Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 09:43 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,518,537 times

Advertisements

https://dtraleigh.com/2018/04/taking...acility-plans/

A sneak peak a new Union Station bus facility plans.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:50 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I was just reading that. Excited to see what 2020 brings with the new bus facility. I can definitely see something close to the rendering. That whole area is going through amazing transformation.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:04 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,398,598 times
I know it’s just a massing and it doesn’t represent it at all. But I hope they focus more on creating an “iconic” (bus stations aren’t really iconic or luxurious things I suppose) and a very modern one. Any mixed use would be a plus (though the bus station in CLT seems to be a repellent of development near by probably due to the demographics who ride the bus. So curious to see how the Raleigh one would play out.)

I like mass transit, so either way I’ll be pleased. Busses here, besides the express routes, are literally because you have no way to get to your job at Popeyes, etc that no one wants to take. But something modern as possible would be great. Digital boards with real time bus locations, etc. Hopefully that would help a diverse demographic of transit users

Old 04-11-2018, 01:26 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,353,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
(though the bus station in CLT seems to be a repellent of development near by probably due to the demographics who ride the bus. So curious to see how the Raleigh one would play out.)
The Transit Center in Charlotte is certainly an "area of concern" by many businesses uptown. However, it hasn't been a repellent of development. EpiCentre, Spectrum Center, and Ritz Carlton are located within a block of the transit center. Streetcar service stops in front of the place and light rail service stops beside it. Also, there are businesses inside of the transit center (Subway, Burger King, Bojangles, a convenience store, Cricket wireless, and a Chinese Restaurant) that are all doing well. The place is full of security 24/7, so crime isn't much of a concern.

Charlotte's transit center is by no means a good model to follow. Raleigh can (and should) do much better. Ironically, Charlotte's transit center is eerily similar to the one in downtown Winston-Salem. Let's hope this isn't a design trend that Raleigh is following.

So called "undesirables" aside; it could easily be argued that Charlotte's transit center block is the most active block uptown. The most popular hotels and entertainment options uptown are neighbors to the Transit Center.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 04-11-2018 at 01:36 PM..

Old 04-11-2018, 02:09 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,441,554 times
Charlotte's transit center connect to the Lynx Blue line and the street car, So all 3 modes of transportation are served there.

I do not know what is going to happen after the Gateway Center is built. With the Lynx Blue Line next to the CTC, I would think they would keep it open.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:36 PM

459 posts, read 373,877 times
The future Union Station Bus Station will service the Bus Rapid Transit System that will be built soon. Not sure if GoRaleigh will move in as well. If not, I wonder if they could be an underground walkway like you see in NYC.

The current newish Raleigh Bus Station is in a very active area surround by acclaimed restaurants Brewery Bhavana, Bida Manda, Beasley's, and several other quality restaurants, night clubs, bars, speakeasies, hairstylists, martial art center, gift shops, luxury apartment tower plus the bus station has an almost 24 hour police presence. Completely safe area.

I've never felt unsafe--the only people that feel unsafe is people that feel intimidated by people of lesser means. The worst experience I've encountered is people asking for change and they're not aggressive.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
The future Union Station Bus Station will service the Bus Rapid Transit System that will be built soon. Not sure if GoRaleigh will move in as well. If not, I wonder if they could be an underground walkway like you see in NYC.

The current newish Raleigh Bus Station is in a very active area surround by acclaimed restaurants Brewery Bhavana, Bida Manda, Beasley's, and several other quality restaurants, night clubs, bars, speakeasies, hairstylists, martial art center, gift shops, luxury apartment tower plus the bus station has an almost 24 hour police presence. Completely safe area.

I've never felt unsafe--the only people that feel unsafe is people that feel intimidated by people of lesser means. The worst experience I've encountered is people asking for change and they're not aggressive.
Funny thing is, on the forum that this article was linked, some members are already complaining that they don’t want another bus station in the warehouse district because it will supposedly end up being a stain on that booming district because of the less fortunate that tend to use the buses more. Thinking like that drives me nuts. The Moore Square Station is perfectly fine after it’s renovation and very safe! Like you said, it’s connected to some of the busier blocks in DTR. But as far as I understand it the new station would split the bus system (but also include the rapid bus transit) so that each station would serve opposite ends of the city to make it more efficient. I guess we’ll see but I certainly expect this new station to be of similar quality to the Union Station but with another Dillon-esk mixed use project attached.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Funny thing is, on the forum that this article was linked, some members are already complaining that they don’t want another bus station in the warehouse district because it will supposedly end up being a stain on that booming district because of the less fortunate that tend to use the buses more. Thinking like that drives me nuts. The Moore Square Station is perfectly fine after it’s renovation and very safe! Like you said, it’s connected to some of the busier blocks in DTR. But as far as I understand it the new station would split the bus system (but also include the rapid bus transit) so that each station would serve opposite ends of the city to make it more efficient. I guess we’ll see but I certainly expect this new station to be of similar quality to the Union Station but with another Dillon-esk mixed use project attached.

They're not wrong. By that, I mean, there are just some battles/perceptions that are so difficult to overcome. I'm not one of those people BUT I am pragmatic and realize it could be a stain if not implemented correctly and will just be hindrance to developments near it (and to address epicenter bordering our bus station (CTC). Epicenter is literally a much higher elevation and its back wall is to CTC. There are entrances on other sides of the arena. White People (I'm white) avoid the CTC like the plague. I used CTC daily until light rail opened to UNCC). I never had an issue at anytime of the day)

BofA's new lighting on its crown can change a lot more colors
https://cdnassets.hw.net/dims4/GG/e6...018-amtrak.jpg

Old 04-11-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
They're not wrong. By that, I mean, there are just some battles/perceptions that are so difficult to overcome. I'm not one of those people BUT I am pragmatic and realize it could be a stain if not implemented correctly and will just be hindrance to developments near it (and to address epicenter bordering our bus station (CTC). Epicenter is literally a much higher elevation and its back wall is to CTC. There are entrances on other sides of the arena. White People (I'm white) avoid the CTC like the plague. I used CTC daily until light rail opened to UNCC). I never had an issue at anytime of the day)

BofA's new lighting on its crown can change a lot more colors
https://cdnassets.hw.net/dims4/GG/e6...018-amtrak.jpg
Well its unfortunate. And it tends to grind my gears even more because it seems like you don’t see such disparity in larger cities where the bus is a much more “useful” means of transportation day in and day out. It seems like in smaller cities that have bus systems that are helpful but not replacing cars for most people, there’s always the idea that only the poor undesirables need the bus. In larger cities all walks of life ride the bus. Yet just like you experienced, RARELY is there ever a problem.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Well its unfortunate. And it tends to grind my gears even more because it seems like you don’t see such disparity in larger cities where the bus is a much more “useful” means of transportation day in and day out. It seems like in smaller cities that have bus systems that are helpful but not replacing cars for most people, there’s always the idea that only the poor undesirables need the bus. In larger cities all walks of life ride the bus. Yet just like you experienced, RARELY is there ever a problem.
The bus is just so slow. It is over 1 hour, for example from uptown to fringe of UNCC on the bus. It takes 25 minutes from uptown to on campus on light rail. It takes 30 minutes by car. (I only rode the bus because I knew LRT was opening and did not wanna pay 400$ to park a month or so on campus). Bus routes are just sooo slow no one takes them if you don't have to in smaller auto-oriented cities (IE most even major cities in the US).

Light Rail is very diverse and is so busy at all hours. Every 7 minutes during rush hour its standing room only and its very crowded standing room only for hours. Even at 1AM on Fridays and Saturdays it is standing room only heading into and out of uptown & NoDa. I think the last train these days are around 3AM so I'm always wondering how many people are getting stranded lol.

To replace cars, transportation options need to be competitive to cars. That's why mass transit, rail, BRT sorta, streetcar done correctly. It needs to be a pleasant experience. People here of all ages from rednecks, old people, college kids, all races and economic backgrounds, flock to the light rail (for work, for going out, to connect to their other bus routes). Maybe for bus station, it needs to just have a modern station with ammenities. Bus stations need to be fixed and easy, sidewalks, crosswalks. I can't tell you how many times there are bus stops are littled stomped out areas of grass along the road and people scrambling for dear life to get across busy roads (no cross walks, etc.). pathetic.

My opinion - really don't feel like CLT challenging this - light rail would be insanely successful in the Triangle. AND insanely successful in Charlotte with additional lines. Light rail. Not commuter rail (although nice.) Commuter is infrequent, sometimes no weekend service and ends at like 8PM or 7PM. Not cool. Not sure it'll impact development or the culture of less cars.

This is what CLT mass transit will look like within a couple decades. Disregard the colors. It's an old map. But the lines overall is what it will look like. The Gold & Silver Line is going to be light rail and probably a single line.
Silver Line: Matthews - Uptown - Airport.
Red Line: Uptown - Northlake - Lake Norman.
Blue Line: South Charlotte - SouthEnd - Uptown - NoDa - UNCC
Gold Line: Plaza Midwood - Uptown - Gateway - WestEnd

Off topic, but here is the poster child of midsized rail transit networks who nearly built it all at once :0 Denver

Last edited by Charlotte485; 04-11-2018 at 06:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina