Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 11:48 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
Also hate going shopping, even with a mask. Not going in if theres a crowded parking lot.
First time I've seen lines being formed outside to enter grocery stores with security at the door counting how many are in the store before letting anyone in. Not all stores are doing this. Some are still packed with no social distancing at all. I've stopped going to those places.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:50 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
“I don’t even know what that means,″ Cuomo said during a briefing in New York. “I don’t know how that could be legally enforceable, and from a medical point of view, I don’t know what you would be accomplishing. ... I don’t like the sound of it.”

It isn’t clear whether the federal government has the power to impose such restrictions on states. Under the country’s constitutional system, states have the power and responsibility for maintaining public order and safety. The federal government is empowered under the law to take measures to prevent the spread of communicable diseases between states, but it’s not clear that means Trump can order state residents to stay put.

https://apnews.com/c52eb7fc343906ac2...&utm_medium=AP

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I’m devastated right now. Just found out that one of my best shooting buddies passed away this morning from the virus. He was legitimately one of the best, nicest guys you could ever meet. Only 50 years old and the father of two early 20’s daughters.

May he RIP. Sending out a prayer for his daughters.

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Thanks for sharing this video. This is like fact-checking. Personally, I'm glad to see the waiting room with so few people. This is good news in the midst of sadness from the news of those who have died from COVID-19.

I do get your point, however. Cuomo's first news conference that I heard about a week ago was full of calm, level-headed, but passionate concern about what this virus is doing and will do to the state and the city as tests become more widely administered. It was encouraging. The next day, he went into straight panic mode speaking in worse case scenario terms as it's a foregone conclusion. He's been that way since. The masks are a good example. "No masks, no masks, NYC hospitals have NO masks, NO supplies that they need!" says he.

When his comment is called out on by Fox News' Carlson Tucker who repeated the report that there were 5,000 stored in a warehouse (in Brooklyn I believe) for the time when they will be needed, Cuomo quickly backpedaled. He then admitted yes there are thousands of masks in storage but that he was talking about more is needed for the expectant apex of hospitalizations to occur in 2-3 weeks.

Why didn't he express that specifically when he was crying and hand-wringing that NY hospitals don't have enough masks TODAY during his news conferences?? If the person in charge is keeping them in stock instead of sending them out to the boro hospitals that actually need them now, that's another matter that should be addressed and remedied.

For eons women (& girls) have taken the wrap for being emotionally illogical creatures who are prone to fret, worry and panic. This crisis shows us that MEN are just as likely to act the same way. The only difference is context - what is being panicked about.
I’m not fan of Andy but it’s his job to panic to bring aid to the region ASAP, just like it’s the job of a congressman to bring pork back back to their district. If he’s just like “nah we good, but wash those hands!” it doesn’t spark the feds to do anything.

His real screwup was letting the healthcare system suck to begin with. They’ve known we were not prepared since at least 2009.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:51 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Thanks for sharing this video. This is like fact-checking. Personally, I'm glad to see the waiting room with so few people. This is good news in the midst of sadness from the news of those who have died from COVID-19.

I do get your point, however. Cuomo's first news conference that I heard about a week ago was full of calm, level-headed, but passionate concern about what this virus is doing and will do to the state and the city as tests become more widely administered. It was encouraging. The next day, he went into straight panic mode speaking in worse case scenario terms as it's a foregone conclusion. He's been that way since. The masks are a good example. "No masks, no masks, NYC hospitals have NO masks, NO supplies that they need!" says he.

When his comment is called out on by Fox News' Carlson Tucker who repeated the report that there were 5,000 stored in a warehouse (in Brooklyn I believe) for the time when they will be needed, Cuomo quickly backpedaled. He then admitted yes there are thousands of masks in storage but that he was talking about more is needed for the expectant apex of hospitalizations to occur in 2-3 weeks.

Why didn't he express that specifically when he was crying and hand-wringing that NY hospitals don't have enough masks TODAY during his news conferences?? If the person in charge is keeping them in stock instead of sending them out to the boro hospitals that actually need them now, that's another matter that should be addressed and remedied.

For eons women (& girls) have taken the wrap for being emotionally illogical creatures who are prone to fret, worry and panic. This crisis shows us that MEN are just as likely to act the same way. The only difference is context - what is being panicked about.
Rep'd. Like I've said before, its mind-boggling to me the applause and praise Cuomos is getting from leftists circles in the face of his poor leadership when you actually look at what's happening on the ground. Being able to give a good speech and press conference is not good leadership. Its giving a good speech and press conference.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I’m not fan of Andy but it’s his job to panic to bring aid to the region ASAP, just like it’s the job of a congressman to bring pork back back to their district. If he’s just like “nah we good, but wash those hands!” it doesn’t spark the feds to do anything.

His real screwup was letting the healthcare system suck to begin with. They’ve known we were not prepared since at least 2009.
While I agree to an extent, that shouldn't include lying and partisanship, which he has done as well.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:54 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I’m not usually one to be hit hard by deaths. I’ve been exposed to so much of it that I’m very desensitized to it. But this one is truly heartbreaking.
Stay safe yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
“I don’t even know what that means,″ Cuomo said during a briefing in New York. “I don’t know how that could be legally enforceable, and from a medical point of view, I don’t know what you would be accomplishing. ... I don’t like the sound of it.”

It isn’t clear whether the federal government has the power to impose such restrictions on states. Under the country’s constitutional system, states have the power and responsibility for maintaining public order and safety. The federal government is empowered under the law to take measures to prevent the spread of communicable diseases between states, but it’s not clear that means Trump can order state residents to stay put.

https://apnews.com/c52eb7fc343906ac2...&utm_medium=AP
I think its plenty clear that the federal government has strong constitutional authority over this issue, but only to the extent that a federal quarantine order would essentially mean closing off the border. Interstate commerce (which border crossings would fall under) is a federal responsibility. Whether the federal government could enforce an order to have residents in the states stay in their homes is another story.

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...53994743103489

Old 03-28-2020, 11:55 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Default Even more heartbreaking

Quote:
This friend will be missed by a lot of people. He was the type that you’d have to search far and wide to find anyone to ever say a bad word about him. Truly a terrible loss.
It always makes it twice as sad when it's such a good person like that. It's an age-old conundrum, bad people do all of their selfish, evil stuff and continue to live. Here is a good person who doesn't do those things - they're the opposite, they're kind, good hearted, selfless and yet they die. It seems so unfair that that's how life is. My heart goes out to you, Airborneguy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City