Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2018, 03:35 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,403,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
We are talking about downtown's.

Please try to keep up. And your ignorance is showing.

Ignorance because I don’t think Greenville North Carolina is going to have a transformation? Particularly in comparison to downtown Raleigh? In 15 years when triangle would have adds an entire Greenville every couple years or so.,,,

You don’t just grow a downtown by pouring some water over something and it spouts up. There has to be a combination of factors... Economical, size, culture, corporate scene, infrastructure, etc.

In what ways will Greenville change in the next 15 years that will be more transformative than Raleigh? What’s going on between now and the next year? There’s countless ways a city can transform. For Charlotte, I would say uptown really transformed from 2010 in an unrecognizable way ground level and in 15 years. It’ll be cray cray... even sorta disregarding skyscrapers (sort of because they bring people and retail), the retail and amenities being added are a game changer for uptown.

Charlotte, Raleigh & Durham are the 3 that will really transform. I’m not even entirely sure Greensboro is all that transformative. Improving. I’m not trying to be ignorant or bash the smaller cities/towns. But at some point, we have to come to grips with reality. Charlotte, Raleigh & Durham are gang busters and the rest is peanuts. To be quite frank. That’s not to say I’m not interested in the quaint upgrades and the nice little parks or the little innovation districts the other cities create. They’re great upgrades. But let’s be grounded

Old 04-05-2018, 03:38 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,948,139 times
Here's story about Amazon's recent visit to the Triangle, even though I'm against anything that threatens the qualities that distinguish the area from most of the others around the country.

I don't think Amazon will choose nor is right for the Triangle.

However the acknowledgement bodes well for the state as a whole.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...e-for-hq2.html

TriangleH2Visit by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

Last edited by architect77; 04-05-2018 at 04:44 PM..

Old 04-05-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Here's story about Amazon's recent visit to the Triangle, even though I'm against anything that threatens the qualities that distinguish the area from most of the others around the country.

I don't think Amazon will choose nor is right for the Triangle.

However the acknowledgement bodes well for the state as a whole.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...e-for-hq2.html
Copy and paste. There’s a paywall...

As for Charlotte in 2025: Here's What Charlotte Will Look Like in 2025

Raleigh the next 23 years: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biz...nt-in.amp.html

Those stats alone (Raleigh growing by 72% for example, Charlotte becoming a metro of 3 million) are just fuel to a fire of development. I’ve posted a list of the transformative projects going on in CLT before so I won’t post it again.

And 2 pics of development along stonewall. 2 low rise apartment complexes, 2 Highrise apartments, 3 hotels (including a JW Marriot), an urban mall, 2 large office towers and all those towers have lots of retai (Whole foods open soon, stores like Apple, etc will be the tenant). All those projects are side by side stretching stonewall
Attached Thumbnails
North Carolina development thread.-4fc06706-1976-4f4b-8c2d-f1e709a6048e.jpeg   North Carolina development thread.-a1dc5524-3d6e-4d6a-8ad9-f48defb5b734.jpeg  

Old 04-05-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
We all know Fayetteville, for better or worse. But Greenville? NC? I didn’t even know it was a place until a year or so ago. I’m more familiar with western NC. Hickory, Hendersonville, etc.

Yeah. No. Greenville will not transform any more than all the other Greenville’s in the world (maybe less than Greensville SC) nor will it transform more than Raleigh by any stretch of the imagination.

Feel free to post about the developments or transformative things taking place of Greenville, North Carolina. I’d be interested to know. I’m operatong under the assumption it’s just a town not along the I85 corridor until proven otherwise.

Do you realize how much bigger Raleigh will be in 15 years? Probably more than an entire Greenville. It’s going to be transformative
Sandra Bullock lived in Greenville, NC and went to ECU.

Kelly Ripa's in-laws the Consquelos lived in Greenville for several years, now they're in Florida.

Wilmington, NC is the home of some well-known people of past and present, Linda Lavin used to live in Wilmington I believe. She starred in 70's sitcom Alice and now is on CBS's 9JKL which won't last if you ask me.

John Travolta, Tom Cruise and many other celebrities own property or are regulars on NC's outer banks, which Virginia's tidewater region regards as the nicest of the area's beaches.

The new bridge to Cape Hatteras is turning out to be the most elegant structure that the state has ever built, NCDOT has always been strained to meet the needs of the state's more evenly-dispersed population, thus nothing beyond the most basic, pragmatic infrastructure solutions have ever been considered.

I honestly think the elegance of the bridge is completely by accident.

The Crystal Coast is the beach that much of Central and Eastern NC call their own, including me, that area includes Jacksonville, NC home of Camp Lejeune Marine Base.

Morehead City, Atlantic Beach, Pine Knoll Shores, Emerald Isle and NC's quaintest, town on the water Beaufort, NC (pronounced Bo-fort unlike SC's bew-fort) are all part of the Crystal Coast.

That area has much more beach and ocean frontage than Wilmington area, and very little tackiness associated with boardwalks and public beaches, as most the 30+ miles of oceanfront is technically private (or used to be) resulting in pristine conditions and for much of the year is sparsely populated.

Last edited by architect77; 04-05-2018 at 04:50 PM..

Old 04-05-2018, 04:37 PM

4,616 posts, read 6,451,452 times
Raleigh leads the mid-Atlantic states in terms of population growth in the next 25 years, according to projections issued Tuesday by American City Business Journals, the parent company of Triangle Business Journal.

The Raleigh metro is expected to have almost 2.2 million residents by 2040, up 72 percent from its current (2015) 1.27 million base. That would place the metro as the 35th largest metropolitan area in the country in 25 years. Raleigh currently is the 44th largest metro in the U.S. In raw population terms, the Charlotte metro is expected to grow more by 2040 (by 1.9 million residents) but the percentage growth is only 49 percent — because of its current 2.42 million population base.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...ercent-in.html

Old 04-05-2018, 04:46 PM

I have added a jpeg of Amazon's Triangle Visit:

TriangleH2Visit by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

Old 04-05-2018, 04:57 PM

3,087 posts, read 4,868,838 times
I make a comment about Raleigh's downtown and everyone comes back with growth stats. Overall growth doesnt automatically equal downtown growth, and honestly, Raleigh is a perfect example of that.

Does anyone have downtown population growth stats for Raleigh? (Of course we were projecting, but the last few years might help see a trend).

Uptown Greenville's stats report a 400% increase in downtown population between 2016-2018. As I stated earlier, thats pretty transformative. And I fully understand it is at a smaller scale.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Raleigh leads the mid-Atlantic states in terms of population growth in the next 25 years, according to projections issued Tuesday by American City Business Journals, the parent company of Triangle Business Journal.

The Raleigh metro is expected to have almost 2.2 million residents by 2040, up 72 percent from its current (2015) 1.27 million base. That would place the metro as the 35th largest metropolitan area in the country in 25 years. Raleigh currently is the 44th largest metro in the U.S. In raw population terms, the Charlotte metro is expected to grow more by 2040 (by 1.9 million residents) but the percentage growth is only 49 percent — because of its current 2.42 million population base.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...ercent-in.html
Remember to add Durham +Chapel to all Raleigh stats, which by every definition on the planet is the same metro as Raleigh.

If you don't agree with that, please draw an outline around the counties included in Charlotte's numbers, and superimpose that same area on top of the Triangle for a true apples to apples comparison.

Why should the Triangle be the only metro in the state to get chopped up after 100+ years designated as a single metro area with unified planning, transit, radio, television, or community organization?

Old 04-05-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I make a comment about Raleigh's downtown and everyone comes back with growth stats. Overall growth doesnt automatically equal downtown growth, and honestly, Raleigh is a perfect example of that.

Does anyone have downtown population growth stats for Raleigh? (Of course we were projecting, but the last few years might help see a trend).

Uptown Greenville's stats report a 400% increase in downtown population between 2016-2018. As I stated earlier, thats pretty transformative. And I fully understand it is at a smaller scale.

Here’s a great summary 4Q17 of Raleigh downtown

http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/_fi...arter-2017.pdf

Old 04-05-2018, 08:23 PM

3,087 posts, read 4,868,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Here’s a great summary 4Q17 of Raleigh downtown

http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/_fi...arter-2017.pdf
From the Raleigh report...

Since 2015, 1,804 units have been delivered
and more than 900 units are planned for the near future.

In Greenville, there has been over 600 units delivered since 2015, there are 300 more units coming on board this fall. Another 700 units are either under construction or planned to start this year.

So Raleigh since 2015 going forward has 2700 units. Greenville has 1600 units. Considering the different sizes of the downtowns prior to 2015, its easy to see that percentage wise Greenville is higher. Right now, Raleigh's downtown population is 5 times the size of Greenville's. Greenville will shrink that to about 4 times by 2020.

As well, the Raleigh report indicates about $599 million in projects under construction...Greenville reports about $500 million...

http://www.witn.com/content/news/Cit...414435563.html

Its crazy to think downtown construction and number of units, population growth could be similar with the drastic difference in starting points. But its true, its happening and percentage wise, it substantiates my claim that downtown Greenville is going through a bigger transformation than downtown Raleigh.

Last edited by HP91; 04-05-2018 at 08:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina