Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 02:36 PM

656 posts, read 1,142,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Not total, just Tier 1. You qualified for EUC in your current benefit year and may have not gotten into it by May 22nd, therefore from whatever point you exhausted your regular UI, you HAD been drawing EB. But now that the EUC program has been extended, any of those weeks since May 22nd that had been paid as EB, have now been reverted to EUC, so you may only have x number of weeks of Tier 1 left (since technically they've already been claimed back to May 22nd or whenever you exhausted your regular UI), and then you'd go into Tier 2. But your EB should be back up to the full number of weeks that you'd qualify for EB, since technically now those weeks back to May 22nd (or whenever) have been counted as EUC. As I said before, it would be as if you have never yet been paid any EB in your 2nd benefit year.

You could, if you have a chance, visit your local office and have someone show you your benefit payment history screen (B.07) and you could see what codes (programs) you'd been paid, dating back to whatever dates.
Ok, so I think my hard head gets it now,lol!
So I started EB June 8th, so it looks like I have 3 weeks of tier 1 left and then will go into tier 2.
Thanks for the explanation, its usually takes me twice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 02:44 PM

656 posts, read 1,142,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlincoln View Post
^i'd have to say youre correct except that your EB ISNT all used up but 3 weeks, right? Tier 1 EUC effectively goes back and replaces your EB and you get your full EB when theres no EUC, at the end.
my understanding is you NOW have 3 weeks of Tier 1 left, then Tier 2, 3, and right about then its going to be Nov 27.
then, full EB.
Yep your right!
Jdljr confirmed all my confusion after reading your post, lol!
Honestly, thanks for bring that to my attention, because unless I read it on here, I'm at a loss.
I wouldn't have known about the EUC replacing EB and EB going back to full benefits at the end of the tiers(IF) our state still has EB is effect by then.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:46 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,443,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
I got the letter! I got the letter!

And yeah, all it really says is to call the benefits extension hotline to file a new claim if you're over 4 weeks since the last certification. It too says that they were to be accepting calls M-F from 8:30-6...and they were most definitely closed at 4:15 yesterday, so I don't know what that was all about.

Has any over 4-weeker called the extension hotline yet? What happened? Do you file a new claim over the phone or something? It almost sounds like that is the case...but I'm not exactly sure what else they're looking for. I'm sure if I want back weeks paid, they'll advise me to bring them down to my local office, I guess.
They may or may not have you take your worksearch records to your local office, not sure. If people are calling our office wanting us to reopen their claims and process the back weeks we are telling them they have to come in person and bring their worksearch records. But not sure if anyone going through the "hotline" is required to do that.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:43 PM

616 posts, read 1,756,492 times
I think I understand what's happening ...

I am also in Year 2, received 14 weeks of regular unemployment. Put on EB at end of May while the Senate fiddled around. Received a letter today indicating eligible for 11 weeks of EUC, tier not specified, but it is at my current weekly rate not at first year's weekly rate so I assume it is Tier 1. I understand how EUC will now swap out the EB I received.

My only confusion is - if EB is still being paid when I run through Tier 4 and if there are no other Tiers, am I able to get EB given that I received regular unemployment in 2nd year? I think the answer is no but I want to double-check.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
I think I understand what's happening ...

I am also in Year 2, received 14 weeks of regular unemployment. Put on EB at end of May while the Senate fiddled around. Received a letter today indicating eligible for 11 weeks of EUC, tier not specified, but it is at my current weekly rate not at first year's weekly rate so I assume it is Tier 1. I understand how EUC will now swap out the EB I received.

My only confusion is - if EB is still being paid when I run through Tier 4 and if there are no other Tiers, am I able to get EB given that I received regular unemployment in 2nd year? I think the answer is no but I want to double-check.
If you qualified for NEW extensions in your current benefit year, then yes, you would be eligible for the EB in your current benefit year since the EB is based off that year. EB cannot be pulled forward from your 1st benefit year to your 2nd benefit year IF you received new, regular UI in your 2nd benefit year. So...if you received regular UI in your 2nd benefit year and did not qualify for NEW extensions, then NO EB. If you qualified for NEW extensions in your 2nd benefit year after receiving regular UI, then you can get that EB since it is based off that 2nd benefit year, provided the program is still in place when you get to that point.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:01 PM

