Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 06:40 PM

175 posts, read 549,753 times

Advertisements

Well, I must confess that some of the comments struck me as xenophobic. "I'm so cool because I'm a "real" new yorker that I can laugh at all of the stupid tourists from Iowa who don't even understand the subway." What I love about NYC is the diversity of people living together and accepting each other. Tourests are an important part of what makes NYC great, and we should make them feel as welcome as we can. Actually, I'm kind of a resident tourist myself, so I feel the way cyc1e does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 06:44 PM

967 posts, read 2,994,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicalguy View Post
Well, I must confess that some of the comments struck me as xenophobic. "I'm so cool because I'm a "real" new yorker that I can laugh at all of the stupid tourists from Iowa who don't even understand the subway." What I love about NYC is the diversity of people living together and accepting each other. Tourests are an important part of what makes NYC great, and we should make them feel as welcome as we can. Actually, I'm kind of a resident tourist myself, so I feel the way cyc1e does.
I no longer live in NYC, but I was amazed that tourists tried to catch or touch pigeons. "Oooo, they're soooo close, they must be tame...."

Old 08-18-2008, 07:24 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicalguy View Post
Many NYers consult the subway map when they are going somewhere besides their usual place of commute. Most tourests are scared of the subway and take cabs, and don't venture out of Manhattan (except to and from the airports). And since when do NYers not wear backpacks or look up when they walk? The stereotypes just don't hold true. There is nothing wrong with being a tourest. I'll bet most of the posters are originally from somewhere else. People born and raised in NYC are less likely to think that they are the coolest people in the world. Those who think that they are so cool are wrong. True coolness requires a little bit of humility.
I found people in the thread were giving quite accurate descriptions of tourists and how they're different from New Yorkers. Yet I didn't really get that people thought they're ultra "cool" and that they view tourists so negatively. Different, and of course we'll find our own style better (what city resident doesn't love their own ways the best), but that doesn't mean we hate the tourist. On the contrary, I think its great to see different people visiting and I am more than willing to help any tourist and be friendly and welcoming. But describing the differences and how you can spot a tourist is just fun, not necessarily malicious.

So here's a positive description, of not the American tourist but of the European tourist that we're seeing a lot of lately. Some of these girls from the Scandanavian countries who seem to be around a lot lately are just beautiful and their style is so nice, as are young Europeans from elsewhere. They're's a youth hostel right near me which gets some interesting guests. I like to check out the styles and get ideas! Sometimes I'm just drooling over the clothing, the style and their seemingly effortlessly thin bodies haha.

But yeah, hate to say it but the American tourist can sometimes be really unstylish. LOL .

Old 08-19-2008, 11:22 AM

41 posts, read 127,745 times
K 22 / BMWGUYDC & all

I have a confession.

I posted earlier to the wrong thread - thought I was in thread 'Rude Tourists! - Not New Yorkers!' and thought the original poster was the guy that was pissed off at tourists.

(Hmmmm, if I can't fit in on a discussion board when no one can see me, maybe I DO look like a tourist...)

Sorry!

Old 08-19-2008, 11:52 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc1e View Post
K 22 / BMWGUYDC & all

I have a confession.

I posted earlier to the wrong thread - thought I was in thread 'Rude Tourists! - Not New Yorkers!' and thought the original poster was the guy that was pissed off at tourists.

(Hmmmm, if I can't fit in on a discussion board when no one can see me, maybe I DO look like a tourist...)

Sorry!
LOL...not a problem at all! New Yorkers like to debate and talk, so no worries! And, we seem to have threads of similar themes on this board, so I'd not worry about confusion. I do hope you'll come back to NY both in the real world and online, though, as it's great to hear opinions from outside the city as well.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:54 AM

4 posts, read 10,747 times
Hi everyone,

I've read all your posts, and I can roughly conclude that tourists are just seen as a weird species that would rather fit in zoos (I don't speak of "ZOO YORK", of course). I was a tourist myself, from Paris, France, last month; and you're moslty right, we all had backbacks (for photo gear, mostly), shorts and Tshirts from remote places, because we travel a lot, -not in herds, just the 3 of us, I mean Family, with 1 kid (Polynesia, Carribean Islands, "red neck states" (according to YOUR standarts....), such as your remote South West States, such as Colorado, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, we have got our kicks on Route 66, (CF BOBBY TROUP famous song) and decided this Year to get along with the Big Apple, which we "visited" 14 years ago.
But how else can a tourist get dressed under such a temperature and humidity rate? I mean in the middle of August!
And Yes, we have kind of a map, a virtual one, called a TOMTOM GPS which amazingly led us right to the door for allour destinations (but on a urbanistic basis, most of your cities have been built on a quadrangular basis, East-West and SOuth NOrth system.
And it's not too hard to go from one point to another, one just counts street blocks!!!!

Everyone forgot about photographic equipment. Nowadays, everyone is a would be photographer, numeric-age helped to feel more confident with cameras. My Doughter, 11 years old, brought back about 700 snapshots, most of all of a good quality, balance.

But after all, what's the difference between a Manhattanite and a tourist? the First one has a camera stuck to his eye, and the second one .......a cellular on his ear!!! (believe me)

Well I really enjoy reading those posts, and I hope you did just the same reading me , in spite of possible mistakes (bbeing a frenchman, English is not my mother tongue!!!!)

ciao

stephane (vanzac)
and if any NewYorker fells like making a break, why not fly to Tahitir simply visit my blog!!!
TAHITI BLUES (leave me a note if you enjoyed (or not)visiting my site: and you can do so with short pants, NYPD-T shirts, Backpacks and outdoor gear!!!!but you will not need any pullover, its almost as hot there as it is in NYC in August!!!!
and check my next blog under construction: NewYorkCityBlues

(I still have much post-production on my 6500 photos taken in NYC and NorthBeach FL this summer!!)

Old 08-20-2008, 11:28 AM

210 posts, read 971,880 times
People, get a grip of yourselves! native new yorkers, who think they are better dressed and more sophisticated. Yeah, it is true that many new yorkers dress nicer, then people who live in smaller places. Women wear nice dresses and stuff, and dont wear baggy shorts. But if you are not on Madison ave on in Midpacking district at night, most of the croud is dressed like crap, especially in the winter. and especially people from the boroughs, like Bronx and Queens, where they have their own style...
I live in manhattan for the last 8 years, originally from Russia. When i go back home, i feel underdressed, because everyone in Russia is dressed nice, irons their clothes, etc. My mom was in shock when she got to New York from a small town in Sibera, she could not believe how people dressed, and not in a good way. Lets be realistic, most new yorkers dont put much effort into their otufit, yeah, they wear better things, because they have more choices, but they just throw stuff on, unless they are going out-they dont care what they are wearing. look at people on the weekend.
Yeah, turists wear shorts and t-shirts, becuase they come from suburbia, and thats how they dress there. But local new yorkers can be even worse. at least tourists are clean!

Old 08-20-2008, 11:34 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times
Yes, but despite what you say about New Yorkers being dirty and dressing poorly, you can still spot a tourist a mile away. Take that as a good or a bad, but its still a fact.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:44 AM

31 posts, read 159,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Yes, but despite what you say about New Yorkers being dirty and dressing poorly, you can still spot a tourist a mile away. Take that as a good or a bad, but its still a fact.
I agree, I think it's the demeanor that makes one see someone is local or not.

I don't think this thread is meant to poke fun of the tourists. NYC wouldn't be NYC without the tourists and their contribution. I may make some snarky comments here about some of their fashion choice but when they ask me for direction I'm more than happy to help them. I make the same snarky comment about people in L.A too and that's supposedly my hometown. IN GENERAL people in NY do have to somewhat make an effort to look presentable or together since in a lot of areas and industries here require you to "look the part". It's a city of 8+plus millions people (and not including the ones that don't have papers), of course you get to see the most polish and put-together crowd and the errecticly dressed and the most sloppish in any given day.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:39 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
I don't overly dress and take a lot of time to prep myself because I don't care about impressing anyone. I lived in NYC as a little kid, then was on Long Island, and now back in NYC. Most people on LI are like those in Manhattan in terms of style. Some of us just aren't into fashion and style and all that. I have no one to impress because i'm engaged lol. I still try to look decent though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City