Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 03:48 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
Populations have always went back and forth from Guyana to Barbados. I am not sure if there is strong Bajan population in Panama but there is a Jamaican popultion there and that's why so many Caribbean Panamanians trace their roots there.

Black Pudding is not the same as Blood Sausage, and if it was brought by Bajan Irish and Scots it would be from Ireland and Scotland.
Well plenty of Guyanese are moving back to Barbados but it's causing a problem Barbadian Authorities. Yes it is originally black pudding comes from British aisles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 08:11 AM

302 posts, read 308,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Well plenty of Guyanese are moving back to Barbados but it's causing a problem Barbadian Authorities. Yes it is originally black pudding comes from British aisles.
I think it's the opposite,many Guyanese are moving back from Barbados due to circumstances.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:49 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Very informative thread

Old 09-14-2014, 09:22 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Plenty of Barbadians moved to Guyana and intermarried with the Afro Guyanese population during the late 19th and early 20th century. Come to think of it plenty of African Americans even have Barbadian origins since Barbados was once a British slave depot, and slaves from Barbados where purchased and shipped to the British North American Colonies. Even Panama has a significant population of Barbadians since many helped build the Panama Canal. Barbados had a big impact on Guyana especially with its culinary such as blood sausage which originally brought to Barbados by Irish and Scottish migrants and Sause.
These African Americans have no ties to Barbados as this was so distant the vast majority of them cannot name a single Caribbean ancestor. Obviously there's a shared ancestry (brought over from Africa and other racial groups were mixed in), but it's not like people can go to the Caribbean to look up relatives or anything.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:42 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolgre View Post
While I didn't mean to offend (were you the noisy neighbor that caused us so much misery?), your attitude just solidifies what I said in my original posting.
Are you West Indian or American? Where do your loyalties lie? Are you trying to assimiliate into American culture?
You are sick. What is "American culture," particularly in a diverse, multi-ethnic city like NY? Granted, your neighbors seem to be rude, but it has nothing to do with them being "immigrants." The problem I have with your question is that it is one that you never hear people ask Irish Americans celebrating St. Patrick's Day, or Italian Americans celebrating Columbus Day. And, to be honest, why should it be asked? We live in a melting pot, and people are free to maintain aspects of their culture and still be just as American as anyone else. You have a very anti-immigrant/anything different perspective.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:41 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Indian and black mixtures were frowned on by Indians until recently. Deny that if you wish but it is indeed a fact. The term "dougla" meaning bastard doesn't exactly convey acceptance does it.

Have you met a person from Tamil Nadu, India? They will make you re think what the meaning of black is. At some point, Indian ppl would frown if you married a different caste, religion, even state!

Old 09-14-2014, 07:39 PM

302 posts, read 308,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Have you met a person from Tamil Nadu, India? They will make you re think what the meaning of black is. At some point, Indian ppl would frown if you married a different caste, religion, even state!
That has nothing to do with Indians perceptions in the Caribbean and South America. Many Indians will also tell how different Indo-Caribbeans are to legit Indians from India.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:01 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
I didn't say legions, I said there were indeed English men living in Guyana. As well as Dutch ,Spanish and French men. You do know that Guyana is called The Land Of Six People?What are you harping on about?!

Only a small amount of teachers and policemen were black, most of those title belonged to English and Portuguese, .

Not going to read the rest of your ignorance but I need to correct people like oou who like to malign Afro Guyanese and scream tht we are to blame for all the wrongs of Guyana.

The BULK of the primary school teachers and the ordinary police men were BLACK in the 19th C. A BLACK MIDDLE CLASS began to emerge in the 19th c and these were their paths to upward mobility. In the early 20th century when ONLY MALES who owned property were allowed to vote FORTY % o

The upper echelons of the police force were English. The teachers at schools like Queens College were English. The top civil servants were English, the mid ranks mixed (red), and the lower ranks black.

Now carry on with your PPP propaganda. I am not reading it.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Hold on , you're going to tell me that that Passa Passa and Dancehall in Trinidad is Trinidadian own music, do they like it more?

Even according to you Soca is music started in Trini so do Bajans like music not of their own?

I never claimed Ring Bang is Guyanese,I said Guyanese artists helped fuse it but of course its Bajan.Guyana did not reject Eddy Grant you clown, since PNC wrecked Georgetown ,there was no proper recording studio so he went to the UK and then to Barbados, he still helps some up and coming Guyanese artists.

You tell lies, do your research SOCA was played all over the Caribbean and different artists from the West Indies got play all throughout the Caribbean.But you made a point about Reggae , most places in the WI were listening to Reggae. But remember Jamaican Mento was big in the Caribbean too, that kind of dissolved into Soca.

Does it matter, I am not the one saying Queh Queh has music your the one that is trying to say much of Guaynese culture comes from Queh Queh.

How is Cadence-lypso Trinidadian ,when when Ras Shorty himself asked from at least 3 Dominiquens different artists how to make a Cadence-lypso song? Its music of their own stop trying to harp on about made up lies. Don't make yourself look illiterate Cadence-lypso is from Dominica that's recorded in history.

If Cadence-lypso was influenced by Soca music, Ras Shorty wouldn't of asked for pointers from Dominican artists.

Zouk - Tracing the History of the Music to its Dominican Roots

You're having a hard time following me, I said Guyanese like the Mootoo Brothers were the first to fuse African and Indian instrument,rhythms, and chords into their music. Some of the top Calypso artists recordings were done by Mootoo brothers.You do understand that this is Ras Shorty's claim how Soca was started in Trinidad because it mixed Indian and African elements into their songs right?Well Guyanese artsist have long been doing it and they actually taught it to Trinidadian artists who would teach it to the forerunners of Soca.

The hell are you talking about the never were influenced by music from Guyana, I already told you even the term Jump Up Music was started by The Syncopaters. King Fighter was also very influential and so was Bill Rogers. Please stop being a self-hating person trying to negate out contributions to Caribbean music and musical accomplishments Guyanese have made.
OK its fine that you know nothing about Kwe kwe and so don't understand that many of the songs sung in the various stages of this ceremony have formed the bed rock of many Guyanese folk songs.

You are a little boy who conflates the fact that there are many varieties of soca in this era to attempt to negate the fact that the origins of soca are from Trinidad, an island with a rich musical tradition. Trinidad INSPIRED music from many islands. I see no evidence that prior to 1990 one can say that any other island, aside from Jamaica, similarly impacted Trinidad. Unless you refer to Cuba in the 40s and 50s.

In addition what is up to debate isn't that Eddy Grant played a key role in the development of ring bang. Its your claim that because he is a Guyanese, that ring bang has something to do with Guyana. He was living in Barbados, and was VERY INTEGRATED into the musical scene of that island, so clearly was very impacted and inspired by what he heard around him.

Ring bang was developed in 1994 and I was in Barbados. Why are you giving Guyana credit. You sound like some idiot who will claim that Guyanese masquerade is Scottish.

I am not getting into any argument over chutney, but any attempts that you have to imply that the Mootoo Brothers can be given credit for soca is as silly as many of your other comments.

Indeed I am sure that since Indians and Africans encountered each other musicians of both communities probably experimented, so who the first person to mix the two styles is nonsense. Even at school when we had nothing to do I used to drum African rhythms on a desk, and an Indian did the same with Indian rhythms and we realized that they actually did work together.

This is what happens when different music traditions encounter. The USA is a fine example of that as even country music isn't immune from black American influences, and obviously black American musicians drew much from many European styles. Similarly much of Spanish music has Arab origins, and Cuba music reflects a fusion of African and Spanish/French traditions.

Obviously you know nothing of cadence because if you did you would note that it is its own genre and clearly unconnected to soca. Cadence is ball room dancing. Soca is street dancing. Bouyon is Dominican street dancing. Bouyon has been around only for the last 20 years and occurred because Dominicans migrated to Antigua, St Kitts, the USVI and St Maarten and heard "jam band" music and so integrated it into cadence/zouk for street dancing purposes.

The roots of zouk is in cadence, and in compa, but I don't know what that has to do with the origin of soca. Cadence is a very different music, closer if anything to merengue than it is to soca.

Get over what ever animosity that you have with Trinidadians. Soca started in Trinidad and arises out of their culture. Others modified this music to suit their purposes to the point where their styles become associated with those islands.

Trinidad no longer represents the entirety of soca, and one can even argue that it is increasingly marginal to the genre, but the roots of soca are in Trinidad, just as are the roots of calypso, steel pan, and most of the carnival traditions that dominate carnivals of the English speaking Caribbean and its diaspora.

Last edited by caribny; 09-15-2014 at 09:39 PM..

Old 09-15-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
The hell are you talking about the never were influenced by music from Guyana, I already told you even the term Jump Up Music was started by The Syncopaters. King Fighter was also very influential and so was Bill Rogers. Please stop being a self-hating person trying to negate out contributions to Caribbean music and musical accomplishments Guyanese have made.

Nothing in that article shows any evidence that Guyana impacted Trinidad. The fact that you seize on the word "jump up" to claim that the term was imported from Guyana, when no evidence is presented is pathetic.

That is as sad as some Kittitian claiming that "jamming" comes from that6 island because they call their music "jam band".

You furnish endless proof that you were either born in the USA or came from Guyana as a child, and so have no way to put into context what you read.

Tell you what in the mid 70s I was in high school and going to parties. On any given night no more than 2 locally made records were played. The bulk of the Caribbean origin music came from Trinidad, with the rest from Jamaica.

I have already told you that Guyanese musicians were well regarded and in fact when Sparrow came to Guyana he used local musicians, who he even took with him on other trips. It is just that Guyanese musicians played TRINIDADIAN music very well, as they did other genres.

YOU need to stop being the self hating and pathetic person grabbing every body else's music as if it is Guyana. One day Guyana will develop it own genre of popular music, but that has NOT happened yet.

I mean claiming that reggaeton is Guyanese is seriously pathetic! Leave the Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and the Cubans alone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City