776 posts, read 1,687,828 times
Quote:
They may or may not have you take your worksearch records to your local office, not sure. If people are calling our office wanting us to reopen their claims and process the back weeks we are telling them they have to come in person and bring their worksearch records. But not sure if anyone going through the "hotline" is required to do that.
Gotcha. Yeah, I've reached out to two local office reps over the past few days, and they've only told me to either wait for the letter or call the hotline for assistance. After evaluating my finances and such...I'm surprised to learn that I technically really don't need the back weeks and would probably be fine telling them to just reactivate my claim so I can just start certifying again. That just might be easier for me as long as my benefit year doesn't expire since I'd be pushing the length of my benefits out about 5 weeks. Do you know if I'd be able to just bring worksearch records in for like 2 of the 5 weeks so I can just certify for those two weeks (and hopefully next week)? In other words, do I have to certify ALL weeks or can I just certify some or none?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
Gotcha. Yeah, I've reached out to two local office reps over the past few days, and they've only told me to either wait for the letter or call the hotline for assistance. After evaluating my finances and such...I'm surprised to learn that I technically really don't need the back weeks and would probably be fine telling them to just reactivate my claim so I can just start certifying again. That just might be easier for me as long as my benefit year doesn't expire since I'd be pushing the length of my benefits out about 5 weeks. Do you know if I'd be able to just bring worksearch records in for like 2 of the 5 weeks so I can just certify for those two weeks (and hopefully next week)? In other words, do I have to certify ALL weeks or can I just certify some or none?
I would think you should be able to certify for just the weeks you want to certify. Techincally, if you tell them that you didn't search for work these weeks, but you did search the other weeks, you would be eligible for only those weeks that you searched. However, what I don't know is whether they'd just key those weeks that you did search for work and leave the others as uncertified, OR, whether they'd actually set issues for those weeks you didn't certify and actually disqualify those weeks. I would think that it would be the former...that they'd just leave those uncertified weeks alone and do nothing with them. Regardless, those uncertified or disqualified weeks should have no adverse effect on the rest of your claim as long as you let them know that you ARE NOW actively searching for work (as I know you have been all along) and you want to begin certifying again now that the EUC has been extended.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:36 PM

776 posts, read 1,687,828 times
Quote:
I would think you should be able to certify for just the weeks you want to certify. Techincally, if you tell them that you didn't search for work these weeks, but you did search the other weeks, you would be eligible for only those weeks that you searched. However, what I don't know is whether they'd just key those weeks that you did search for work and leave the others as uncertified, OR, whether they'd actually set issues for those weeks you didn't certify and actually disqualify those weeks. I would think that it would be the former...that they'd just leave those uncertified weeks alone and do nothing with them. Regardless, those uncertified or disqualified weeks should have no adverse effect on the rest of your claim as long as you let them know that you ARE NOW actively searching for work (as I know you have been all along) and you want to begin certifying again now that the EUC has been extended.
Great thanks!

I guess it really doesn't matter. I have my worksearch records up to date, so if they need to see it, then it's no biggie. It's just that my second child is due the same week I would exhaust Tier 4, so if it gets to that point, I actually wouldn't mind not collecting back weeks and just extend "the date of total exhaustion of benefits" out an extra 5 weeks after the birth. That actually might work out better for me, but I can ask the rep at the hotline if that's possible.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:33 PM

616 posts, read 1,756,492 times
Thank you very much! What would we do without you????

Quote:
If you qualified for NEW extensions in your current benefit year, then yes, you would be eligible for the EB in your current benefit year since the EB is based off that year. EB cannot be pulled forward from your 1st benefit year to your 2nd benefit year IF you received new, regular UI in your 2nd benefit year. So...if you received regular UI in your 2nd benefit year and did not qualify for NEW extensions, then NO EB. If you qualified for NEW extensions in your 2nd benefit year after receiving regular UI, then you can get that EB since it is based off that 2nd benefit year, provided the program is still in place when you get to that point.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,007 times
Default Reading between the lines.

Hello all. I've been followng this thread for months. I'm grateful for all the UE benefit explanations that have been posted. Now, I have a question that I haven't seen posted before.

I'm in the second benefit year. Was in EB when the latest extension bill was signed. For the past two weeks, when certifying I get this message:

"Your claim for the week of 7/31/2010 has been accepted but cannot be processed for payment because there is an issue on your claim pending an eligibility ruling. A determination will be made and mailed to you and your claim will be processed accordingly. "

Please tell me what could have caused the issue and what might I do to help resolve it quickly.

Thanks for your help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina