Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2018, 11:02 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,443,760 times

Advertisements

Charlotte is the front-runner to host the 2020 Republican National Convention — because no one else wants to

It’s unclear what exactly is in the bid. But Charlotte now finds itself as the frontrunner to host the convention.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/1239...else-wants-to/

Old 04-23-2018, 11:28 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,519,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Charlotte is the front-runner to host the 2020 Republican National Convention — because no one else wants to

It’s unclear what exactly is in the bid. But Charlotte now finds itself as the frontrunner to host the convention.

Is this a good thing? NC has gotten a lot of black eyes lately thanks to the republicans. All we need is Trump proclaiming how much he loves Charlotte and NC. No thanks hopefully they'll withdraw the bid.

Think of all the jobs and development that were lost because we were associated with back woods republicans. Is this an image we really want? Not to get too political but we're still trying to get over the mess from hb2.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:51 AM

749 posts, read 1,318,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Is this a good thing? NC has gotten a lot of black eyes lately thanks to the republicans. All we need is Trump proclaiming how much he loves Charlotte and NC. No thanks hopefully they'll withdraw the bid.

Think of all the jobs and development that were lost because we were associated with back woods republicans. Is this an image we really want? Not to get too political but we're still trying to get over the mess from hb2.
Yes. Money is money. Both sides of the aisle on city council have shown support for this as well. We already did the DNC, now on to RNC.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:53 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,360,453 times
Quote:

The counter-protests in Raleigh could no doubt help NC win HQ2...

Old 04-23-2018, 12:15 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,403,553 times
Quote:

Is Raleigh losing jobs and development (I know the answer to that.)

Charlotte is on fire as far as jobs and growth. Believe it or not, a lot of corporations are big cheerleaders of the GOP. They suppprt the GOP. They like we are bankrupting our country so they can grow their profits. Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Raleigh, Charlotte, Miami, Orlando are not suffering one bit due to our more conservative states.

This is relevant to the topic in I think Amazon is looking for tech talent and where it can best grow. Maybe Raleigh is too small of a labor pool or more difficult to draw people to than DC. Maybe there’s no good real estate in DC and NC is willing to pay for some roads to a large Amazon campus and provide lots of infrastructure.

I think this will be purely be made on what’s best for the company operationally. Traffic, congestion, Gays is just a bunch of noise.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

Charlotte is on fire as far as jobs and growth. Believe it or not, a lot of corporations are big cheerleaders of the GOP. They suppprt the GOP. They like we are bankrupting our country so they can grow their profits. Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Raleigh, Charlotte, Miami, Orlando are not suffering one bit due to our more conservative states.

This is relevant to the topic in I think Amazon is looking for tech talent and where it can best grow. Maybe Raleigh is too small of a labor pool or more difficult to draw people to than DC. Maybe there’s no good real estate in DC and NC is willing to pay for some roads to a large Amazon campus and provide lots of infrastructure.

I think this will be purely be made on what’s best for the company operationally. Traffic, congestion, Gays is just a bunch of noise.
How many companies and events passed on Charlotte and Raleigh because of HB2? If you think it's all in the past,that's fine. I for one don't believe think memories are that short. Just my opinion though.

But since you brought it up. I'm sure the RNC would impress Amazon and even Apple.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
How many companies and events passed on Charlotte and Raleigh because of HB2? If you think it's all in the past,that's fine. I for one don't believe think memories are that short. Just my opinion though.

But since you brought it up. I'm sure the RNC would impress Amazon and even Apple.

Apple has a large server and solar farm off US321 north of Lincolnton. Amazon has warehouses in Charlotte and Concord.

Charlotte does not need Amazon HQ with 50,000 employees and the families which would put a higher tax to support all these people.

Who knows where Apple will go.

Last quote I have see, Charlotte is gaining about 21.900 people a year. You tell something is growing by the traffic.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

There's a reason most cities are saying no thanks to the RNC. That's all I'm saying.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:59 PM

4,616 posts, read 6,451,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post

It’s like the dog who chased the skunk, and then actually caught it.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:37 PM

If it is on TV I will not watch, I have no use for Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.