Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 02:57 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
you also might want to cite some reliable sources
I read a lot of articles and listen intently to the Governor's and the Presidents daily briefings. I cannot cite exactly where each bit of information comes from. You can read what the info I provide, or ignore it. I'm perfectly fine either way.

Interestingly though, you seem to only ask ME for Sources. Why is that?

Secondly, the flu comparison. Yes I did, so did ALL MEDIA AND POLITICIANS just a few weeks ago. (Need I post the numerous video's of our lovely NYC leadership telling us to not fear anything and go out and enjoy the day just a month ago?)

I was going off what they were saying. As we all know this thing moved rapidly and changed daily. We all had to adjust our thoughts on it, as did I. Changing your thoughts on an endlessly evolving situation is a good thing. But let's just harp on what my thoughts were weeks ago. That's always helpful

Old 04-08-2020, 03:03 PM

37,122 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
I read a lot of articles and listen intently to the Governor's and the Presidents daily briefings. I cannot cite exactly where each bit of information comes from. You can read what the info I provide, or ignore it. I'm perfectly fine either way.

Interestingly though, you seem to only ask ME for Sources. Why is that?

Secondly, the flu comparison. Yes I did, so did ALL MEDIA AND POLITICIANS just a few weeks ago. (Need I post the numerous video's of our lovely NYC leadership telling us to not fear anything and go out and enjoy the day just a month ago?)

I was going off what they were saying. As we all know this thing moved rapidly and changed daily. We all had to adjust our thoughts on it, as did I. Changing your thoughts on an endlessly evolving situation is a good thing. But let's just harp on what my thoughts were weeks ago. That's always helpful
Wait, does someone else saying something wrong somehow make it right? I'm also pretty sure there's a fairly large contingent of people who are not at all enamored with De Blasio. I'm in that camp--I also think the head of the state and federal governments aren't much good at anything but getting elected and being self-serving.

You do bring up a good point though--if there's been issues with what's been said from getting little bits of information from politicians, then perhaps it might make sense to be a bit critical of what's being said.

And it's definitely not something that all media and politicians said a few weeks ago. That's actually demonstrably true. It's also not true that the coronavirus was at any point a strain of influenza or that was commonly believed among medical professionals looking into it. If you didn't make that up whole cloth, then at least you should recognize that you're misinterpreting things or misstating things.

The problem with the post I responded to is you're stating things in a way with a certainty that is unwarranted. Does that make sense? You can just as well say, "here's a study that says ____", but you didn't. I mean, how close are you to veering off into saying "see, the number of deaths from coronavirus are close to the flu, lololol, I was right?" and then conveniently forget the massive measures that were put in place to make that so? That's unlikely to be you because you're not an idiot, but there's definitely a breed of people that are very happy to disavow instances when they're wrong and then contort things to make it sound like they aren't. I guess it's a small thing, but it'd be nice to post with a clear delineation of what is more or less confirmed and what is your hopes or feeling.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-08-2020 at 03:22 PM..

Old 04-08-2020, 03:08 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
March 01, 2020

Manhattan woman is N.Y. state’s first confirmed coronavirus case

A New York City woman who recently traveled to Iran is New York State’s first confirmed coronavirus patient.

The woman, who’s in her late 30s, is isolated in her Manhattan apartment, according a source with direct knowledge of the situation.

She has respiratory symptoms, but is not in serious condition, Gov. Cuomo announced Sunday night.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...i34-story.html

Feb 01. 2020

De Blasio urges NYC to “go about your lives normally” despite possible coronavirus case

https://nypost.com/2020/02/01/de-bla...f-coronavirus/

Old 04-08-2020, 03:09 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
Gotcha.

Listen I'm not into long back and forths. You said your peace and I said mine.

Just wonder why other people posting their information are not being questioned for sources, but I guess that will remain unanswered.

Have a good day.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Gotcha.

Listen I'm not into long back and forths. You said your peace and I said mine.

Just wonder why other people posting their information are not being questioned for sources, but I guess that will remain unanswered.

Have a good day.
Because they aren't as often stating such specific things about the future in such a definitive manner, or in the case of posters like BPt111, actually post links that aren't opinion pieces or particularly questionable.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:15 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
March 01, 2020

Manhattan woman is N.Y. state’s first confirmed coronavirus case

A New York City woman who recently traveled to Iran is New York State’s first confirmed coronavirus patient.

The woman, who’s in her late 30s, is isolated in her Manhattan apartment, according a source with direct knowledge of the situation.

She has respiratory symptoms, but is not in serious condition, Gov. Cuomo announced Sunday night.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...i34-story.html

Feb 01. 2020

De Blasio urges NYC to “go about your lives normally” despite possible coronavirus case

https://nypost.com/2020/02/01/de-bla...f-coronavirus/
Obviously we are all trying to figure out the macro lessons on everything and it's a work in progress, but IMO, next time someone (anywhere) in the world announces they found a new virus / bacteria that seriously sickened a human we need to:

1) Immediately get the DNA sequence and publish for all labs on earth
2) Develop a mass-producable test within a few days
3) Ban travel for anyone coming directly from the region or who has been there unless:
a. they can be tested; or
b. they force quarantine for 2 weeks
4) Contact trace anyone who came in proximity with an infected person and test them all, making it a felony to knowingly go in public after being notified of exposure and not going into quarantine

Old 04-08-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Obviously we are all trying to figure out the macro lessons on everything and it's a work in progress, but IMO, next time someone (anywhere) in the world announces they found a new virus / bacteria that seriously sickened a human we need to:

1) Immediately get the DNA sequence and publish for all labs on earth
2) Develop a mass-producable test within a few days
3) Ban travel for anyone coming directly from the region or who has been there unless:
a. they can be tested; or
b. they force quarantine for 2 weeks
4) Contact trace anyone who came in proximity with an infected person and test them all, making it a felony to knowingly go in public after being notified or exposure and not going into quarantine
And have a national agency that exists even when there is not a current pandemic that monitors and prepares for such and can take the role of coordinating a response.

Your 1-4 with the help of what I mentioned probably played a large role in why Taiwan, South Korea, and Singapore were able to do reasonably well (thus far).

Old 04-08-2020, 03:32 PM

874 posts, read 453,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post

"NYC is low on respirators, meanwhile
The 3M company is sending respirators
Overseas.

Whats up with that?"

as long as it's not ak47's and the like sent to the ukraine, saudi arabia, the rebels in '________' wherever
fighting X terrorist group.....

let's cut down on those 'type' of overseas care packages......[forever].

Old 04-08-2020, 03:56 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
41 Transit Workers Dead: Crisis Takes Staggering Toll on Subways

The M.T.A. has been criticized for its response to the outbreak. Now a staffing shortage has made it difficult to keep even a diminished system running.

At least 41 transit workers have died, and more than 6,000 more have fallen sick or self-quarantined. Crew shortages have caused over 800 subway delays and forced 40 percent of train trips to be canceled in a single day. On one line the average wait time, usually a few minutes, ballooned to as high as 40 minutes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/n...ta-subway.html

Old 04-08-2020, 03:57 PM

874 posts, read 453,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

"Comrade DeBlasio now saying he wants a draft for doctors to force them into the COVID wards."

they should of been sent in sooner -- deployed to all 50 states.
fluck the taliban. we need corporal klinger and dr. BJ here--on american soil. not
fumbling about with the rebels either in syria...(and iraq)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City