Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 11:14 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctovt View Post
Time to get flamed and be called a racist,I guess.Working in Manhattan more than 20 years ago in a company with many people of West Indian/Caribbean origin,I found several of my Guyanese co-workers to be among the most unapproachable,nastiest, and certainly racist people I came in contact with. Excuse me, you came here.All my Jamaican,Barbadian,St.Lucian,Haitian,Dominican etc. friends/co-workers were much friendlier,willing to share their dishes and their culture while the Guyanese acted elitest.Good luck getting that party/music turned down,it won't happen.

Guyanese in NYC come in two different and distinct Guyanese cultures. They are either Afro or Indo Guyanese so you definitely cannot treat Guyanese with one broad stroke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 11:39 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Bronxguyanese is some one who was born in the USA, but often argues with people born in Guyana about what Guyanese are. Guyana has a culture which is related to that of other parts of the Caribbean, but definitely has its unique features.

Will he argue that the USA doesn't have a culture because its culture is drawn from immigrant roots.
Guyana is a diverse country, not as diverse as America, but very diverse and a very odd country. Regionally Guyana is tied to South America, culturally it is some what akin to the British Caribbean, most notably amongst Indo Guyanese who share culturally similarities with Indo Caribbean. And Afro Guyanese as well. Guyana also has plenty of native Amerindians kind like how America has Native Americans. Their are also Chinese in Guyana which have a big impact on cuisine. Also plenty of Brazilians in Guyana which bring their own cultural flare to the mix. Can Brazilian Samba mix with Trinidadian Soca or Chutney on the streets of Guyana? You tell me CaribNY? But yeah the place is strange.

Russel Peters - Guyanese People W.I or South American Pick One - YouTube

Rupununi Rodeo Lethem Guyana 2006 - YouTube

[HD] Guyana Mashramani 2014 - Pulse Party Trucks - YouTube

Old 09-12-2014, 12:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
WOrd no doubt, put me on that, Im looking for a half Guyanese half Rican chick or half Guyanese or half Dominican. But yeah some indo Guyanese girls tend to be shy, but give them a couple of shots of rum they will loosen up a bit.
Get a Rican or Dominican pregnant and you can have a half Rican/half Guyanese or a half Dominican/half Guyanese chick. She'll be your daughter.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:05 AM

302 posts, read 308,265 times
Quote:
Yo no lie, I wish I can help you with that answer. I dont associate with Trinidadians why because I dont know any or very little espeically Indian ones. As for Guyanese being hostile to others is nothign new and a common occurance. As for Guyanese Indians dating thier own kind, I dont know. Some times they are hostile or even shy to others. I Knew one Guyanese chick from Bronx Community College she was cute, and I wanted to date her, I had feelings for her but she did not want to take it beyond friendship. I asked her out and she was like nah. She was not cute or ugly, not fat not slim, something about her that I liked. She liked the fact that I was more Puerto Rican then I was Guyanese. Damn I wanna know where this girl is. IF you go to Castle Hill section of the Bronx you can find many half Indo Guynaese and half Puerto Rican, also on Grand Concourse some half indo Guynaese and half Dominican, I met a few. Oh yeah I also visited Guynana a month ago, many women of all races there are stuck up like New York women. I really cant explain why. I know more about Ricans and Dominicans then I do about my own people
Alright as someone who has indian family and has a considerable amount of Indian ancestry I can attests that Indo-Guyanese are embracing to Afro-Guyanese. In my different line of works I have had Indo-Guyanese choose to be me customers because of my background .And from experience shopping and doing business with certain outlets I have been bestowed favors from Indo-Guyanese just because of my background.

I have family Indian family and they always treat me as one of them. And even before,I mention my background some Indo-Guyanese are very kind. In places like Queens I see them hanging with some Aframs, other West Indians,and Dominicans. So no Indo Guyanese are not racist to blacks , if they are they may keep that to themselves.

Quote:
Guyanese in NYC come in two different and distinct Guyanese cultures. They are either Afro or Indo Guyanese so you definitely cannot treat Guyanese with one broad stroke.
If you say Afro-Guyanese are that different that Indo-Guyanese then so are Afro-Trinidadians to Indo-Trinidadians. In fact Indo-Trinidadians live in different neighborhoods as Afro-Trinidadians in Brooklyn, in fact many of Indo-Trinis live along side Indo-Guyanese in Queens neighborhoods like Richmond Hill,South Ozone,and Ozone Park.

Indo-Trinis and Indo-Guyanese see themself as more akin to each other. But IndoTrinidians do like to view themselves as the same . Indo-Guyanese and Afro-Guyanese have connections with each other too and see themselves the same too.Just because the blacks they have different racial backgrounds and indeed different customs doesn't mean they don't share similarities.
Indian GTs and Black Guyanese and are very friendly in each others company.

Quote:
Bronxguyanese is some one who was born in the USA, but often argues with people born in Guyana about what Guyanese are. Guyana has a culture which is related to that of other parts of the Caribbean, but definitely has its unique features.

Will he argue that the USA doesn't have a culture because its culture is drawn from immigrant roots.
Guyana has a lot of culture but due to many negligent practices of the Burnham and Hoyte PNC regime of the 70s and 80s ,many of the country's wasn't preserved or nurtured. But local customs are still there. Just as local religious practices.

Quote:
Guyana is a diverse country, not as diverse as America, but very diverse and a very odd country. Regionally Guyana is tied to South America, culturally it is some what akin to the British Caribbean, most notably amongst Indo Guyanese who share culturally similarities with Indo Caribbean. And Afro Guyanese as well. Guyana also has plenty of native Amerindians kind like how America has Native Americans. Their are also Chinese in Guyana which have a big impact on cuisine. Also plenty of Brazilians in Guyana which bring their own cultural flare to the mix. Can Brazilian Samba mix with Trinidadian Soca or Chutney on the streets of Guyana? You tell me CaribNY? But yeah the place is strange.

Russel Peters - Guyanese People W.I or South American Pick One - YouTube

Rupununi Rodeo Lethem Guyana 2006 - YouTube

[HD] Guyana Mashramani 2014 - Pulse Party Trucks - YouTube

Why do you keep saying Trinidadian Soca as if that's all they play in Guyana, soca from all different regions are played ringbang soca(Which was started by a GT Eddy Grant),Groovy Soca, and Ragga soca are played. If you're implying that Soca itself is totally a Trinidadian inventiion some people scholars on Caribbean would disagree its a Trinidadian invention. Guyana has had its fair of musicians that contributed to the development of Caribbean music. Reggaetone was helped to be spawned by a Guyanese DJ.

Last edited by PrizeWinner; 09-12-2014 at 01:29 AM..

Old 09-12-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prizewinner View Post

why do you keep saying trinidadian soca as if that's all they play in guyana?soca from all different regions are played ringbang soca(which was started by a gt eddy grant),groovy soca, and ragga soca are played. If you're implying that soca itself is totally a trinidadian invention some local musical scholars on caribbean genres would disagree its a trinidadian invention. Guyana has had its fair share of musicians that contributed to the development of caribbean music. A guyanese dj helped spawn reggaetone.
fixed

Old 09-12-2014, 09:55 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
Alright as someone who has indian family and has a considerable amount of Indian ancestry I can attests that Indo-Guyanese are embracing to Afro-Guyanese. In my different line of works I have had Indo-Guyanese choose to be me customers because of my background .And from experience shopping and doing business with certain outlets I have been bestowed favors from Indo-Guyanese just because of my background.

I have family Indian family and they always treat me as one of them. And even before,I mention my background some Indo-Guyanese are very kind. In places like Queens I see them hanging with some Aframs, other West Indians,and Dominicans. So no Indo Guyanese are not racist to blacks , if they are they may keep that to themselves.

If you say Afro-Guyanese are that different that Indo-Guyanese then so are Afro-Trinidadians to Indo-Trinidadians. In fact Indo-Trinidadians live in different neighborhoods as Afro-Trinidadians in Brooklyn, in fact many of Indo-Trinis live along side Indo-Guyanese in Queens neighborhoods like Richmond Hill,South Ozone,and Ozone Park.

Indo-Trinis and Indo-Guyanese see themself as more akin to each other. But IndoTrinidians do like to view themselves as the same . Indo-Guyanese and Afro-Guyanese have connections with each other too and see themselves the same too.Just because the blacks they have different racial backgrounds and indeed different customs doesn't mean they don't share similarities.
Indian GTs and Black Guyanese and are very friendly in each others company.

Guyana has a lot of culture but due to many negligent practices of the Burnham and Hoyte PNC regime of the 70s and 80s ,many of the country's wasn't preserved or nurtured. But local customs are still there. Just as local religious practices.

Why do you keep saying Trinidadian Soca as if that's all they play in Guyana, soca from all different regions are played ringbang soca(Which was started by a GT Eddy Grant),Groovy Soca, and Ragga soca are played. If you're implying that Soca itself is totally a Trinidadian inventiion some people scholars on Caribbean would disagree its a Trinidadian invention. Guyana has had its fair of musicians that contributed to the development of Caribbean music. Reggaetone was helped to be spawned by a Guyanese DJ.
To me and others alike. Soca, chutney and calypso are all Trinidadian musical inventions that were imported to Guyana over time. Don't get me wrong importation of music is good and helps shape or reshape rhythms and beats. Guyana is a strange place when it comes to music. All sorts of music styles is played there but it's primarily American music like hip hop, Jamaican music like dance hall and reggae , Trinidadian music, from Hispanic Caribbean Reggeaton is slowly becoming popular down there too. Country side with Brazilian sounds such as Samba. Asian Indians also play bollywood tunes along with chutney which is an Indian version of Calypso. When I was last there I heard all musical styles I have mentioned from the streets, shanty towns to even night clubs.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
To me and others alike. Soca, chutney and calypso are all Trinidadian musical inventions that were imported to Guyana over time. Don't get me wrong importation of music is good and helps shape or reshape rhythms and beats. Guyana is a strange place when it comes to music. All sorts of music styles is played there but it's primarily American music like hip hop, Jamaican music like dance hall and reggae , Trinidadian music, from Hispanic Caribbean Reggeaton is slowly becoming popular down there too. Country side with Brazilian sounds such as Samba. Asian Indians also play bollywood tunes along with chutney which is an Indian version of Calypso. When I was last there I heard all musical styles I have mentioned from the streets, shanty towns to even night clubs.
Dude you have to do your research to know what you are talking about.Chutney isn't a Trinidadian invention at all (not even Trinis claim this). Soca is debated its place of origin( some places like Dominica,Guyana,and other West Indian countries have fervently professing their claim to this music genre).

Soca is not just made in Trinidad nor is it dominated by Trinidadians,its played on other islands this is why many other islanders compete in their Soca Monarch in TnT. So to be blunt. no Soca is not Trinidadian music,even if one even believes Soca originated in Trinidad.

American hip hop being played prominent in Guyana ,not so much. There more into Dancehall and its big time there.,Reggae,Soca,Salsa,Samba,Reggaetone and others.Guyana has always been playing Brazilin music lowkey.Like I said Reggaetones first record or Reggae En Espanol was produces by a Guyanese.

Chutney no longer has strong indian elements to it, its pretty much very Caribbeanized.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Indo-Guyanese and Afro-Guyanese have connections with each other too and see themselves the same too.

If you really believe that nonsense you must be born here. Indian and African Guyanese are a very DIVIDED people. While there is some level of friction in Trinidad there is much less tension. If you didnt have Indian family the treatment that you would receive would be different. Afro Guyanese in NYC are way more socially integrated into the other black Caribbean communities than with Indo Guyanese, and share much more culturally as well.

Both African and Indian Guyanese harbor suspicions of each other, and that is easily seen in where we live in NYC. You will almost never see a social event which is 50:50 between the two groups.

The fact that you might have some Indian family applies to you. The vast majority of Indian and AFrican Guyanese do not have family in common. And indeed many Africans feel that today's PPP is just as hostile towards them as the PPP was towards Indians under Burnham.

Antigua, St Kitts, Dominica, and Grenada have soca which sounds distinct and unique. When I hear Dutchin he can either be Trini or Bajan, depending on which song you refer to. What the islands with unique forms of soca have in common is that they are carnival islands. If not the Lenten carnival then Xmas carnival (Barbados always had Crop Over and Antigua switched their Xmas carnival to August to drum up tourism in what used to be a dead period).

Guyana has Mash, which wouldnt exist if Burnham didnt start it. Our Xmas carnival died out in the early 60s. There was some attempt to develop a unique Guyanese sound, but it didnt pick up because Guyanese like foreign music, Trinidad, Barbados, Jamaica, and the USA, and Bollywood for those who care for it.

Last edited by caribny; 09-12-2014 at 02:50 PM..

Old 09-12-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Dude you have to do your research to know what you are talking about.Chutney isn't a Trinidadian invention at all (not even Trinis claim this). Soca is debated its place of origin( some places like Dominica,Guyana,and other West Indian countries have fervently professing their claim to this music genre).

Dominica will NEVER claim soca as they are a power house of their own music. They might claim zouk. Cadence and bouyon is Dominica music.

I wonder where Guyana can lay a claim to soca. Eddy Grant might have started ringbang in a Bajan environment but that is Bajan music. Given that Eddy Grant began his music career in the UK you might as well call ring bang British as Guyanese.

Guyana has folk traditions, kwe kwe being powerful, and then there are the chutney traditions (chutney SOCA is Trini, not chutney, you are right on that one) as well as the masquerade. But it was Trinis who developed a pop form of chutney, so have snatched it away. Guyanese didnt develop anything from its folk base. They copy Trinis and Bajans.

Go to any carnival in the Eastern Caribbean and the bulk of the music played will be local songs. Mash has mainly Bajan, and Trini soca, and usually recordings of artists from there as well.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:56 PM

300 posts, read 374,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi1004 View Post
I am a cuban american. There is an indo guyanese man (federal police officer, NYC ) at work I would date if we were both available. He is attractive, I love his tanned skin, he is very nice and friendly, and seems like a teddy bear. He is a very attractive man in every respect. Since I am cuban I never see a chance with him but admire him from afar.
I don't understand why your nationality would "prohibit" you from dating him? It's not as if Cubans don't mix, though I will admit that the Cubans I've seen that have "mixed" have done so with a white (non-Hispanic) person. I guess I'm trying to understand if you wouldn't date him because you're taken or simply because you don't think that you can mix with someone who isn't Cuban/Cuban-American?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City