Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 05:50 AM

468 posts, read 2,359,179 times

Advertisements

Great thread. I agree on the dead giveaways: men wearing shorts, t-shirts advertising other tourist destinations they've been ("Hilton Head, South Carolina"), carrying around a subway map, and wearing hiking gear in the city.

Another observation of mine is that Yankees fans are also really easy to spot for a lot of the same kinds of attributes. People who live way out in the far suburbs who never come into the city but are there for a Yankees game often look similarly out-of-place but easily identifiable due to their characteristic look. They usually look like tourists, except they're wearing Yankees gear or at least Yankees colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 11:21 AM

217 posts, read 921,891 times
Traveling in groups. All members of group speak with noticeable non-New York City accent (Boston, Philly, Baltimore, "southern", "mid-west", North Country New York, Western New York, "California").
All members of group wearing backpacks.
All members of group wearing baseball cap - frontwards.
No one wearing sunglasses.
No one in business attire, casual or business.
Group milling outside of any eating establishment (including McD's) deciding whether or not it's "safe" to eat there.
Group is in line to see Stomp, Blue Man Group, or Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty.
They're staying at a hotel and not with a friend who lives in the city.

The look on the group leader's face (usually husband or husband/wife team) says, "I hope I can remember where I parked the car" and/or "I'm not keeping track of how much this is costing me."

Old 08-16-2008, 05:44 PM

175 posts, read 550,021 times
Many NYers consult the subway map when they are going somewhere besides their usual place of commute. Most tourests are scared of the subway and take cabs, and don't venture out of Manhattan (except to and from the airports). And since when do NYers not wear backpacks or look up when they walk? The stereotypes just don't hold true. There is nothing wrong with being a tourest. I'll bet most of the posters are originally from somewhere else. People born and raised in NYC are less likely to think that they are the coolest people in the world. Those who think that they are so cool are wrong. True coolness requires a little bit of humility.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:11 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,949,028 times
I think native born NYers consult the subway map on the train if they're going somewhere new and don't know that particular subway line. I do it occasionally if I don't know the line or area very well.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:28 PM

922 posts, read 3,862,383 times
Quote:
Many NYers consult the subway map when they are going somewhere besides their usual place of commute. Most tourests are scared of the subway and take cabs, and don't venture out of Manhattan (except to and from the airports). And since when do NYers not wear backpacks or look up when they walk? The stereotypes just don't hold true. There is nothing wrong with being a tourest. I'll bet most of the posters are originally from somewhere else. People born and raised in NYC are less likely to think that they are the coolest people in the world. Those who think that they are so cool are wrong. True coolness requires a little bit of humility.
Oh, lighten up. We're just engaging in a little but of "virtual people watching".

Of course there is nothing wrong with tourists. Speaking for myself, I like to see tourists walking around, and I go out of my way to help them. Both in person and in this forum. And I definitely don't think I'm any "cooler" than anyone else.

Just as a funny side note to support your assertion. My boss, a born-and-bred NY'er, looks up a lot and points at a lot of buildings (he has an interest in architectural details). Oh, and he wears a backpack and he's also Asian-American. When I'm out with him, I always think - "wow, he looks like a tourist"

Old 08-17-2008, 04:27 PM

175 posts, read 550,021 times
It sounds like your boss is cool. :-)

Old 08-17-2008, 06:55 PM

5 posts, read 17,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
Dude that is a crock of ****. I have NEVER looked in amazement at ANYONE here or the fact that they live here. Are some people interesting? Of course...but any new place that people go, the people are different and interesting and they are going to observe them. I'm not sure what kind of tour bus you were on where they would actually cheer for you....for what? And your comment about visiting the top of the rock..and everyone having different accents ....WELL...from what I have noticed about NYC is that half of the people don't even speak english or speak it that well...soooo...this is new to you how????
Ahem, I came across this forum

[url]http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f89/[/url]

And NYC is the most popular and people "OMG OMG! New York and NYers are so fabulous! I want to live in New York" and think of it as one huge Sex and the City set. It's amusing, really.

I just moved to New York a few weeks ago, and when I mentioned I was moving to NYC and people back home thought of New York in the same way.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:33 AM

838 posts, read 1,212,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNY10022 View Post
Ahem, I came across this forum

Streetstyle - the Fashion Spot

And NYC is the most popular and people "OMG OMG! New York and NYers are so fabulous! I want to live in New York" and think of it as one huge Sex and the City set. It's amusing, really.

I just moved to New York a few weeks ago, and when I mentioned I was moving to NYC and people back home thought of New York in the same way.

I'm not sure what that thread proved, as there were many cities mentioned on there, and NYC wasn't even the main one. Anyhow...is there "fashion" in NYC? Sure... Have I ever been in awe of it? LOL. No.
I simply can't relate. I have NO idea where these people are coming from...but if they are that easily amused by what someone wears on their back...I really just can't even begin to relate. I'm from California. I've seen nice clothes..and good fashion. It didn't phase me there..and it doesn't even begin to phase me here. I suppose some people area easier to appease than other though...

Old 08-18-2008, 01:02 PM

41 posts, read 127,891 times
You may wish (or not) to hear from one of those easily spotted tourists. We just got back from a week in NYC and I'm sure you are speaking of us - Mom, Dad & 2 college age kids. I carried the obligatory water bottle in my shorts pocket, wore comfortable walking shoes, took pictures from the subway and looked up at buildings, most notably when breaking glass from a falling window hit the sidewalk behind us. (Actually all the natives were looking up then too...)

Nonetheless, breaking news! Tourists are from someplace else. We don’t actually know how your subway system works and we don’t want to pester the original poster and his likes with annoying questions so we actually buy a subway map and read it! Pretty amazing huh? We look up at buildings because... uh, they are different to us?

I'm not convinced on the 'awestruck' tourists regarding fashionable & sophisticated New Yorkers though. For every one you might see there's a native hobo or cross dresser with absolutely no fashion sense at all.

We live in a tourist town on the coast of Maine. Every summer weekend we get people turning around in our driveway lost on their way to the beach. Why get pissed? They don’t live there so how would they know how to get to the beach? Who cares and so what? Plus they’re paying taxes, consuming food & tourist crap just like I did in the Apple. I know they’ll soon be at the local lighthouse taking pictures. Yippee and I hope they like them!

Anyway, (despite feeling a bit defensive during this post,) we had a great week in your great city. People were outstanding. Running every morning in Central Park – truly one of the great city parks in the world. New York bagels. Bazillions of restaurants. MOMA…. OK I’ll stop – you’ve heard it all before.

...but thanks for a great week.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:11 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc1e View Post
Anyway, (despite feeling a bit defensive during this post,) we had a great week in your great city. People were outstanding. Running every morning in Central Park – truly one of the great city parks in the world. New York bagels. Bazillions of restaurants. MOMA…. OK I’ll stop – you’ve heard it all before.

...but thanks for a great week.
That's great that you enjoyed your trip to NYC. I hope it's a place you'd like to revisit. This thread was not intended as malicious as the OP stated, though sometimes it may come across that way with some of the posts. New Yorkers, real New Yorkers, love it when tourists come to visit and 90% of them are very happy to help navigate the subways, buses, and streets. And, I know plenty of natives who look up at buildings and some are photography nuts, so they are never out the door without a camera. I hope you're not feeling defensive at this point, since I don't think the intention of the thread was to bash anyone, just to share observations, so come back to NYC again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City