Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 06:33 PM

78 posts, read 316,833 times

Advertisements

Those godawful fedora hats are a dead giveaway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 06:34 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,584,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecraw View Post
Those godawful fedora hats are a dead giveaway.
here we go again, ecraw..what you got against my hat?

Old 11-15-2008, 06:38 PM

my waitress friend says you can always tell an out of country tourist. they ask the manager where the bathroom is. the manager says the john is at the back. they go around all the tables asking for john.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:48 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,326,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
i've heard from my waitress friend that another way you can spot a tourist is that they leave little or zero tip and frequently ask for a puppy package.
So what do New Yorker's do with the left-overs, then? Waste it?

I wasn't able to do that when I was there. The hotel I stayed at had no refrigerator.

In some cities, though, I'll often give my left-overs to a homeless person.

I consider myself a pretty generous tipper, having been a waitress once. But if I'm not happy with the service . . . nope! Something else, too, though, is that tipping is not a common practice in some foreign countries. I believe it isn't done in France. (Is there someone who can confirm this?)

Old 11-15-2008, 06:53 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,992,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
So what do New Yorker's do with the left-overs, then? Waste it?

I wasn't able to do that when I was there. The hotel I stayed at had no refrigerator.

In some cities, though, I'll often give my left-overs to a homeless person.

I consider myself a pretty generous tipper, having been a waitress once. But if I'm not happy with the service . . . nope! Something else, too, though, is that tipping is not a common practice in some foreign countries. I believe it isn't done in France. (Is there someone who can confirm this?)
I take my leftovers all the time, and many other people I know do too. I think it was the reference to it being a 'puppy package' which was touristy.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I take my leftovers all the time, and many other people I know do too. I think it was the reference to it being a 'puppy package' which was touristy.
yep. plus the fact of little or no tip while cheerfully requesting a take out of leftovers thus giving the staff more work and more reason to fume.

not my take , my waitress friend's.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:15 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,566,455 times
i take leftovers too. i end end up drinking later on & get hungry anyway.

might as well eat that sh*t

Old 11-17-2008, 04:27 PM

8 posts, read 17,240 times
tipping isnt done in a lot of foreign countries. its usually included in the bill. when i went to australia two years ago, the guy who waited on us was amazed that we left him $20 on a $60 bill. i think its like 15% of the bill or something.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:38 PM

9 posts, read 23,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
wearing an I <3 NY shirt

not really...im from ny and i wear i love ny shirts...i have an i love bx one.
but i live in ct now ^_^
rawr.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:27 PM

133 posts, read 419,890 times
Pale skin, those cute Brits with those fannypacks, the MTA workers screaming and calling them tourists for asking too many questions, and people who stand way too long in front of the ticket machines in Port Authority, that's how I spot them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City