Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:45 PM

25 posts, read 55,628 times

Advertisements

I know this is an old thread, but got to comment in any event. I am a white guy, married to the most beautiful Guyanese girl for 13 years now. While we moved away from NYC in 2004, I still have great memories of the Guyanese people I got to know there. Used to go to pick up food in many of the Guyanese stores/restaurants and always felt more than welcome. Sometimes some of the more shady guys would stop what they were doing and giving me a good look, but I think that had more to do with the fact that I could have passed as NYPD, and not because of my color/background.

All of my wife's family and friends have been very welcoming and treat me as one of their own and I truly hope that we will be able to go visit Guyana sometime in the near future.

I am not defending the neighbors in the OP, but please do not generalize based on some isolated rude incidents.

Now somebody send me some of those yummy cheeserolls and food from the Kaieteur Falls restaurant in Brooklyn, if that still is around.

Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,609 times
American education is going down the toilets. Sad if these people think they have a chance of becoming something better. Even if you busted your ass off and attain degrees/certificates you will be discriminated. Better off investing your education in guyana and living with your own to gain better self identity then arrive with a degree in the states.

I am warning all guyanese to expand their education in their native land then apply to foreign countries to gain a college degree but do not come to america. America is home to the upper white elites. The only space for colored is the military, that's right America is only looking to expand it's military by recruiting poor souls only to bomb poor countries. Do NOT enter the states, you will regret it.

Another thing you will be trapped here once you become a US citizen. In 2008, I believe you can not leave the states and become a resident or citizen somewhere else. Look into this.

Last edited by mark my words; 08-20-2011 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: type

Old 08-20-2011, 11:47 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark my words View Post
American education is going down the toilets. Sad if these people think they have a chance of becoming something better. Even if you busted your ass off and attain degrees/certificates you will be discriminated. Better off investing your education in guyana and living with your own to gain better self identity then arrive with a degree in the states.

I am warning all guyanese to expand their education in their native land then apply to foreign countries to gain a college degree but do not come to america. America is home to the upper white elites. The only space for colored is the military, that's right America is only looking to expand it's military by recruiting poor souls only to bomb poor countries. Do NOT enter the states, you will regret it.

Another thing you will be trapped here once you become a US citizen. In 2008, I believe you can not leave the states and become a resident or citizen somewhere else. Look into this.
Ha, I agree. A month and some change I was in Guyana for a good week. I visited the place because my parents are from there and they left Guyana for different reasons and became U.S. Citizens over time. In Guyana alot of people are brainwashed on what they think of America, many Guyanese still want to come to America and wait inline at the embassy extensively in the blasting South American heat not to far from the equator. Guyana is not that poor, some people live just as good or even better then people in America. Guyanese economy is booming and also Guyana benefits from neighboring Brazil which is an emerging global economic power. However much of the wealth is being controlled by a few and if your not into Cocaine, Gold and Brazil you can be easily at an economic disadvantage. Some of my relatives invested in Guyana and are staying no need to come to America. I even told some Guyanese to stay in Guyana and dont come to America because the situation here in the states is not promising. I even told folks down there I wanna leave NYC and move somewhere else. I told some Guyanese that the only job your gonna get in America for a Women is either Prostitution or being a Nanny for some UWS Jew or a newly rich Wasp Transplant. For the guys I told them its either hustling selling drugs or being a security guard for 9 bucks an hour. I dont want to see these Guyanese go down this route I have mentioned above. IF this country declines I'm definently moving to Guyana. The American dream is long gone so dont attempt no landing at JFK.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:58 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
A distinction needs to be made between Guyanese Indians and Guyanese Africans.
I'm not Guyanese myself but from the interactions I've had they're two markedly different cultures ( for obvious reasons) .

Old 08-20-2011, 01:24 PM

916 posts, read 2,245,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I'm not Guyanese myself but from the interactions I've had they're two markedly different cultures ( for obvious reasons) .
There was this beautiful Indian looking girl in one of my computer class,
and the guy who sit next to me was a dark skin looking black guy. After
we get to know each other half way to the semester, he start telling me
he had a crush on the Indian girl but too shy to tell her about it. He also
saids they are both from the same country. I was really confused at the
time when he told me that. I was wondering how are they from the same
country with one being Indian and one being Black or Dark skin Hispanic.
I was clueless about Guyanese Indians at the time.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
There was this beautiful Indian looking girl in one of my computer class,
and the guy who sit next to me was a dark skin looking black guy. After
we get to know each other half way to the semester, he start telling me
he had a crush on the Indian girl but too shy to tell her about it. He also
saids they are both from the same country. I was really confused at the
time when he told me that. I was wondering how are they from the same
country with one being Indian and one being Black or Dark skin Hispanic.
I was clueless about Guyanese Indians at the time.
LOL, I dont fit in with either for various reasons but both are cool with me, to some Guyanese they might consider me white or Latino. The black Guyanese are more open to dating other races and other new things compared to the Indians. I was with some Chinese chick and she asked me and some other Guyanese guy how come Im this color and your that color? Why I look like a Spanish and he looks Indian and dark. Me I'm actually a mulato with European and African features both sides of my family is also mulato and so are thier parents aswell. 100 years of mulato mixing I presume. most confuse me for a Puerto Rican or sometimes Dominican or Cuban. One time I visited Richmond Hill Queens some Coolie kid called me whitebai. I dont live around Black or Guyanese Indians, only know about Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Mexicans, and Black Americans I live around these types of people!

Old 08-21-2011, 06:30 PM

337 posts, read 968,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Yes, I had a class with a guyanese indian girl. She told me how most guyanese are black and that the men would do anything to be with her. She seemed to go out of her way to make the distinction clear. She would talk to me and another girl before class and was pleasant.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:18 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Here in Canada ive met many Guayanese, i ve had many Guayanese coworkers and form my expereince they have all been pretty cool. Pretty laid back compared to some other West indian people ive met(i know Guayana is in South America but they always seem to associate more with carribean folks). And out of all the time ive spent in NY ive made the same observation, my family lives in Queens, Neighbors are Guyanese, pretty cool people.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:17 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Some people come from the islands and reach a certain level of success or education and they start putting on airs, and they pass their bad attitudes and stankness to their kids. Ive run into a few people like this over the course of my life. Walking around like royalty. Like their sh*t dont stink like every one else. Its not something unique to Guyana, although I have met quite a few like that espcially amongst those of Indian descent from Trinidad and Guyana.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Some people come from the islands and reach a certain level of success or education and they start putting on airs, and they pass their bad attitudes and stankness to their kids. Ive run into a few people like this over the course of my life. Walking around like royalty. Like their sh*t dont stink like every one else. Its not something unique to Guyana, although I have met quite a few like that espcially amongst those of Indian descent from Trinidad and Guyana.
A kind of agree with this, lots of Guyanese immigrants have that use against them mentality and that they are better or superior then to others, I laugh at this sometime. Yo one time I went to Liberty avenue to some Guyanese restuarant and the lady treated me, with disrespect, she was like what you want but with an attitude, what you need? She probably thought I was Rican or Dominican or something. In my family the women compete by saying which one of thier children is better then thier sisters childrenbecause of money, college, Jjobs, or who drives a nice car. This mentality I dont like about Guyanese especially the women. To some Guyanese that think like this, that they are better then others, I laugh im like hahaha, look at your skin, thats why Im lighter even thouogh I know that too does not make me any better, I use it to mock them. These are the reasons I dont hang around much Guyanese in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City