Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 11:31 PM
REM REM started this thread

368 posts, read 996,130 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about going to new york sometime this year and i want to get a real "new york experience". Sure i want to go to some tourist areas like central park and the empire state building but really i want to be around real new yorkers. So what time of year is the tourist influx low? If it is year around are their any areas where they don't always walk around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 05:29 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,715,359 times
n' yorkers are different. if you want to see long time ethnic n'yorkers, you may want to visit Astoria, Queens, for example. If you want to see more established N'Yorkers, the upper east side or Murray Hill will do. A less charitable person who I know(a staunch democrat) says that "if you want to see and hear bigots, go to Morris Park". you will see less tourists in more off the beaten path neighborhoods that don't involve Times Square, macy's the Empire State bldg, Central pk, the Village. Lower manhattan around Wall street always triggered a "N'yorker" image for me

Old 02-09-2008, 07:35 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,155,114 times
read this thread
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...tinations.html

Old 02-09-2008, 02:32 PM

128 posts, read 235,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
i want to get a real "new york experience". Sure i want to go to some tourist areas like central park and the empire state
LOL !!!
Thats the last 2 places you will find real New Yorkers, like said you need to go to Queens
Visit places like The King of Corona, Maspeth, Middle Villiage, Astoria, or the Subway 5:15 PM.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:05 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,155,114 times
I think if you get out of Manhattan at all you will see "real new yorkers" unless you are going to major tourist sites in another borough. The issue that i think you should think about is how to enjoy the outer boroughs by planning some outings to places where you have a destination or at least a walking tour in mind, and then people-watching along the way. For instance, in Queens you might visit the Louis Armstrong museum in Corona. Yes, it's a museum but it's off the beaten path and fairly smack in the middle of where "real" new yorkers live. Try Queens, New York - Guide to the Borough of Queens, NY for additional info about Queens and some ideas of what to do.

In Brooklyn you could go to the Brooklyn Museum and Prospect Park, and then catch some of the beautiful brownstones in Park Slope.

You could also figure out where the subways begin to run above ground in the outer boroughs, for example, the JMZ line - and take a ride on the subway late morning (no crowds) and enjoy the views out the window.

When we lived for a few years in a large city overseas, my mother used to love to take the subway to the end of the line just to see what was at the other end. I don't really suggest you do that here unless you know what's at the other end, because some neighborhoods when you get far out can be a little sketchy. Not saying that to scare you, but do a little research.

the 7 train runs above ground from almost the moment it hits Queens, and you could take it to the end (Flushing) and enjoy a really authentic Chinese meal. Search chowhound.com the outer boroughs board for where to go to eat.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:43 PM

922 posts, read 3,863,523 times
It's hard to know what you mean by "real New Yorkers". This is the most diverse city in the world. Real New Yorkers are rich, middle-class and poor, and come in all shapes, colors, and sizes from country in the world.

It sounds like during your visit, you'd like to get out and see some neighborhoods where people live (which is a great way experience the city). Again, there is so much diversity. There are many different types of neighborhoods and ethnic enclaves.

Did you have some more specific ideas about what you would like to experience?

To answer your question about the time of year when the tourist influx is low: It would probably be right around now -- in the dead of winter. The weather this time of year is often cold, windy, rainy and occasionally snowy. Since lots of outdoor walking is always part of a quality NYC experience, the weather can put a damper on your good time.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:13 AM

757 posts, read 3,365,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
Sure i want to go to some tourist areas like central park and the empire state building . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoastBeefJackson View Post
LOL !!! Thats the last 2 places you will find real New Yorkers, like said you need to go to Queens
Visit places like The King of Corona, Maspeth, Middle Villiage, Astoria, or the Subway 5:15 PM.
RBJ, the OP did call Central Park and the ESB "tourist areas." But if you think New Yorkers don't use Central Park, you are badly, badly mistaken. I have walked through Central Park as a route to my job; I have taken leisurely walks to enjoy the weather, I have attended concerts and plays there, and when I shared my home with a dog, for 14 1/2 years, we enjoyed her Central Park canine playgroup almost every evening. And I always see real New Yorkers, with maybe a few tourists thrown in, depending on day of the week and time of day.

As much as I love living in New York, I don't know if I could stand it if I couldn't enjoy Central Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City