Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 04:54 PM

29 posts, read 57,844 times

Advertisements

just to add jdljr: my benefit yr began 4/5/09, and ends 4/3/10. Base period is from 1/1/08 - 12/31/08. Total wages for that period is 42,300 and high quarter (3rd) is a bit over 13,000. Does this help? Thanks so much, again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 04:58 PM

thanks jdljr!! what is an NIE? How do I know if I have a balance of tier 2 funds? Shouldn't I?

Old 03-09-2010, 05:05 PM

Lastly (hopefully *smile*) am I correct in thinking that what I made from 1/1/09 till the date I became unemployed (approx 4/10/09) will determine the viability of any second claim? And how?

Old 03-09-2010, 05:24 PM

20 posts, read 39,392 times
can someone help me please...while filing my claim on 3/6/10 I wasn't able to. exhaustion of benefits.had a message said 2/27 has been claimed on a new benefit year. today 3/9/10 I got a letter stating that I wasn't eligible due to insufficient wages base period. I have been through 3 tiers and the pull forward from an existing claim. was to be for 2/27 I guess cause of the message has been claimed.I also got another letter stating i was eligible for second tier for the one week you know the overpayment again. what is going on I can't file. I have talked to everyone at the esc and told me that I was added to tier 1V. should I protest tomorrow or should I just assume that 2/27/10 message that the claim is on a new benefit year. please help I'm going crazy here.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:40 PM

656 posts, read 1,139,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Alright everyone, after watching the board since last Friday night and seeing the need still exists, I'll come back to answer questions. I agree this is a public message board and people are entitled to their opinions, and I respect everyone's opinion, even if negative about me or my employer. That's life. If I've rubbed anyone the wrong way, I apologize. But let me be clear - every minute spent on this message board is voluntary. I am in no way compensated (and don't expect to be) for my presence here. Crazy? Maybe. When combined with dealing with this all day at my office is it exhausting? Absolutely. But clearly there is a need that in many respects is not being met and I am happy to help where I can. I may not be able to help everyone, sometimes it's very difficult without looking at the claim. But many of you have done a good job to explain your situation in your posts.

There are certain things I have very limited information on, and seldom receive information. Case in point: Tier 4. Someone has mentioned in a post here that Tier 4 is to be done by/on March 17th. Would you believe we have received nothing in my local office to that effect? It's true. I don't know why. I've stopped asking - they'll let us know when it's ready and what we need to do.

I won't guarantee for how long I'll still monitor this thread. There will come a day that I may not. I'm human and can suffer from burnout just like anyone else. For now, though, let's move forward.

Because there are pages and pages of posts since I last posted, let's start from this point forward with questions - it'll be too much for me to try and catch up on.
net-(((((HUGS))))))
Thanksssssssss, so much

Old 03-09-2010, 05:41 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA11 View Post
1. WELCOME BACK!!! I think I speak for 99% of us, when I say, you are the one bright spot about being unemployed! Ha ha ha

2. I understand the frustration and anger of those who are out of work.. its hard right now, and the extensions have been a real mess all the way around, and it seems as if a LOT of people at the ESC have wrong info or just guess without knowing and unwittingly pass on wrong info.... BUTTTT we have to remember that anger at the system is NOT the same as anger at JDLJR and we have to keep that in mind.... of course we are all upset about the situation, but we have to not let that overtake our good judgement.

3. I think the biggest question now (from the last 5 pages or so) concerns people in my situation.....

a. we DID qualify for TIER 1 and TIER 2 last year (i got the max weeks in both)

b. we started a SECOND YEAR, and do NOT meet the 1.5 rule to qualify for extensions on our SECOND year

c. we are "hoping" that congress passes a bill extend the programs through the end of 2010 (which I think we all expect to happen this week or next) and are worried about whether or not we will get TIER 3 and TIER 4

Its my understanding that we should be able to pull from last year (IF we qualified for tier 1 and tier 2 last year and have nothing to disqualify us since then) EVEN if we do not qualify based on our CURRENT/second year claim

BUTTTTTTT the problem is that we are having a LOT of esc reps who either dont know anything about pulling forward based on last year, or who are telling us that we CANNOT do that
OR who are telling us that we are not monetarilly eligible based on the 1.5 rule....

HELP????

PS i run out of year 2 at the end of April and hope that i roll over smoothly into TIER 3 (if i dont have a job by then) but im worried...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA11 View Post
ALSO
if we were NOT able to pull forward from the last year claim for TIER 3 and TIER 4----- Then wouldnt that mean that most of us wouldnt get those tiers at all????

I mean "Theoretically" if we are at that point... that means we have allready used our regular 26 initial weeks, our tier 1 and tier 2 and MOST of us would have either hit EB or rolled into a second year....

ANNNDDDDD by doing the math, that would mean that people who are at TIER 3 level would not have worked in a year or more.... and therefore most people WOULDNT meet any 1.5 rule to be monetarilly elible would they??????

I am reallllly hoping that is not the case, because then 99% of us would not qualify for 3 and 4????
Yes, if you exhaust your regular UI in your 2nd benefit year and do not qualify for new extensions, they will run the "pull forward" program that would pull forward any unused EUC from your 1st benefit year. This should not be something foreign to any ESC Rep, but I guess it is. Wherever you left off with EUC in your previous benefit year is where you'd pick up in your new benefit year (with that first benefit year weekly benefit amount, too) when they run the pull forward programming.

As of this moment (last I heard) they only run the pull forward programming once a month (at the beginning of the month), so there are some people that are having to wait until they run the programming.

And unfortunately, nothing works perfectly as most of you guys know. There will likely be a few claims here and there that just don't pick up the pull forward programming and will require (hopefully) a manual intervention of some sort to get the funds pulled forward.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excal4347 View Post
When I filed online today I was told my benifit year had ended. March 09 -10 Does any one know if their is ext. I was in the 13 weeks of tier 2 . Thanks for anyone who might know.
If your benefit year ends, you must attempt a new benefit year to continue your eligibility for benefits. A benefit year is a 52-week circle of time, and when that time passes, the claim ends. If, in your new benefit year you qualify for a new, regular UI claim, that's where you'll start over (and serve a new waiting week). If you don't have enough wages in the base period to qualify for a new, regular UI claim, you must still attempt the new benefit year, and any unused extension money from your old benefit year will be brought forward for you to draw (with no new waiting week).

Old 03-09-2010, 05:43 PM

407 posts, read 660,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Yes, if you exhaust your regular UI in your 2nd benefit year and do not qualify for new extensions, they will run the "pull forward" program that would pull forward any unused EUC from your 1st benefit year. This should not be something foreign to any ESC Rep, but I guess it is. Wherever you left off with EUC in your previous benefit year is where you'd pick up in your new benefit year (with that first benefit year weekly benefit amount, too) when they run the pull forward programming.

As of this moment (last I heard) they only run the pull forward programming once a month (at the beginning of the month), so there are some people that are having to wait until they run the programming.

And unfortunately, nothing works perfectly as most of you guys know. There will likely be a few claims here and there that just don't pick up the pull forward programming and will require (hopefully) a manual intervention of some sort to get the funds pulled forward.

OK so i "assume" that if they do the pull forward at that once a month time, that they would Back Pay any missed weeks all at once????

ALSO question???? I would theoretically do the roll over at the end of April... IF I do not automatically roll over---- is it better to WAIT until that once a month time??? Or should I call at once and have someone take a look at it manually??????

AND for a tier 3 rollover, would I call my local office??? Or do I need to call Raleigh to get that manually done???

Thanks a million!

Old 03-09-2010, 05:45 PM

407 posts, read 660,839 times
ALSO this may sound dumb, I had started EB before my first year ended... and did that for about 3-4 weeks I think

QUESTION--- does that affect my TIER 3 amounts/weeks at all???
i would think NOT but who knows?

Old 03-09-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by member2009 View Post
what is 1.5 formula? also did the max weekly amount change in 2008, 2009 ? if i feel that my weekly benefit amount was miscalculated in 2008, can i go back and ask for additional money?
The 1.5 times formula is something that must be met to qualify for extensions. Simply, your total base period wages must be equal to or greater than 1.5 times the high quarter in the base period. Here is a simple example:

High quarter in the base period = $10,000. Total base period wages would need to be equal to or greater than $15,000 (1.5 times $10,000) to qualify for extensions.

The maximum weekly benefit amount changes each year, usually around August. In Aug 2008 it was $494. In Aug 2009 it changed to $505. It's calculated using a formula having to do with the average weekly wage in the state. The weekly benefit amount is calculated by taking your high quarter in the base period and dividing that quarter by 26. If the number you come up with when you do this is greater than $505 per week, you still only get the maximum of $505.

I don't believe you would be able to get additional monies from a previous benefit year. I'd highly doubt that anything was miscalculated. The only thing that might have happened is that perhaps wages for a certain quarter weren't reported by your employer, and if they happened to be the high quarter wages, then a lower quarter would have been used to calculate your weekly benefit amount. But the system has that formula and computation down cold...it always uses the high quarter in the base period to determine weekly benefit amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina