Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 03:58 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,283,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I've ended up last night with a good head-cold and went to bed early; this morning it isn't any better.
Hope you are feeling better today!

Old 03-10-2012, 03:59 PM

499 posts, read 584,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Sorry, I just can't wrap my brain around things like that being a 'disease'. I, at one point, weighed 220lbs. I sure don't remember bumping into a fat person and being infected. Oh, I remember how I caught that 'disease', by feeding my face with junk and way too much of it. At least I was able to cure myself, now I tip the scales at a hefty 114lbs. I have no sympathy for these people that say it's not their fault, it's a medical condition, all the while they're power eating Twinkies. A new form of Alien Hand Syndrome????
How I agree with you! For more years than I care to remember I was a heavy smoker (over 40 a day) I managed to quit, it wasn't easy but I did it and so can those stuffing their faces with food. I have no sympathy with them. Here in the U.K. we have had to have special ambulances built, even windows taken out of houses to get these fat pigs to hospital and then they have to have specially reinforced beds and operating tables. They get free gastric bands fitted on the NHS while cancer patients are dying through lack of care. It really makes me angry. Why not just let them eat themselves to death Would you believe some areas have even had to build larger crematoriums to cope with the obese.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:18 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,032,934 times
As far as America being fat. It's eating too much junk food thats clogging their arteries and lack of exercise. Sit at the job, sit at home, too much fast food with biggie portions. You don't see many fat vegetarians though. I don't consider it a "disease" either, though it can cause people to have many health problems. No matter how much public money is wasted "educating" people, it comes down to common sense and responsibility. People are different too, one may be able to eat the whole pie and not gain a pound, the other eats a piece and sees the difference. Moderation and exercise = common sense.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:17 PM

Guess I'm the only one here tonight. My major stress is my dogs cancer, its looks so gross, putting his stuff on it and it just set me off tonight. You can hope/pray whatever you prefer and the outcome won't change. She's still eating now but that could change over night, ya just never know with it. I'm angry at the bad things that happen to pets and decent people while the scum of the earth lives high on the hog.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:19 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,812,905 times
I woke up at 5am and after laying around in bed trying to fall back asleep I gave up, got up, took care of some business matters and decided since no one else was going to be up for hours, I'd get in some exercise time.
Last week I decided that nothing was going to interrupt me this time, not business concerns or a retired husband (youngest kid is now ensconced in college). I'm 60 years old and have been battling my weight for most of my life, even when I was younger and taking long brisk walks and hikes almost daily.
Last week I adjusted my treadmill and used it every day, increasing speed and time daily, getting back into the swing of things. Unfortunately, I had to stop and adjust the tension on the belt several times each session, truly aggravating.
The other day the stupid thing started acting up and there was a puddle of oil under the machine. I found out it was caused by one of two things, both expensive to fix. Aggravating. The machine is a couple of months out of warranty. More aggravation.
Fine, I said. Since I can't walk on the treadmill or outside, I'll walk inside. I've done it before. My house's floorplan is great for walking. I strapped on my heart rate monitor and walked off over 300 calories in an hour. Did it again the next couple of days, even though my husband found my pounding around the house annoying.
Getting back to this morning, I started walking and couldn't get my pulse rate up past 100, so I decided to kick things up by climbing some stairs. I did something to me knee halfway up. and carefully made my way back down. Okay - no stairs today. I decided to try the beat up old exercise bike and see if a brisk hard pedal would get my heart rate up. It hurt my knee to get on and start off, but then it felt ok. I looked at my heart rate monitor, and found I couldn't get it past 85, so I tightened the tension some more. I managed to get up to 86 and my knee was starting to hurt from trying to move the flywheel.
I limped my way back up to the kitchen and decided to try and scoot my way across the floor on my butt. It takes a lot of exertion to do this for any period of time, and I was sure that should get my heart rate up.
Monitor showed no pulse rate. Either the battery died or I did.
If I'm dead and just a spirit thinking she's typing a message my troubles and aggravations are over. if the battery is dead I am truly ticked off because that means I have to drive to Walmart tomorrow and hope they have the battery. Last time I needed a similar battery they didn't. Target down the road didn't either.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:52 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,113,440 times
I hear your frustration 2Cold .... I invested in an Elliptical machine and realized that the thing makes so much creaking noises that I've been feeling too self-conscious to use it as I'm on the second floor. Seems that every time I try to do something to get in shape, my knee or foot starts hurting and I just get discouraged. I wished that I could have taken up dancing when I was younger and kept at it as now, it is such a battle

Old 03-11-2012, 11:57 AM

12,339 posts, read 17,258,474 times
Default Mine-SHUT UP and enjoy the movie!

Even going early in the eve before the 8:00 PM and beyond rush gives no respite. Just yesterday at 3:00 PM, People texting, facebooking, talking and one idiot shouting during one action scene.

Ya can't chill for about 2 hours? You are not THAT important! Go to Jerry Springer if you want an audience!!! Then use the "jerry beads" to whip yourself. Ya happy now???

Old 03-11-2012, 12:06 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,113,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Even going early in the eve before the 8:00 PM and beyond rush gives no respite. Just yesterday at 3:00 PM, People texting, facebooking, talking and one idiot shouting during one action scene.

Ya can't chill for about 2 hours? You are not THAT important! Go to Jerry Springer if you want an audience!!! Then use the "jerry beads" to whip yourself. Ya happy now???
Yeah ... This is one reason why I prefer to watch movies at home on DVD .... Not worth the overpriced cost of admission just to deal with inconsiderate folks who cannot remain quiet so that EVERYONE can enjoy the movie. Plus, I prefer subtitles to be on and I can't get that at the overpriced theater.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:20 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,341,023 times
Way to go, 2cold! Getting started is the hardest part.

Cell phones should be confiscated in some cases like entering a movie theatre, IMO. It's my belief that there should be times when one should not be available by phone. Who says we're at someone's beck and call 24/7???

Whew! I feel much better now!

Old 03-11-2012, 12:56 PM

Its not that they need to be talking, texting or updating their FB page to tell all their fans they are now watching a movie. It's some sort of self importance disease people have these days. Like someone is watching them text or talk, or cares if they do or don't have a life. See I have friends, I'm popular, look everybody. Kinda pathetic and childish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics