Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 10:52 AM

14,066 posts, read 13,977,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This friend will be missed by a lot of people. He was the type that you’d have to search far and wide to find anyone to ever say a bad word about him. Truly a terrible loss.
Sorry to hear stay strong !

Old 03-28-2020, 10:53 AM

30,669 posts, read 18,295,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm starting to think the positive case numbers don't matter at all anymore, at least in hard hit areas. The only numbers that matter are number who need hospitalization, # who need ICU care, and # of dead.

The positive case count just sounds totally arbitrary, especially after tests like the one in Iceland finds that there is a huge rate of asymptomatic, and also there's a high rate of those who have some minor mild ailment and would never even think of seeking out a doctor's appointment for something so mild.

Add to that that each country's testing method is completely different, so it's like apples and oranges.

I do think if there were a way of testing everyone, once a week, that carriers could be quarantined even if showing no symptoms, and the rate of hospitalizations would therefore decrease, saving many people's lives. But that's unrealistic.
I agree.

Testing only helps to a certain extent. You can test everybody today and 90% come back negative. But 10% of that 90% could contract the virus the very next day and continue spread. That's why the key is practicing good hygiene, social distancing, and self isolation even if you have the slightest symptom.

I know someone who is in the City who has come down with a cold and a fever, and he is STILL going out for unnecessary errands To say that I'm beyond pissed at him is an understatement.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:55 AM

5,909 posts, read 6,125,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I have a few coworkers who feel the same way---they never really get sick but in January/February, they were very sick. And one of them---her husband was really sick as well and tested negative for the flu. So they are wondering if they already had it.

The problem is that it still can spread to others not in the group anyway and then they are taking away from so many resources when they do get sick.

I agree. I am stuck with my husband all day and night if I am not at work. We're in a very tiny space and we have no outdoor space to even escape to---if we both walk together outside, what difference does it make? It's probably better to get some fresh air, especially for him because of his asthma.

Yesterday we went for a lovely walk (with about a million other people) and saw that most people were very separated. You had singles, couples or families but everyone stayed away from each other. If people saw it was too crowded on the path, they went a little to the left or the right or left the path all together.

Except for runners and bicyclists---they are still the worst.
I think you want to reduce the number of social groups you interact with. That includes concerts, transit and church, but also friends, coworkers and family. I would avoid close contact outside with anyone who isn't part of your household.

Even for people within your household I would try to minimize contact. I suspect about 5-10% of New Yorkers may have it but don't know it because they haven't developed symptoms yet or are one of the lucky few who never will. That means there's a decent chance someone in your household has it (including you yourself). I think studies have shown that if someone in your household gets it, it's not inevitable that the entire household will get it. Anyone who gets it now is unlikely to get proper hospital care if they develop severe symptoms so you want to avoid that. Open windows regularly since the virus spreads quite well in poorly ventilated indoor air, minimize personal contact and touching common objects as much as you're willing.

I think going for a walk with your household is fine, but avoid touching stuff like railings or pedestrian crossing push buttons or playground equipment or benches with your bare hands. If you live in an apartment building odds are high someone there has covid-19 so if you have to touch doors or elevator buttons use gloves, just regular winter gloves should provide decent protection. Remember not to touch your face with them. The virus doesn't seem to survive long on fabric so they probably won't be infected anymore after a few hours. However if you touch your phone with your gloves, clean it because it can survive longer on that.

I know people resent living in this kind of fear, but looking at the numbers, New York City looks like it will be worse than Wuhan, Lombardy or Madrid. Possibly much worse. Hopefully in a few weeks the lockdown measures succeed in reducing cases and you can ease up on some of the paranoia.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:55 AM

President Trump says he is considering imposing a quarantine on New York, parts of New Jersey and parts of Connecticut.

In a gaggle with reporters, the president said he had spoken with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo this morning and might make a decision later today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...d-connecticut/

Old 03-28-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Are the hospitals overrun or not? Because I keep hearing conflicting reports from them being a mess to empty waiting areas/waste of time building some. Doctors getting furloughed, etc.

https://twitter.com/DilleyShow/statu...27903349293058
Some are, but clearly others aren't. You can't choose to not go to a hospital in Brooklyn or elsewhere in the city that is not overwhelmed and then complain. And, quite frankly, the city should be doing a better job tracking which hospitals are not overwhelmed so that patients can be taken there.

Talk about the desperate need for 30,000 ventilators isn't helping with the misinformation either as there are not 30,000 hospitalizations from this virus in the city (no where close to that). I get that this number may be needed eventually (sooner rather than later), but the number is not needed right this instance.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
President Trump says he is considering imposing a quarantine on New York, parts of New Jersey and parts of Connecticut.

In a gaggle with reporters, the president said he had spoken with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo this morning and might make a decision later today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...d-connecticut/
I think it would be for the best. As long as people continue to recklessly leave the city for other parts of the country, etc.--thereby taking the virus with them--I believe that such a move has to be made. Still sad all the same.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I’m devastated right now. Just found out that one of my best shooting buddies passed away this morning from the virus. He was legitimately one of the best, nicest guys you could ever meet. Only 50 years old and the father of two early 20’s daughters.
Sorry to hear that, bud. This is a very serious thing. Thoughts go out to you and your friend's family.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:07 AM

15,868 posts, read 14,510,806 times
I said this a while ago. To many things influence the positive case numbers (revolving around testing availability issues) for that to be a useful indicator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm starting to think the positive case numbers don't matter at all anymore, at least in hard hit areas. The only numbers that matter are number who need hospitalization, # who need ICU care, and # of dead.

The positive case count just sounds totally arbitrary, especially after tests like the one in Iceland finds that there is a huge rate of asymptomatic, and also there's a high rate of those who have some minor mild ailment and would never even think of seeking out a doctor's appointment for something so mild.

Add to that that each country's testing method is completely different, so it's like apples and oranges.

I do think if there were a way of testing everyone, once a week, that carriers could be quarantined even if showing no symptoms, and the rate of hospitalizations would therefore decrease, saving many people's lives. But that's unrealistic.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I think it would be for the best. As long as people continue to recklessly leave the city for other parts of the country, etc.--thereby taking the virus with them--I believe that such a move has to be made. Still sad all the same.
Cuomo is, predictably, coming out against any such quarantine order, saying that it wouldn't do anything medically and that he has a hard time seeing how it would be enforceable.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...-come/2348306/

Does "America's governor" really not see the medical benefit of quarantining the epicenter of coronavirus cases in the US?

In terms of enforcement, it would largely be via roadway entry and exit points into those areas; people would still be able to exit on foot depending on where they are in the states, but that's another story. And it would take either the cooperation of the local authorities (given Cuomo's language, I say fat chance of that) or the federalization of the National Guard to enforce, which would be the most likely scenario. You'd also have to severely clamp down on air traffic out of these areas for the duration of the quarantine in order for it to be effective.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:10 AM

Some people would like to see New York quarantined because its a hot spot. New York, New Jersey, maybe one or two other places. Certain parts of Connecticut quarantined,” Trump said as he left the White House en route of Norfolk, Va. to see off the USNS Comfort, a Navy hospital ship that is headed to New York to provide extra hospital space to help fight the outbreak.

"I am thinking about that right now. We might not have to do it but there’s a possibility that sometime today we’ll do a quarantine, short term, two weeks, on New York. Probably New Jersey, certain parts of Connecticut," Trump continued.

"I don’t know how that could be legally enforceable,” Cuomo continued, adding “I don’t even like the sound of it.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...ticut-n1171186
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City