Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 09:06 AM

230 posts, read 276,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivingthegame View Post
I can only imagine that it is retro for everyone. If you missed any checks that you were eligible for, than you should be able to obtain those retroactively. That would be the fair thing to do anyway.

No one should lose any money because of other people's games.

Can the governor veto this budget too, and create another wait for the unemployed? This has been ridiculous since April 16th, but it is reaching an all new level..............

I was eagerly waiting for this week, and the SAME thing is going to happen! An attached EB bill to a state budget that is going to get vetoed!!! I have called these people, written these people, and they are doing whatever they want anyway. They are ignoring the 42k people, and they are pushing forward with the same bull****.

i don't know what to do
Problem is that people who went into EB after the 16th are not "technically" eligible. She can and she probably will veto it, she has said as much, unless something changes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 09:12 AM

45 posts, read 53,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaylin View Post
Problem is that people who went into EB after the 16th are not "technically" eligible. She can and she probably will veto it, she has said as much, unless something changes

Thats gonna be a huge problem. They will get the full 20 weeks but no back pay so its going to be hard to make up the ground they lost while waiting for EB to go through. It's a nail in the coffin for them, I really feel bad for them.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:28 AM

10 posts, read 11,785 times
Default Lets hope this is the budget.

The Governor vetoed the last bill because it cut education too deep, this has been her main point of contention all along. This new bill doesn't cut the education part of the budget as deeply. The republicans claim that the tax cuts and budget cuts they are proposing will create jobs in NC. This is possible since the same strategy seems to be working in Virginia. Another big argument between the Legislature and the Governor is the 1 cent temporary sales tax, the Governor would like to extend it and the Legislature says it has to go, so this could be a stumbling block. I think everyone knows that there are going to have to be budget cuts, its just a matter of where the cuts are made. Hopefully the Legislature has made enough adjustments to this budget to suit the Governor and it will not get vetoed. Personally I think if this one gets vetoed, it will get over ridden unless the Governor calls a meeting and shows everyone she is willing to get her hands in the mix.

I resent both sides using us as political pawns in this whole mess, and trust me it is BOTH sides using us. I really wish they had sent a clean bill to the Governor and then decided to argue the budget. However we have to face the fact that the future of extended unemployment benefits has been tied to the budget.

As for the back pay, there is no safe answer to give anyone, it will be done on a case by case basis for the most part, but then again that is simply speculation on my part, I am just going on the past. That does not mean it will move slowly, what it means is after the budget is passed I will give em a day or so for the directives to be put out and then give em a call. A lot of those checks will go out automatically while others may require some information, we all know the system is not perfect.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes2theskies View Post
Thats gonna be a huge problem. They will get the full 20 weeks but no back pay so its going to be hard to make up the ground they lost while waiting for EB to go through. It's a nail in the coffin for them, I really feel bad for them.

It has been said several times that they are working on a solution for those folks.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:30 AM

11 posts, read 14,310 times
This is straight bull **** these ignorant bastards are playing with too many people and quite frankly I'm fed up with it all of th
em can can kiss my
ass!!

Old 05-24-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unemployedjoe View Post
The Governor vetoed the last bill because it cut education too deep, this has been her main point of contention all along. This new bill doesn't cut the education part of the budget as deeply. The republicans claim that the tax cuts and budget cuts they are proposing will create jobs in NC. This is possible since the same strategy seems to be working in Virginia. Another big argument between the Legislature and the Governor is the 1 cent temporary sales tax, the Governor would like to extend it and the Legislature says it has to go, so this could be a stumbling block. I think everyone knows that there are going to have to be budget cuts, its just a matter of where the cuts are made. Hopefully the Legislature has made enough adjustments to this budget to suit the Governor and it will not get vetoed. Personally I think if this one gets vetoed, it will get over ridden unless the Governor calls a meeting and shows everyone she is willing to get her hands in the mix.

I resent both sides using us as political pawns in this whole mess, and trust me it is BOTH sides using us. I really wish they had sent a clean bill to the Governor and then decided to argue the budget. However we have to face the fact that the future of extended unemployment benefits has been tied to the budget.

As for the back pay, there is no safe answer to give anyone, it will be done on a case by case basis for the most part, but then again that is simply speculation on my part, I am just going on the past. That does not mean it will move slowly, what it means is after the budget is passed I will give em a day or so for the directives to be put out and then give em a call. A lot of those checks will go out automatically while others may require some information, we all know the system is not perfect.
Actually I am not seeing the BOTH sides to this.. One side says give me a bill, and the other says no, we are using it as leverage.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:38 AM

118 posts, read 143,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelp View Post
For me the 20 weeks would provide enough time to complete a backup plan to start my own business. If not that then perhaps the economy will finally improve enough so I can find a position.
Amen to that!!!! Thats my plan as well In fact I think that the trend in the next couple of years will find more and more people fed up with the oversaturated job market ventureing out own their own.

Last edited by lw2011; 05-24-2011 at 09:52 AM..

Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 AM

264 posts, read 364,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaylin View Post
Actually I am not seeing the BOTH sides to this.. One side says give me a bill, and the other says no, we are using it as leverage.
Thaylin, I don't see anything BOTH about it either. It sounds so fair and reasonable to say, "Both sides are to blame." Except when they're NOT.

I think people just don't want to take a second look at their long-held biases.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:06 AM

264 posts, read 313,608 times
North Carolina General Assembly - Press Audio

live audio dem press conference now!

Old 05-24-2011, 10:34 AM

11 posts, read 14,310 times
Voltage SecureMail for Mobile Devices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina