Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 04:00 PM

103 posts, read 92,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Stereo View Post
I'm next-of-kin to an elderly parent, and have been staying with her to 1) make sure she stays inside as much as humanly possible, 2) braving the elements to take care of groceries and laundry for her. A couple of people within a 5-block radius of her have already passed away, so I couldn't leave her by herself.

I've been a nervous mess over using public laundromats lately. Her apartment building has a small, relatively well-kept laundry, but should I be taking additional precautions aside from protecting my face/hands and washing when no one's around?
I use delivery.com for my laundry. They come to me, they take my laundry bag, and they drop it off clean and folded a day later.

Probably not worth it for you if there's one in the building, but something to keep in mind if you want options.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:12 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Would be nice if people would say China virus instead of Chinese virus, or just the coronavirus/covid, but I digress...
Except that's not how people generally speak. We don't say the "Africa Union" or the "Europe Union," but the African Union and the European Union.

When we refer to the "Spanish Flu" (as opposed to "Spain Flu"), everyone knows we aren't attacking or labeling Spaniards. The same assumption should apply to anyone calling covid the "Chinese virus." Unless someone gives me reason to believe otherwise, I assume they are merely referring to the country of origin.

NO, the Spanish Flu didn't start in Spain, but given that Spain was one of a handful of countries not under media blackout at the time due to WWI, much of the news that people were getting on the virus came from Spain, which led to the misconception among many that the virus originated there.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:12 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,235,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Stereo View Post
I'm next-of-kin to an elderly parent, and have been staying with her to 1) make sure she stays inside as much as humanly possible, 2) braving the elements to take care of groceries and laundry for her. A couple of people within a 5-block radius of her have already passed away, so I couldn't leave her by herself.

I've been a nervous mess over using public laundromats lately. Her apartment building has a small, relatively well-kept laundry, but should I be taking additional precautions aside from protecting my face/hands and washing when no one's around?
The laundry room in the building would probably be safer, but I think the laundromat would also be safe as long as you maintain 6' distance from other patrons. The direct droplet method appears to the primary transmission cause, with "aerosolized virus spray" onto touched surfaces as secondary. Just wear gloves while there and dispose them when you get home, then wash hands thoroughly.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:17 PM

874 posts, read 454,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post

"Too bad most people can't pull themselves away from the TV for a bit and get honest numbers."

honestly, todays deceased number was 562. (right)?

there's something gruesome & chilling about hundreds and hundreds A DAY. whether here, italy, spain.

Brrrr.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:28 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
First, the origins are quite suspect, and even if you give benefit of the doubt there, the Chinese have been horrendous with their lies and coverups and trying to shut up whistle blowers like that poor doctor who died.

There is hardly anything suspect about the origins. Wildlife domestication is a centuries-old tradition in China, longer than hunting with firearms is in North America. With that as your starting point, there are many channels through which the virus could have crossed over to humans other than in the market. It could have started in a farm in the hinterlands and a person working there may have been infected and later travelled to Wuhan.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:31 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Cuomo is trying to move heaven and earth to get ventilators. Unfortunately most CV-19 patients put on ventilators die anyway. I've heard numbers anywhere from 50-80% (the number are still in flux because this situation is still pretty new.)

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...id-19-patients

Old 04-03-2020, 04:37 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
They didn't come out of the forest directly into the human population. This came out of the Wuhan virology lab. They didn't create it. but there were studying exactly this (coronaviruses in bat populations.) Then someone had a woopsie.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...to-wuhan-labs/

https://youtu.be/bpQFCcSI0pU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
There is hardly anything suspect about the origins. Wildlife domestication is a centuries-old tradition in China, longer than hunting with firearms is in North America. With that as your starting point, there are many channels through which the virus could have crossed over to humans other than in the market. It could have started in a farm in the hinterlands and a person working there may have been infected and later travelled to Wuhan.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:42 PM

874 posts, read 454,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
I wonder what is so hard to call it by the official name: COVID-19 or just coronavirus?
The China Virus....

3 to 4 weeks from now, apex/peak, whatever you want to call it -- we will not have enough equipment [ventilators, beds) nor personnel to save people…

(…and as of yesterday – the paramedics have to leave people to die -- if they’re in cardiac arrest) – no room at the inn.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:47 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
They didn't come out of the forest directly into the human population. This came out of the Wuhan virology lab. They didn't create it. but there were studying exactly this (coronaviruses in bat populations.) Then someone had a woopsie.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...to-wuhan-labs/

https://youtu.be/bpQFCcSI0pU

There is no credible scientific publication or medical journal that corroborates this accusation. It doesn't have to come "directly out of the forest". The evidence suggests there was an intermediate host, either another wild animal, a domesticated wild animal, or a domesticated animal. All you need to cultivate this virus is to raise civets or wild boar in a farm, which is very common in parts of China. You don't need a lab to do this.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:50 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
There is no credible scientific publication or medical journal that corroborates this accusation. It doesn't have to come "directly out of the forest". The evidence suggests there was an intermediate host, either another wild animal, a domesticated wild animal, or a domesticated animal. All you need to cultivate this virus is to raise civets or wild boar in a farm, which is very common in parts of China. You don't need a lab to do this.
FHD, I'm one of those that like to follow proper science and rational thought, but if you follow the timeline in that link (https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...to-wuhan-labs/) it's pretty damning evidence. Not conclusive by any means, but it's looking very plausible that this in fact was an ill advised experiment gone wrong on the part of the Chinese government to find viruses in the wild and investigate their effects
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.