactly encouraged. Not that I agree, nor am I raising my children that way. I think kids can be assertive and polite at the same time.

Did you watch The Good Wife yet?

Old 05-04-2011, 12:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,140,913 times
Quote:
Did you watch The Good Wife yet?
I watched the current episode last night. Nobody surprised me last night, except her husband's right hand man not pushing her for details. I'm not the least bit surprised by the preview for next week showing BIG hiring the weasle to f with his wife. He's a slime. I don't like her college sweetheart/boss either. Love, love, love that she told her MIL to take a hike.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,206,691 times
Quote:
You must have your K orientation soon? I was helping out with that this morning at school, they look so little, especially next to my gigantors.
next week. Strange thing is we won't know which teacher he'll have, so I guess we'll visit both rooms and all 3 teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
So what happens to the group? Can you become MOKs?

I wasn't in a MOP group (not sure they had them back then?) but there was a group of us who met by our kids being in Rec Center things together.

I'm still in touch with one of them. Seeing her kids now as teens when we last saw them as little preschoolers is fun.
The group will go on. 2/3 of the moms will still be there, and those of us moving on will be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
No last thing I was talking about was migraines.
I answered you about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Ooh, rkb, I should be a MOP. How does one go about doing that, or is it an automatic assignment? Am I already a MOP? .
The MOPS chapters are affiliated with churches. Some are more "churchy" than others. Ours was pretty laid back. I think the norm is to meet 2/month. You are assigned to a table and sit with the same people each time all year. We have guest speakers and do crafts, and just visit/commiserate with each other.

Quote:
OK, so I had this weird thing happen yesterday, and I fear a major parenting failure on my part. We were at a school fund-raiser at a Chuck e Cheese type place. We were about to leave and DD8 was feeding those darned tickets into the machine to claim her el-crappo prize. I was standing there with a teacher, and a friend of mine, and there were about 10 kids standing in a line waiting their turn. DS10 was directly behind DD. Anyway DD had fed about 100 tickets in and was about to make a selection when some random woman (not with our school) with a toddler in tow pushes in front of DD and makes a selection, retreives the toy and starts to walk off. I wasn't really paying attention, but DS walks up to the lady says "excuse me, but those were my sister's tickets", the women turns around and say "I don't care, you all were taking too long". By now I have been apprised of the situation, so I go over to her and say "excuse me, those were my daughter's tickets, she was in the middle of making a selection". She looks in my face and says "So what, I don't care". I was pretty taken aback, but sensed some Jerry Springer potential here, so I gave her a good long stink-eye, said a loud "WOW", and we left. DD was extremely upset, I think it was a combination of disappointment and having an adult be so rude to her. Afterwards I chatted with my kids about it, and they realized that she was in the wrong and inconsiderate. I wondered if I should have done anything else. What would you have done?

ETA - This wasn't about the goodie/tickets for me, what I struggled with was this is the first time an adult had been intentionally rude and hurtful to one of my children in my presence, and quite honestly I was at a loss.
That would really **** me off! Not sure what else I would have done. That's one of those situations where I'd think over and over of what I wish I'd said. As for telling the manager, you probably would have got a toy out of it, but I'm not sure it would have served a purpose other than that. I keep telling my son not to tattle... I might have stopped and bought them a little something to cheer them up.

reminds me of the mom who told me to F-off at the pool a few years ago.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:18 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,581,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
reminds me of the mom who told me to F-off at the pool a few years ago.

We have never had poolside incidents, but I have heard of some doozies from surrounding pools. Have people always behaved this badly, or do we think it's getting worse?

Old 05-04-2011, 01:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,206,691 times
I don't know. I was stunned, speechless. I still am when I think of a mom treating another mom like that.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:11 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,487,925 times
Here's an interesting game.....how well can you do?

Rethinking Schools - Just For Fun - Map Game

Old 05-04-2011, 03:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Here's an interesting game.....how well can you do?

Rethinking Schools - Just For Fun - Map Game
I missed 9. But I got 7 of those right on the 2nd try.

I get messed up with all the re-named countries. When I was in school there were places like the Belgian Congo. And vast tracts of land were just the Soviet Union. Not any more.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:41 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,487,925 times
I think I was about 50-50 on my first try (weeks ago). I retake it from time to time so to reinforce it though....I still get mixed up on all the "-stans" - I can always get Pakistan and Turkmenistan but the other ones...I seem to always get one wrong. some of the African "M" countries I struggle with a bit also....

Old 05-04-2011, 03:45 PM

13,473 posts, read 9,987,609 times
I totally sucked.

My excuse is going to be that you've all had kids in school in the last decade.

How does that work for me? No? Oh well, never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.