Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 07:55 AM

494 posts, read 557,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Stores are not designed physically to promote social distancing. The aisles are narrow and when you get to the check out good luck being six feet apart. Wear gloves and just go at off peak times. If you live alone and have a cough and nerd food you would go to the store too, be honest to yourself. So don't punch anyone.

My problem is that people are sick and not respecting distance when they can. They don't care if they get others sick as well.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:56 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
The reality is that for people who are effectively working from home and not headed out into semi crowded areas their best chance of catching it is at the grocery stores. I definitely fall in that group. Although I am still working at the office we are fairly spread out with some at home and I have picked up food for takeout but there is usually just a few other people at most there. There is no question if I get it or if I already had it and did not know I probably contracted it there.
Went to get take out yesterday and to the grocery. People enter and look at the menu and take a minute to order then order and stand there to get the food. My wife ordered and waited outside until food was ready. When we went to the grocery waited for the people clustered at register to leave before entering. All you can do is not touch anything. It's a risk you assume but stay level headed.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrical View Post
My problem is that people are sick and not respecting distance when they can. They don't care if they get others sick as well.
I know. Americans are selfish under ideal circumstances.. However, some people have no choice as well. Not everyone can go without food including sick people. The thing is not touching surfaces and keeping your distance. People who look perfectly healthy might be at greater risk of infecting you then a person coughing. Just keep your cool. Yes, some people just don't give a crap. Like drivers who still cut you off when the roads are empty. People are selfish and inconsiderate

Old 03-28-2020, 08:01 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,299,703 times
Quote:
Went to get take out yesterday and to the grocery. People enter and look at the menu and take a minute to order then order and stand there to get the food. My wife ordered and waited outside until food was ready. When we went to the grocery waited for the people clustered at register to leave before entering. All you can do is not touch anything. It's a risk you assume but stay level headed.
I’m becoming somewhat less nervous about being around those who aren’t visibly sick for a short time because they’re finding evidence that the level of virus your are exposed to determines severity of illness. Especially if you’re young. This is why some of the worst cases are the ones contracted from a family member or by doctors. The longer you’re near the sick person the more sick you will get. This is evidently the case with most viruses but it’s not something I ever knew. I guess this largely explains how many of the under 40 deaths have been doctors

Old 03-28-2020, 08:01 AM

874 posts, read 453,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrical View Post

"Why are stores that are open letting people who are visibly sick still enter?

I saw at the grocery store someone sneezing and coughing . . .so I walked out.

Then i went to CVS this morning at 7am I was the only one in the store, then some sick person walks up to me in the aisle and says excuse me to walk by....
every other aisle was empty and I would have moved if I saw her coming but i didn't until she was practically on me.

People are so annoying and disrespectful and makes me feel like punching someone in the face. Not to mention CVS wanting to sell me a $30 thermometer that was $18 in store and online last week."

remember, you're not 'alone.' (experiencing what you're experiencing)....

Old 03-28-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruSue View Post
remember, you're not 'alone.' (experiencing what you're experiencing)....
That some how is a consolation for many aspects and situations in life. We are not the only ones who have experienced what ever it is that we feel. Cheers, if others can manage then so can we.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:21 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
New York City March 26, 2020 neighborhood map

I will update Saturday numbers and details for NYC and NY state soon

Old 03-28-2020, 08:28 AM

494 posts, read 557,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
New York City March 26, 2020 neighborhood map

I will update Saturday numbers and details for NYC and NY state soon

https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-...keeps-nyc-dark

That map doesn't really tell us anything but thanks for trying.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:37 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm speculating that many of us in NYC area have already gotten infected by COVID19 back in December. The recent test results are not a shock but confirmation that we are getting either strain 2 or a large number of sick due to being indoors too much. I know I was sick for a week in December, not serious just a cough, headache, and mild fever and went away for good before X-mas. The cough did have a little extra pain to it but I don't know whether or not it is COVID19. If I can get a test and confirm that I have the antibodies it may confirm my speculation that the virus was circulation a lot earlier.
I have a few coworkers who feel the same way---they never really get sick but in January/February, they were very sick. And one of them---her husband was really sick as well and tested negative for the flu. So they are wondering if they already had it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Let them be. Their the same ones who dont get vaccinated against preventable things like measles then when it hits their community they wonder what happened. Let them spread it among themselves, they will learn eventually, maybe.
The problem is that it still can spread to others not in the group anyway and then they are taking away from so many resources when they do get sick.

Quote:
On the news they are showing pictures of parks and people gathering in clusters and that people are socially irresponsible. However, this is just part observation and questian, what if the people sitting together, playing basketball etc are people who have constantly been in close contact with each other ? Does that make a difference. I mean if you are roommates, class mates, extended family, neighbors who have shared tight spaces for weeks together why couldn't you gather with each other outside what further difference would it make ? If you just stayed in a group. These camera shots are not too informative if that is the case correct ? It just feeds to fear mongering. Now of course if total strangers are just deciding to hang out with each other that's crazy
Quote:
I agree with avoiding all travel outside unless needed. Yet, just asking a questian. If you have spentd 5 days or more with the same family members or coworkers, or roommates does it matter if the same group of people go outside together to get some air together ? Because when they show clusters of people on the news at a play ground or park perhaps that is what we are actually seeing ? Now would that behaviour is different then what happened at spring break and Fat Tuesday festivals around the country. That is something that has to be considered and not merely point fingers at people to label them bad and me good. I went on a walk with my dog, and family at the Park. There were gatherings of coworkers and families. On the surface it looked like people were irresponsible and it seemed alarming. Yet, if the people gathered together all live together they are not putting anyone at greater risk if they stay to themselves right ?
I agree. I am stuck with my husband all day and night if I am not at work. We're in a very tiny space and we have no outdoor space to even escape to---if we both walk together outside, what difference does it make? It's probably better to get some fresh air, especially for him because of his asthma.

Yesterday we went for a lovely walk (with about a million other people) and saw that most people were very separated. You had singles, couples or families but everyone stayed away from each other. If people saw it was too crowded on the path, they went a little to the left or the right or left the path all together.

Except for runners and bicyclists---they are still the worst.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:38 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,591 times
Watching from the West Coast, both local and national media has constantly been covering New York, Manhattan, Elmhurst, Queens. It has been drilled into our heads southern New York is the “epicenter” of Covid-19. People dropping like flies as infected city dwellers flee both infection and disgusting living conditions, spreading the virus to Long Island, Jersey Shore, Florida.

It’s not a good look. City and burroughs look like a dirty Petri dish, filled with illegals and nightmare living conditions. Maybe the following will change as the infection spreads, but as of right now NYC is this country’s Chernobyl, a no-go zone of way too many people jammed together, infection spreading like an out-of-control wildfire. And I believe this impression will stick for a generation, i.e. all the people watching at home in real time.

May also be personal bias. Never understood the appeal of living in a sardine can with no peace, constant noise, and jam packed with potential disease vectors. And residents pay a premium for this abuse. Astounding, truly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.