Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:52 PM

749 posts, read 2,456,734 times

Advertisements

Yeah people don't understand the concept of sidewalk etiquette when they come here. The sidewalk is just as busy if not busier than the road, especially during the rush hours. You always walk on the right side of the sidewalk and get out of the way if you have to stop for any reason. Just like the road you have to at least be at the speed limit or you will be passed and/or ran over. Once you leave Manhattan there aren't any rules but as soon as you get into the city you have to keep up with the pace, it's not that we're all too busy and need you to get out of the way, it's more like stopping at the top of an escalator and not expecting it to cause any problems!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 08:19 AM

8 posts, read 11,667 times
I hate it but it happens very often especially around time square which I absolutely hate going to. You can be walking all fine behind someone and the just stop dead in there tracks right in front of you . I hate it!!!! Or one better the cheap tourist who rides the free Staten Island ferry to see the statue of liberty all over the place taking pictures of nothing .. It drives me nuts its like MOVE I actually have somewhere to go.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:39 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,958,031 times
When I try to do some cheap shopping at Century 21, it's quite a hassle actually getting into the store. They all stop at the entrance and look around and look like they have nowhere to go. Just pull over to the side, look at the store map while you're out of the way of everyone, and go from there

Old 01-10-2009, 07:45 PM

655 posts, read 1,993,400 times
Also, sometimes when they ask you to take a picture of them, which happened when I was in Bryant Park.

Another one is if they ask you for directions and preface it by asking, "do you live here".

Old 01-10-2009, 08:23 PM

I saw some girl and her friends laughing while taking a picture of a homeless person in Soho. That pissed me off. Don't these people have any sense? It's like those tourists that throw peace signs while they're laughing in front of ground zero like they're at Disney Land. I'm so glad my parents taught me how to be respectful when I was growing up.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1979 View Post
Also, sometimes when they ask you to take a picture of them, which happened when I was in Bryant Park.

Another one is if they ask you for directions and preface it by asking, "do you live here".
That's funny. As an anecdote, every time I travel abroad people are always asking me for directions even when I'M the tourist! People always mistake me for a local, and it's funny because I'm Asian so you'd think I'd fit in with the stereotype of the typical tourist. I was in Budapest, Hungary and some tourists from London stopped me and asked me for directions, what the hell?! I was like the only minority I saw there, and they still thought I knew my way around.

I think it truly is the way you carry yourself. If you look like you're walking with purpose and don't seem impressed with anything, people will generally mistake you for a local. Also I have very non-threatening facial features (round and no bone structure), and demeanor so people aren't afraid to approach me, or so i've been told.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:36 PM

655 posts, read 1,993,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
That's funny. As an anecdote, every time I travel abroad people are always asking me for directions even when I'M the tourist! People always mistake me for a local, and it's funny because I'm Asian so you'd think I'd fit in with the stereotype of the typical tourist. I was in Budapest, Hungary and some tourists from London stopped me and asked me for directions, what the hell?! I was like the only minority I saw there, and they still thought I knew my way around.

I think it truly is the way you carry yourself. If you look like you're walking with purpose and don't seem impressed with anything, people will generally mistake you for a local. Also I have very non-threatening facial features (round and no bone structure), and demeanor so people aren't afraid to approach me, or so i've been told.
The second one also happened to me today. I was waiting for the express bus by 47th and sixth and someone asked me where Rockefeller Center was and I was like, "I think it's that way", pointing east.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:18 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,151,355 times
I couldn't face reading through the whole thread so forgive me if this is already listed... but
tonight I stood near a pole-hugger on the subway who was holding a map in one hand and was wrapped around the pole with most of the rest of her body so that others could not hold on.

I know there are New Yorkers who do this too, and it is just as annoying, but the pole-hugging behavior with the addition of the map-grasping made me feel sure she was a tourist.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:34 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,958,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
I saw some girl and her friends laughing while taking a picture of a homeless person in Soho. That pissed me off. Don't these people have any sense? It's like those tourists that throw peace signs while they're laughing in front of ground zero like they're at Disney Land. I'm so glad my parents taught me how to be respectful when I was growing up.

That's terrible. Maybe they should be homeless for a day and see what it's like, then they won't be laughing

Old 01-10-2009, 11:49 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,853,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
That's terrible. Maybe they should be homeless for a day and see what it's like, then they won't be laughing
With the economy the way it is maybe they will get their chance! They deserve it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City