Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 12:14 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,083,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
No Guyanese culture what?! Come on, yes Guyana is made up of different ethnicities and when combined you have the Guyanese culture. We have our own style of speakin, though similar to the Caribbean Islands. I don't know a lot of cultures that have pepper pot, black puddin, pine tart, black cake etc. I could go on and on, I really can't believe you said we don't have our own culture.
lol Its alot like NYC. Guyana has cultures but not a single common culture like DR for example or Cuba, and not a common identity that soldifiy themselves as Guyanese, the different ethnic groups as of yet did not combine the tastes and sounds together and same goes for religion which obviously can not be combined either. Every group in Guyana has thier own customs and norms. Now you mention the food of the country, every ethnic food has its own dish and the dish are not native to Guyana except for pepper pot which is created from Yuca root in form of cassreep by Amerindians. As for Black Puddin, thats not a guyanese dish, its actually from Ireland a product which was imporated by Irish immigrants and Black Puddin is eatin all over the new world from canada to mexico and down to Tierra del fuego in Argentina, Black cake is not a guyanese dish either, black cake has been consumed for the past 300 years again another import to guyana. Since you mentiond black puddin which I obvisouly love Im going to go down the block to a Dominican restaurant called el Valle and pick up some or should I go to Woodlawn section of the BRonx and try some authentic IRish black puddin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 01:36 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,422,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
No Guyanese culture what?! Come on, yes Guyana is made up of different ethnicities and when combined you have the Guyanese culture. We have our own style of speakin, though similar to the Caribbean Islands. I don't know a lot of cultures that have pepper pot, black puddin, pine tart, black cake etc. I could go on and on, I really can't believe you said we don't have our own culture.
u forgot chiney cake...i got GT friends

"pass de chinaman cake bai"

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-23-2009, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,256 times
What does it matter where you come from? or, what you consider to be (your) "culture"
quite frankly people in a supposedly civilized society should have better sense
Once here you can't break the laws and....there are noise codes - period

Old 03-23-2010, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,425 times
It is not wise to make such generalization. You live in a neighborhood with a few..what 0.100000000000000000% guyanese and clain to be an expert on guyanese culture.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:04 AM

304 posts, read 784,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellat View Post
...Lastly, for your information, Guyanese folks are not new immigrants at all. I know Guyanese people who have lived in NY for 30, 40 years.
doesn't matter, in america, alot of people are consider immigrants (non-euro) no matter how long you trace your ancestry here. asian-americans have been here for since 1800s and are still seen as recent immigrants. e.g. a friend's family immigrated here around 1880s, so is 3rd/4th generation american. but he still get asked questions like what country are you from and why his english is so good.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:03 PM

281 posts, read 1,239,211 times
Time to get flamed and be called a racist,I guess.Working in Manhattan more than 20 years ago in a company with many people of West Indian/Caribbean origin,I found several of my Guyanese co-workers to be among the most unapproachable,nastiest, and certainly racist people I came in contact with. Excuse me, you came here.All my Jamaican,Barbadian,St.Lucian,Haitian,Dominican etc. friends/co-workers were much friendlier,willing to share their dishes and their culture while the Guyanese acted elitest.Good luck getting that party/music turned down,it won't happen.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:34 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,433,876 times
i never had any issues with guyanese people. all though here in nyc most of the loud music stereotypes go to the jamaicans , same as crime.

o well carib/west indies for life haitian representa here

Old 03-29-2010, 11:43 PM

961 posts, read 2,466,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
i never had any issues with guyanese people. all though here in nyc most of the loud music stereotypes go to the jamaicans , same as crime.

o well carib/west indies for life haitian representa here
^ Sak ap Fete, I second that notion, never no problems with the Guyanese massive, Jamaicans do get a bad rap though. Remember when we (Haitians) had the bad rap?

Old 03-30-2010, 01:03 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,433,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
^ Sak ap Fete, I second that notion, never no problems with the Guyanese massive, Jamaicans do get a bad rap though. Remember when we (Haitians) had the bad rap?
yea we got the bad rep as people always cracking on us , and making fun of us. nowadays the people who crack on haitians are lames who dont get out much. i never was unhappy to be haitian and hated the haitians who did.

but us haitians run things especially that labor day parade , where in nyc you from , im from flatbush

Old 03-31-2010, 11:18 AM

961 posts, read 2,466,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
yea we got the bad rep as people always cracking on us , and making fun of us. nowadays the people who crack on haitians are lames who dont get out much. i never was unhappy to be haitian and hated the haitians who did.

but us haitians run things especially that labor day parade , where in nyc you from , im from flatbush
I'm originally from Elizabeth New Jersey, got alot of fam in the bush and Canarsie. But most my fam is in Queens, Far Rockaway, Queensvillage, Rosedale, Cambria etc...For the moment I'll be in Far Rock as I am transitioning from Florida. I'll tell you when I first moved there it was worse than just cracking, in Florida back in the 90's I actually got into fights with people over my nationality, suffice it to say I'm not too nostalgic about that. Alot of kids would hide their nationality but I never did. My cousins in Miami told me about Haitian Fridays, where the last Friday of every month the African Americans would roam around schools looking for anyone they thought was Haitian and jump them and very often they'd even pull them out of class. But yes, we run Eastern Parkway I'm always following the Ti Vice or the Carimi floats. Let me stop hijacking this thread though, send me a Direct Message if you want finish this discussion, I'm pretty sure we could go on for a minute about the Parkway and people hating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City