Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 10:58 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
No joke guys, stop watching the news for a day or two. The virus will still be here. Enjoy our lives.
I can't go on Facebook without seeing a Coronavirus post. I am practicing social media distincing

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-27-2020, 10:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
No. People were saying the same thing after 9/11 vis a vis terrorism. Didn't happen. Won't now.
Coronavirus impacted way more people.

9/11 shut down businesses, lead to martial law, or overwhelmed hospitals. Only the people in the airplanes or the WTC got killed. Coronavirus may kill millions in the US alone. Huge difference.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:08 AM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Irrelevant. We're talking about threat not real effect.

And CV-19 is fanning out. It's going to hit the whole country, just later. It's already starting. I'm watching Florida to see how it spreads in a more suburban setting. And with it's hordes of retirees, if it gets going there, it's going to have a big death toll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Coronavirus impacted way more people.

9/11 shut down businesses, lead to martial law, or overwhelmed hospitals. Only the people in the airplanes or the WTC got killed. Coronavirus may kill millions in the US alone. Huge difference.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:13 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I hate to tell you but at this point everyone at everyones job has or had the coronavirus.
I agree. But some people share tighter spaces with others. For example, my husband works in an open office, but everyone has their own desk and/or space still. We all share work stations, have no windows and barely any air circulation.

We work with many immunocompromised people so we need to be extra cautious.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:20 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,237,720 times
How are the homeless doing?

Old 03-27-2020, 11:24 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
I'm speculating that many of us in NYC area have already gotten infected by COVID19 back in December. The recent test results are not a shock but confirmation that we are getting either strain 2 or a large number of sick due to being indoors too much. I know I was sick for a week in December, not serious just a cough, headache, and mild fever and went away for good before X-mas. The cough did have a little extra pain to it but I don't know whether or not it is COVID19. If I can get a test and confirm that I have the antibodies it may confirm my speculation that the virus was circulation a lot earlier.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:24 AM

5,897 posts, read 6,100,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
This changes everything. What I noticed is this. In the past twenty years, millions of college educated people move to cities to find work and many ended up in some great jobs, flourshing careers and etc. Now with the Coronavirus, college grads will think otherwise about moving to cities to find work. Even my employer right now is thinking about renting an office in White Plains NY and will move out of the city by next year, and only maintain a small shell skeleton office in NYC. And it looks like I may need to get a new job, unless I get a car.
Last I checked Westchester had a higher percentage of their population infected than NYC so not sure being in the suburbs would change much.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:27 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm speculating that many of us in NYC area have already gotten infected by COVID19 back in December. The recent test results are not a shock but confirmation that we are getting either strain 2 or a large number of sick due to being indoors too much. I know I was sick for a week in December, not serious just a cough, headache, and mild fever and went away for good before X-mas. The cough did have a little extra pain to it but I don't know whether or not it is COVID19. If I can get a test and confirm that I have the antibodies it may confirm my speculation that the virus was circulation a lot earlier.
It was definitely starting to go around in December but late Jan and February is really when it started blowing up. They had DIRECT flights straight from WUHAN CHINA to JFK QUEENS every single day from parient zero on 11/21 through 1/23. That's 60 straights days of an uninterrupted pipeline directly from the infected source and into NYC

Old 03-27-2020, 11:27 AM

5,897 posts, read 6,100,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I think the death toll would have been much higher in Dec to Jan if that was true. What you're describing could just be flu or common cold symptoms, both viruses that were very widespread at the time.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:30 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Last I checked Westchester had a higher percentage of their population infected than NYC so not sure being in the suburbs would change much.
Basically everybody in Westchester/Fairfield/Bergin/Union/Monmouth/etc... work in NYC and bring back the charm to their families every night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City