Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 01:07 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,579,232 times

Advertisements

.....opens up to cabbie at jfk telling him how nice it is to visit the big apple for first time and can cabbie show/explain the landmarks on way to hotel in manhattan. cabbie shows em bronx zoo, throgs neck bridge, staten island landfill, brooklyn museum "on way" to waldorf astoria.
.................................................. .................................................. .................

after reaching destination try to convince cabbie in faltering english that fare should be $45. tour guide cabbie suddenly has language issue, "No speaka much english. please to give cabbie $245. no tip since you nice guys."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 01:14 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,630,117 times
Tourists are the ones carrying subway maps.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:18 PM

473 posts, read 1,671,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
...-Taking pictures on the Subway...
natives do this A LOT especially at the weekends and at night. I see it all the time on the 2/5 in the X. Teens basically have photo shoots on the train

Old 08-14-2008, 01:19 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
You know those guys that hang out on the street and hand out flyers for whatever(lunch specials, drink specials, xxx etc)? Do only tourists take those? When I visited NY when I was young I remember taking several, probably thinking that's what everybody does.

I used to take them just to be kind (because I feel so sorry for those guys). But then I started feeling guilty about enviromental concerns (taking paper knowing I would just throw it away). So, now I look these guys and gals in the eye, smile and say "No, thank you". I cannot tell you how many times they smile back with gratitude for not just walking by and ignoring them like they don't even exist.
I usually take em, on account of I used to have a job where I had to hand out menus, and it sucked just standing there trying to get rid of my stack so I could go back inside.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:22 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,553,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Standing 4 or more across the sidewalk, holding hands and blocking people from getting by. Then get annoyed because they try to get through the group.
yeah, this seems to be a midtown phenomenon. i can't believe how much sidewalk space one can take up while walking -1 mph

Old 08-14-2008, 01:34 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,713,141 times
Default It was in 1993...

and I was walking on Broadway near 251 street in Riverdale, Bronx.

A carload of people pulls up to me at the Mobil station on the corner.

The driver, talking in an accent, tells me "we're from Columbia county, we're lost, we're looking for the Majestic Theater off Broadway"

I told them to get back on the H Hudson Pkwy and ride downtown until they hit 44th street and make a left OR to keep riding down Broadway until they get to W 44th street

I thought it to be the most hilarious encounter i have ever had and that those people were utterly, utterly lost and had no concept of Broadway in Manhattan or the Bronx

they were 10 miles short of their destination

to me this was the ultimate example in a tourist being lost

Old 08-14-2008, 02:47 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,381,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
natives do this A LOT especially at the weekends and at night. I see it all the time on the 2/5 in the X. Teens basically have photo shoots on the train
i was about to say that. A lot of people take pics in NYC not just tourist. I am from Bk and when ever I am home I try to get out and shoot (I do amateur photography)

Old 08-14-2008, 05:44 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,081,481 times
You can tell right off the bat by the styles of the clothing and hair. Also, loud talking on the train when everyone else is quiet. They have no concept that almost the whole car can hear every last word they're saying. But I'm glad they come and I'm always willing to help with directions or whatever.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:51 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,550,763 times
American tourists often look extremely healthy and innocent.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:01 PM

536 posts, read 2,350,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
You can tell right off the bat by the styles of the clothing and hair. Also, loud talking on the train when everyone else is quiet. They have no concept that almost the whole car can hear every last word they're saying. But I'm glad they come and I'm always willing to help with directions or whatever.
Teen Long Islanders on the train home from the city. Holy crap is that annoying. No one needs to know what Rita did that was so funny during lunchtime Monday morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City