Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 07:06 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,563,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
What I told you is that a Guyanese person helped start Ring Bang Soca in Barbados and helped Jumpstart reggaetone, quote me where I said Reggaetone and Ring Bang Soca are Guyanese?

You are just a clown.

Who raised ring bang and reggaeton in this thread? Not I. Even now you want to claim soca as Guyanese. It isn't. It is started by Trinidadians and adapted by other Caribbean islands> Most other than Guyana, modifying it to suit their own heritages.

Even in little St Kitts you can go to their carnival and ALL the music you will hear isn't only local, but its in a style which is also typical of the Leeward and Virgin Islands.

This is a fact and you ought to examine why Guyana has been less successful in developing its own popular music genres even as it has a very rich folk music heritage. Don't blame Burnham as he died THIRTY years ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Guyana was 16.2% mixed race according to the records in 2002 ,country reports estimates had it 33% mixed race, the numbers are higher as we speak.

The reality is Blacks In Guyana are divided and that is due to Burnham ,Corbin and many PNC constituents.FACT.And its divided due to people like you because PNC and people like you alike will do anything for power.
If there is racial harmony in Guyana why should it matter if blacks are divided? Intra racial divisions only matter when that group faces competition with and hostility from another group, which in Guyana will only be Indians. Are you admitting that Guyana isn't this picture of inter ethnic harmony which you pretend?

In 1960 mixed people were around 10% of the population, the VAST MAJORITY of whom were of mixed African and European ancestry.

In 2002 17% of the population is mixed. The areas with the highest % of mixing are those with large Amerindian populations. Areas like Berbice have LOWER levels of mixed populations. This suggests to me that douglas aren't the dominant group among Guyanese of mixed ancestry as you claim.

And why is one of the charges against Burnham by many Indians that he promoted douglarization, if Indians didn't see something wrong with that?

You state "reports" say 33% are mixed? Which reports? And what then will be the African and Indian populations?

You need to continue to peddle YOUR lies that black people are losers who only entered the middle class when Burnham "unfairly" put them there. What a bundle of confusion you are in giving Burnham credit for uplifting black people, when many were ALREADY MIDDLE CLASS, Burnham HIMSELF being raised in a middle class home! Indeed many of the problems which blacks in Guyana face today come from his era.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:50 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,086,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
If there is racial harmony in Guyana why should it matter if blacks are divided? Intra racial divisions only matter when that group faces competition with and hostility from another group, which in Guyana will only be Indians. Are you admitting that Guyana isn't this picture of inter ethnic harmony which you pretend?

In 1960 mixed people were around 10% of the population, the VAST MAJORITY of whom were of mixed African and European ancestry.

In 2002 17% of the population is mixed. The areas with the highest % of mixing are those with large Amerindian populations. Areas like Berbice have LOWER levels of mixed populations. This suggests to me that douglas aren't the dominant group among Guyanese of mixed ancestry as you claim.

And why is one of the charges against Burnham by many Indians that he promoted douglarization, if Indians didn't see something wrong with that?

You state "reports" say 33% are mixed? Which reports? And what then will be the African and Indian populations?

You need to continue to peddle YOUR lies that black people are losers who only entered the middle class when Burnham "unfairly" put them there. What a bundle of confusion you are in giving Burnham credit for uplifting black people, when many were ALREADY MIDDLE CLASS, Burnham HIMSELF being raised in a middle class home! Indeed many of the problems which blacks in Guyana face today come from his era.
If I'm not mistaken. Burnham was probably the most powerful black man in the world at that time. He was a very devious figure and politician.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:55 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,086,923 times
Quote:
You are AMERICAN so cannot be taken as an example of what happens in Guyana. Or the cultural baggage which those raised in Guyana bring with them when they migrate to the USA.
I smell bologna. I'm fairly educated about Guyana and it's customs, cultures, traditions, politics, flora, flora fauna and geography. What does being American have to do with anything about my knowledge of a backwater pseudo Caribbean country in South America?

Old 10-04-2014, 02:02 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,551,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Indian Guyanese are more westernized than Indians from India. As for marrying outside their culture it depends. Most of my family and their off Springs do not marry within Guyanese. A first generation Guyanese may marry within the Guyanese sphere but 2nd generation would break off and marry outside their culture race. Even though not married, 95‰ of my cousins who are first generation Guyanese Americans fathered or birthed kids for either Hispanic, afro American or Anglo Caribbean men and women. Even me for example has yet to be with a Guyanese woman or A Guyanese American woman. I mainly do good with Latina or ethnic white women. Also in Guyana plenty of Guyanese marry and date outside their race groups. I wouldn't be hear if my ancestors did not intermix with one another. Most likely I would father Children for a woman of non guyanese heritage, same could also be said for marriage.

I disagree and agree. In terms of population, there are more East Indians in America than West Indians. Regarding westernization, its West Indians hands down due to proximity and exposure to other cultures. I know alot of GT folks who have married out, definitely 2nd/3rd generation. Same with East Indians. I go to family parties, weddings, etc.....and you can see a lot of people marrying out nowadays.

That's why I said, there is this stereotype of Indians not marrying out or some hidden racism but that ish is BS. I have quite a few family members including uncles who have married out.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:29 AM

302 posts, read 309,606 times
Quote:
Nah, plenty of Guyanese in NYC say that their country is located in the Caribbean and West Indies. Yo I showed this guy a map and he could not find it. I thought it was in the Caribbean the whole time and he is Guyanese.
Quote:
Who do you think Guyanese are more culturally alike. Trinidadians or Ecuadorians.

You need to really stop this South American nonsense. We are GEOGRAPHICALLY located in South America, but in every other regard we are CARIBBEAN.
The proper term would be West Indian,though.West Indies to the British and Spaniards meant anything in the Atlantic Ocean. It does not mean the Caribbean per se.

But the term Caribbean is a bit cumbersome since Caribbean doesn't describe a culture you have Spanish Caribbeans , you have French Caribbean culture(Gwada,Martinique,Haiti,to halfly Dominica and St Lucia) and you also have the Dutch Caribbean culture which is Curcao,Aruba,and Saba.

Suriname is an extension of Dutch Caribbean culture in South America and French Guiana is an extension of Franco-Caribbean culture in South America, Guyana would be an extension for Anglo-Caribbean culture.

Its nothing wrong with saying ''South American'' because Guyanese are South American. and even though most of South America is Latin, there is no uniform South American culture. Indeed even among those who are Latin in Southern Latin American countries like Argentina, Chile,and Uruguay. Share very different cultural customs to countries like Venezuela and Colombia who have a Caribbean culture and even call themselves the Caribbean Coast.

Quote:
Brazilian populations in Guyana and the Portuguese Guyanese population (the few left in Guyana) are quite distinct. How many Guyanese Portuguese below 80 even know Portuguese?

Indeed a Portuguese Guyanese historian claimed that Portuguese elites by the early 20th C had changed their affiliation from Portugal to the British colonial orientation to the point where they even sent their sons to boarding schools in the UK and Barbados. The more rank and file Portuguese being no different culturally from other Guyanese among whom they lived. The only Guyanese with the vaguest interest in their ancestral lands has been Indians.
I knew Portuguese Guyanese who actually did but that's neither her nor there, the point is there has been cultural exchanges between of Hispanic people with Guyanese in the interior of Guyana. Coincidently there are many Mestizo mixes that happened in the interior with Amerindians and they were called Boviandeers,some were Spanish and Porguguese too. You can't deny how Vacquero culture which is big in Mexico some how ends up in Guyana.

Also many black Guyanese share interest with their ancestral lands. This is why they have a African Beauty Queen contest, this is why you see some Afro-Guyanese wearing African garbs(especially Emancipation Day),and this is why the Igbo king made a trip to Guyana in the 60s to bestow his blessings.

Quote:
Many people exist who are of mixed Dominican and Haitian ancestry, but no one will claim that Haitians and Dominicans in the DR live in perfect harmony. Indeed even in the Middle East there are people who are part Israeli Jew and part Palestinian Arab.

So the fact that no more than 10% of Indians and Africans might marry each other isn't really proof of anything. Indeed a question asked of many non Caribbean people when they encounter Guyanese is the fact that there exists in NYC TWO DISTINCT communities which do not appear to have much to do with each other.

Are you suggesting that teachers aren't middle class? Or nurses? The fact that you don't know that the bulk of these jobs were performed by blacks by the late 19th century shows that you know NOTHING of Guyana!

Africans became upward mobile in DIFFERENT areas than the Indians in British Guiana. Upward mobility among blacks was tied to their greater access and interest in primary school education, which extended through what we would call junior high in the USA. Indians through land ownership. To claim that one was preferred over the other is nonsense. NEITHER were.

To the extent that any were favored, it would have been the British themselves, and to a lesser extent the Portuguese, Chinese and the coloreds. Both Africans and Indians fought to improve their lives and to claim that Africans didn't enter the middle class until 1966 is not only INACCURATE but also INSULTING!
Your lolligagging, because people like you are insecure about blackness and have their resources limited so you would like to paint the picture of Guyana the way you want to. Guyana mixed population is 16.2% in 2002 , by now its even larger because there has been more intermarrying and interloping with Indians.

You saying Africans having a distinct culture means nothing because if you go to Brazil the blacks would have their distinct customs but are still infused with the mainstream Brazilian culture. Now I'll tell you this East Indians in Guyana are even considered to be too black , because they have a very strong cultural affinities to West Indian. I've met many Indo-Guyanese who gave me props on labor day and many Indo GT and Afro GT couples(my cousins are an example of this too)),stop jaw jacking.

What I said that Guyanese Blacks did not have have a foothold in the Middle Class, even if some blacks may of been teachers or even police they were not Middle Class because the british undercut their salary.

Your musings are flawed because if you meet Amerindian Guyanese who are 10-15% of the population, many people would say they are a distinct Guyanese culture.

Quote:

I don't know if you know this but Guyana was an internally self governing colony under the PPP, so if blacks were at the bottom then you actually are blaming the PPP for that, because they had between 1956 and 1964 to resolve any issues caused by the British. The staffing of the gov't agencies was in the hands of the PPP in this period.

The PPP is just as guilty of ethnically based favoritism as Burnham was, and only a person like you who has animosity towards blacks will deny that fact. Clearly you believe like Roger Luncheon that no competent blacks exist when asked why so few of the leadership slots within the public corporations and commissions are occupied by blacks.

In 2016 elections will be held and I can assure you that fewer than 10% of the blacks will vote PPP and fewer than 10% of the Indians will vote PNC. Burnham died 30 years ago, which means that few Guyanese alive today know or care much about him.
Guyana was not self governing, this is why its Constitution was suspended in the early 60s, this is why the British still policed it. It would of been independent earlier if Burnham didn't stall it but he was too power hungry.

Just cause you staff certain institutions in the government doesn't mean you are in control, there were some Nationalized factories that were an example of this. Guyanese still voted to appoint a British Governor in the 60s, they still British taxes,and where still British citizens, you are lying and spewing propaganda.

You're not understanding that PPP was at least loyal to East Indians, Burnham and PNC has also murdered and brutalzied blacks this is why the WPA were very ardent criminals to them. Burnham is not looked in good favor with Africans or people in the African diaspora. This is why Forbes Burnham was renounced from getting the African esteemed Oliver Tamboo and Walter Rodney is talked about amongst pro-black conscious groups in Jamaica. Burnham was a menace to both Blacks and East Indians in Guyana.

Burnham killed many black staples and has threatened the lives of many black staples.Jagan never let loose terrorist groups in Guyana like Burnham did with the HOI. So please stop the misleading.

In 2016 many people will vote APNU because many people forgot about PNC,they're pretty much gone.

What PNC members like you are mad at that your time is gone and you guys want to blame it on racism.

Quote:
Who raised ring bang and reggaeton in this thread? Not I. Even now you want to claim soca as Guyanese. It isn't. It is started by Trinidadians and adapted by other Caribbean islands> Most other than Guyana, modifying it to suit their own heritages.

Even in little St Kitts you can go to their carnival and ALL the music you will hear isn't only local, but its in a style which is also typical of the Leeward and Virgin Islands.

This is a fact and you ought to examine why Guyana has been less successful in developing its own popular music genres even as it has a very rich folk music heritage. Don't blame Burnham as he died THIRTY years ago!

My problem is when Bajans,Vincies or Lucians make their own style of Soca GroovySoca,Ringbang,etc, do these islands get the title of making Trinidadian Soca music? NO!!!!

Did I say those genre are Guyanese now, I said they were helped to be birthed by Guyanese.

My point is Guyana has musical styles and religious customs that are even unknown that doesn't mean we don't have traiditonal music.

You simple minded self can do nothing but hypothesize and play sides.

What I am saying is that Trinidadians have not originate Soca like many people think, Trinidadians also want to claim they made Carnival which is untrue since it exists in other parts of the world and has long before TnT made theirs.

People like you would sell Guyana short of its cultural heritage because you think you are going to jock some elses culture.

The fact is there were masquarades around Christmas before Mash in the 60s and the fact is blacks did have cultural practices like Wata Mami but Burnham chose to neglect them and latch on to other bull****.

Last edited by PrizeWinner; 10-04-2014 at 11:33 AM..

Old 10-04-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Guyana launches Portuguese curriculum for secondary schools

www.google.com
Guyana on Thursday launched its first secondary school Portuguese curriculum as part of the country’s push to deepen relations with neighbouring Brazil.

“While language will never stop Guyana from enjoying good relations with anyone, surely our familiarity with the language of the people of Brazil will help us to bolster that friendship,” said Minister of Education, Priya Manickchand

The language would be taught initially at five high schools until Guyana’s teacher’s college could begin training Portuguese teachers. Brazil has been already asked to train, exchange or provide Portuguese teachers. The schools are Queen's College, Bishop's High School, St. Joseph's High School, St. Stanislaus College and St. Rose's High School.

She also announced that her country has approached the Barbados-headquartered Caribbean Examinations Council (CXC) to offer region-wide school-leaving examinations in Portuguese in another three years.
Quote:
Education Ministry launches training programme for teachers of Portuguese : – subject eventually to be taught in schools countrywide

Education Ministry launches training programme for teachers of Portuguese : – subject eventually to be taught in schools countrywide | Guyana Chronicle

UNDER the theme ‘Eliminating literacy, modernising education and strengthening tolerance’, the Ministry of Education has intensified efforts to have Portuguese taught in schools countrywide.
Education Minister, Priya Manickchand during her address to the gathering at the Theatre Guild Playhouse
Education Minister, Priya Manickchand during her address to the gathering at the Theatre Guild Playhouse
The aim is to further develop the capacity of modern languages teachers within the education system, as the Education Ministry launched the ‘Training for Teachers of Portuguese’ programme yesterday at theatre Guild.
Presenting an overview of the programme, Deputy Chief Education Officer (Development), Ms. Doodmattie Singh reminded the gathering of the pioneering work done by the ministry to establish Portuguese as a new modern language on the national curriculum when it initially launched the Portuguese curriculum last year in six schools.
She pointed out that an additional 15 schools will now offer Portuguese when the new school year begins in September 2014. The initial six schools that formed part of the initial launch of Portuguese in Guyana were Queen’s College, The Bishops’ High, Saint Stanislaus College, Saint Roses High, Saint Joseph High and North Georgetown Secondary.
The additional 15 schools earmarked to carry Portuguese in 2014 are as follows: In Georgetown – Brickdam Secondary, Christ Church Secondary and Central High; Region #3 – Zeeburg Secondary and West Demerara Secondary; Region #4 – Hope Secondary, Annandale Secondary, President’s College and Diamond Secondary; Region #5 – Rosignol Secondary and Bygeval Secondary; Region #8 – Mahdia Secondary; Region #9 – St Ignatius Secondary; and Region #10 – Mackenzie High.
Ms. Singh explained that this new “Training for Teachers of Portuguese” programme forms part of the teacher professional development programme and will facilitate training of teachers from the schools identified in the delivery of the Portuguese curriculum.

This is an example of Portuguese being taught in Guyana because of the increasing Brazilian presence there.

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken. Burnham was probably the most powerful black man in the world at that time. He was a very devious figure and politician.
You can't take what CaribNY says, he is an ex PNC member that could do nothing but latch on to others and uses race as smoke and mirrors.

Last edited by PrizeWinner; 10-04-2014 at 11:29 AM..

Old 10-07-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:

I had to address this and break it down more tenaciously because you are trying to play games.

Intraracial division does not always happen when a racial group faces competition from another group. Many people seek to divide themselves on a whole lot in a country. Intraracial division within a racial group can happen,when a certain amount of people with in a racial group have accumulate wealt and want to become elitist to separate themselves from the meager peasants. This is maybe one of many reasons,an example would be why people of Libya are the same race and same religion but because there rich class of people are from certain families so oligarchal order takes affect.

Burnham is a perfect example of this, and when he ascended power he locked out many blacks like those who were WPA affiliated ,many blacks who objected him, and even had a bauxite strike under his power.

What excuse for Burnham having control of the country and running all the businesses and industries into the ground. Stop with the lies,you´re a former PNC member who can do nothing but play a blame game.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:00 AM

[quote=PrizeWinner;36745759].

What I am saying is that Trinidadians have not originate Soca.[quote]

You can engage in all the vulgarity as you wish but soca is Trinidadian and you really ought to stop stealing the people's music. You are embarrassing yourself.

Dominica has its OWN musical tradition and indeed aggressively protects these traditions from being usurped by reggae and soca, as happened in St Lucia. Dominicans DO NOT CONSIDER SOCA to be theirs!

Other Caribbean nations have adapted soca to suit their own traditions, so soca today is no longer exclusively Trinidadian. But when last I check in 1975 soca was created in Trinidad when every one else was still doing old style calypso.

The rest is your PPP rant. So I will leave that alone. If you believe that those gang of thieves are good for Guyana then that is up to you.

I note that you have this need to accuse black Guyanese of being a bunch of losers who only created a middle class in 1966. You then have the nerve to accuse me of being insecure of being black.

No YOU are the one who is insecure of being black while you VOMIT on all the hard work that many of them did as they dragged themselves and then their children into the middle class, that process beginning in the 1860s, and then accelerating after WWII. They did so in the face of massive discrimination at the hands of the British. And they must continue to do so in 2014 as the PPP displays the same callous contempt for them as did the British 100 years ago.

Even people like Freddie Kissoon and others concede that the PPP is every bit as guilty of racism against Afro Guyanese, as was the PNC under Burnham against Indo Guyanese!

Guyana has a rich FOLK tradition, which never evolved into a popular musical tradition unique to Guyana. Why? People like you who insist in stealing other people's music and then claiming it as Guyanese.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
I had to address this and break it down more tenaciously because you are trying to play games.

Intraracial division does not always happen when a racial group faces competition from another group. game.
If there is racial harmony in Guyana, i.e., that blacks didn't perceive that an Indian dominated government wasn't a threat to them, then why would intra racial divisions matter?

Obviously blacks do consider Indians a threat, which is why there are concerns about the intra racial divisions. And which is why 90% of them will vote APNU. This despite the internal squabbles which are now taking place.

In societies where there is racial harmony race ceases to be a social construct of importance, and so if people, who are classified within this construct, don't cooperate with each other than it will not matter, as people will be judged as INDIVIDUALS. One's membership in a "race" or ethnic group will be irrelevant.

It is societies where there are inter racial competition for resources that there is a need for these groups to mobilize, the fear being that if one group has internal divisions, this weakens its ability to compete.

Also ask yourself why did many of the blacks in the WPA who were beaten up by Burnham now join with the PNC in parliament today, instead of forming an alliance with the PPP? I am referring to people like David Hinds, who was almost killed by Burnham. And was VERY active with the WPA in the late 70s/early 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City