Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2012, 01:23 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,801,267 times

Advertisements

About the movies - I live in a coastal town in Maine. During summer rainy days the movies are packed, but the rest of the year, well, there's been times that only the two of us were there. Nice, huh?

Old 03-11-2012, 02:18 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,614,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I think its often times losing hope and no one there to care and give support that is the breaking point. I read about another gal around Christmas maybe the year before last that jumped from the large bridge connecting lower and upper Michigan. I feel like these people are forgotten souls. I still remember her especially at the holidays. It pains me how people will fall all over with compassion when some celebrity passes on, even when its of their own doing and seem to just turn the page without a bit of empathy for someone that wasn't a somebody. There is still a lack of understanding of mental health issues and its viewed differently than having other health problems, at least by some. Thanks for caring.

Yeah me too DofM, back when I had the dish all I watched was TCM, TVLand was practically dead by then, changed completely from its original intent. I can see the day where the dish will be a thing of the past too. Heck even on you tube people upload plenty of old films and old shows, and you can watch for free. I'm a G rated kinda guy, the old Disney films, classic TV when writing was clever without innuendo, and old films. Ever watch the silent films of Buster Keaton? He was the best, still fresh and funny after all these years. Even they are on you tube.
I like the Gloria Swanson 1930s silent films, and horror (original "Phantom of The Opera") . The visuals and creativity then were amazing.

Netflix lets you watch online too. I am VERY happy I do not watch CNN or any trash news media. The banks own it, its all corporate controlled and boring.

It is a sad commentary on our society that suicide and tragedy is merely fodder for ratings. Truly like George Orwell's "1984", sadly. But at least some of us with sense can tune it out. I will never use pay tv again.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:28 PM

22,868 posts, read 6,446,773 times
We rarely go to movies. Actually it's better in the middle of the day, during the school year, even
considering babies and toddlers with their moms. They are less likely to distract us than the 2
teenage girls sitting right behind you, talking loudly throughout the movie you are trying to watch.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:15 PM

499 posts, read 581,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
So in December our washing machine we 've had for 9 years dies on us it was the transmission so an expensive repair we chose to replace the washer and the dryer because it was also having problems. In Jan. our built in microwave dies it is only 2 1/2 years old and another major part went bad, we haven't replace it yet we're using a counter top model that we've had for about 15 years still works but very small, now this week the dishwasher goes it is also 9 years old. These were all different brands a whirlpool, kenmore and GE. Why does nothing last anymore??!!
Average life for a domestic machine is rated at about ten years

Old 03-11-2012, 04:23 PM

499 posts, read 581,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
My eye is feeling better thanks to the allergy meds I took last night but that has caused me to be a bit off at work today and I'm really exhausted.

I guess my vent today is that my Thursday commute is brutal where I have to take 2-3 trains home, which takes 3 hours. Well ... My last train tonight was estimated to be at least 40 minutes late so I just had to say screw it and paid a ridiculous 42 dollars for a taxi! At least I'm home safely but I pay so much for the commuter rail but there are just so few direct trains and so many issues that I'm totally fed up! I so want to move closer but with three jobs, it's hard to find a location where the train isn't needed.

Edit: Just checked online and the train ended up being a whopping 50 minutes late ... Had I waited around, I'd likely not have gotten home until close to 9pm ... *sigh*
How do you cope with three jobs? What is your quality of life living like that? My heart really goes out to you, wish I could magic up a wand and help you.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:46 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,993,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
About the movies - I live in a coastal town in Maine. During summer rainy days the movies are packed, but the rest of the year, well, there's been times that only the two of us were there. Nice, huh?
Coastal town in Maine, I'll bet its really beautiful there. I used to think I'd eventually move to maine, its been in my mind for years, but it seems too far now.

I was reading they are building some new drive in movie theatres in Texas that will be showing all first run movies. I was surprised by that. I loved the old drive in's. I haven't been to a movie theatre in many years, maybe 25. I don't care for crowds or newer movies.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:54 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,277,236 times
Oooo, drive ins! Honey, get the popcorn going; I'll fill the cooler!

Old 03-11-2012, 05:30 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,801,267 times
Quote:
Coastal town in Maine, I'll bet its really beautiful there. I used to think I'd eventually move to maine, its been in my mind for years, but it seems too far now.
It was fine for a while, we've lived here 14 years, but I'm desperate to get out, only my husband is too lazy to go through another long distance move.

Winters are long and cold, with a lot of snow and ice storms along the coast to boot. It's normal for the power to go out for days no matter where you live. Generator sales are booming, people are fed up with the power outages. Oil heat is the norm, few areas have access to the gas line.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:27 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,037,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quenelle View Post
How do you cope with three jobs? What is your quality of life living like that? My heart really goes out to you, wish I could magic up a wand and help you.
Thanks Quenelle ... I am a professional counselor who is trying to gain full-time employment counseling college students but the pathway is to do adjunct counseling hours and build up experience. I work at three colleges and, believe it or not, my life's quality is much better than when I had a full-time, fully benefited government job because I enjoy what I do and there are periods where I can get several weeks off at a time. I'm also earning more money and able to save more. My beef has to do more with the fact that I have to commute via mass transit from the city to the suburbs. Also, I would like to relocate but due to the fact that each of my jobs are at least 15-20 miles apart, there isn't a central location that would improve my commute (actually there is but I'm not moving to Downtown LA). I think I just need to suck it up and quit whining about my commute but it does get old spending 5-6 hours per working day commuting.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:54 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,907,468 times
^^ That would be great if you could do counseling via online remotely from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics