Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 12:47 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,464,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
This have a huge flaw. I have friends and family that work in hospitals and they all tell me the same thing. Most people that come in with symptoms they are not even testing.
Have you asked recently? this was certainly the case 1-2 weeks+ Ago. Today there are lot more tests and easier to get. My co-workers are all getting tested pretty easily now with and without symptoms after calling the NY State hotline. That wasn't the case just a week ago.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:51 PM

8,369 posts, read 4,382,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Using the word "privilege" is somewhat of straw man

The poor always have worse health. They have less resources for healthcare, quality food and education and are more likely to not have the financial ability to shut in and thus forced to take the trains and buses to a supermarket or healthcare job

So right there we can see a connection to poverty without having to look at "the privileged"
or "middle class" or the rich and blame them.

It's just a fact that the poor are more afflicted with health problems and it is a fundamental cause

It's a separate issue as to what causes the poverty to what extent its caused by the person who is poor and to what extent the society has put them into unjust unequal circumstances

The poor always have worse health than who? Prime minister of the UK, who is in the ICU with the virus? An ER doctor at Lenox Hill Hosp, who is not poor, is being put by the society in far more unjust unequal circumstances with respect to this virus than a welfare recipient who sits at home and watches TV. I don't think there are any simple correlations between this virus and poverty.

Of course, nobody will ever do a study to compare how many better-off people can stay home because they can take care of themselves with savings from their own earnings, vs. how many poor people can stay home because they can stay home every day of their life, since they are supported by taxpayers.

Last edited by elnrgby; 04-08-2020 at 01:24 PM..

Old 04-08-2020, 12:52 PM

19,037 posts, read 13,951,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
In my case i didnt even know the post was deleted i was replying to.

So once i hit "qoute" it quoted the post. Somewhere during me typing the reply, the post i was replying to was deleted, and once i submitted the post i saw basically a bunch of posts were deleted. After refreshing the page the post i just submitted was deleted as well.....

In short this fourms does not prevent replying to a deleted post if the responder was already in the middle of replying.

"NOPE" to what? "NOPE" is not a valid response to informing someone why their post was deleted.
Someone wanted to know the COVID19 fatalities breakdown and i provided the stats based on what was on NY1.

Nothing was said but NOPE...NOPE doesn't say how the post violated the topic discussion.
This is not a race thread, period. It will go downhill fast and be CLOSED if any race talk is allowed. No discussion, period.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-08-2020, 12:53 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,716,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
New York City: 81,803 total coronavirus cases 4,927 NEW cases 6.41% day-over-day growth rate there are over 4,000 deaths.
and you're mad at NY about that right, you just love report that every day

Youre the same guy a couple of weeks ago who was saying that New York should ride it out rather than shut and and that you would go to a private house party on St Patrick's day if you were younger in defiance of the shut down of bars that was done

Old 04-08-2020, 12:53 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
You're still holding out Hope this thing gets worse huh. Good for you for hanging in there. Many of us like positive and realistic news.
How are those equivalent? Why would being cautious be the same thing as wanting things to get worse? I want things to get better soon, because this has disrupted my company pretty badly and I have no desire to contract this as it's supposed to be physically very painful if symptoms flare up. I also don't want people who I am close to die from it as I've had people close to me die in agony before and there is nothing about that I thought was good. This is very different from being cautious which is also goes into keeping a cool head in ascertaining the level of risk and acting appropriately.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:54 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,716,629 times
Feds eye loosening rules to allow some to return to work

https://apnews.com/fab319a90ead9aae057f7fab059c2ccb

WASHINGTON (AP) — In a first, small step toward reopening the country, the Trump administration could relax coronavirus guidelines as early as Wednesday to make it easier for Americans who have been exposed but have no symptoms to return to work, particularly those in essential jobs.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:56 PM

1,486 posts, read 988,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Have you asked recently? this was certainly the case 1-2 weeks+ Ago. Today there are lot more tests and easier to get. My co-workers are all getting tested pretty easily now with and without symptoms after calling the NY State hotline. That wasn't the case just a week ago.
My knowledge was from yesterday when they brought it up. I try not to bring up the topic with them too much since they are stressed out in that environment but if they bring it up then we talk about it.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:01 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,544,611 times
Quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — In a first, small step toward reopening the country, the Trump administration could relax coronavirus guidelines as early as Wednesday to make it easier for Americans who have been exposed but have no symptoms to return to work, particularly those in essential jobs.
This is insane. It's way too early. There is not nearly enough testing being done to make sure everyone is safe enough to return to work since it has been said OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN, that you can be asymptomatic and still spread the virus.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:06 PM

6,649 posts, read 2,964,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
This is insane. It's way too early. There is not nearly enough testing being done to make sure everyone is safe enough to return to work since it has been said OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN, that you can be asymptomatic and still spread the virus.
If individual States are foolish enough to re-open then that's on them. They don't 'have' to.

I guess if it's some 'Joe-Billy Bob' city with like 5 cases over the past month.,.maybe.

But NYC sure won't,..or shouldn't.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:06 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,464,356 times
Quote:

" The person described the proposal on the condition of anonymity because the draft had not been finalized."

I'll wait for the final decision on this before commenting. Right now it's just a rumor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City