Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 10,649 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm trying to figure out where in Brooklyn and the Bronx the Guyanese are located for a project.

I can't really find any other information elsewhere... I've only found that there are a lot of Guyanese in Flatbush, but that doesn't really cut it for my research...

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 11:11 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,650 times
In BK, there are tons of Guyanese in Bed Stuy, Crown Heights, ENY, Brownsville, East Flatbush, Canarsie etc. They're definitely not saturated in one particular area. As for the BX, I think the Williamsbridge/Wakefield area has a few but I'm not too familiar with that area so maybe someone can reply for that.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 10,649 times
Thank you so much! )

Old 08-11-2010, 01:08 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Try castle hill. Castle hill is home to the 2nd largest guyanese niegothood in the city. Hey there's even guyanese in mott haven.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:03 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,167 times
Does it have to be in the Bronx/Brooklyn? There's a decent sized community in Jamaica and Hollis, Queens.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:43 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoben View Post
Hi, I'm trying to figure out where in Brooklyn and the Bronx the Guyanese are located for a project.

I can't really find any other information elsewhere... I've only found that there are a lot of Guyanese in Flatbush, but that doesn't really cut it for my research...

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!
From what I know njnyckid pretty much hit it on the head. The North-east Bronx has some here and there, it's probably much easier though to do Brooklyn and Queens instead of Brooklyn & the Bronx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Does it have to be in the Bronx/Brooklyn? There's a decent sized community in Jamaica and Hollis, Queens.
How can you forget Ozone Park & Richmond Hill (aka Little Guyana)??

Old 08-11-2010, 05:27 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,401,167 times
guyanese people are plenty in brooklyn and scattered. the area in brooklyn with the highest concentration is east new york.

queens has the largest concentration of guyanese in nyc mainly in southeast queens and ozone park/richmond hill.

as for the bronx jamaicans make up the majority of the west indian diaspora but their is also a large guyanese population. its scattered all over the borough but the highest concentration would be wakefield.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Try castle hill. Castle hill is home to the 2nd largest guyanese niegothood in the city. Hey there's even guyanese in mott haven.
seriously? cause when i looked at the immigration percentages at the community data sight guyana wasnt all that high.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:29 PM

i wonder if my people the haitians are growing in the bronx because as for now we are rare their even though we dominate rockland county upstate lol.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:56 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
guyanese people are plenty in brooklyn and scattered. the area in brooklyn with the highest concentration is east new york.

queens has the largest concentration of guyanese in nyc mainly in southeast queens and ozone park/richmond hill.

as for the bronx jamaicans make up the majority of the west indian diaspora but their is also a large guyanese population. its scattered all over the borough but the highest concentration would be wakefield.

No no. Largest concentration of guyanese in the bronx is actually castle hill. Wakefield is predomiantly african american. Not much guyanese in wakefield these they all left to florida or somewhere else. There's a heavy concentration of guyanese on castle hill. A perfect example is j los child hood home which is now owned by guyanese. Guyanese are also scatterred through out the borough of the bronx. Many guyanese are around the grand concourse near morris hieghts and some guyanese live near williamsbridge and many other guyanese I met live near pelham parkway and also parkchester. I know a lot about guyanese people and where they live sometimes I try to avoid these guyanese areas. There's even guyanese in the south bronx but sometimes you can never tell if there guyanese or not. Queens richmond hill area has an heavy concentration of guyanese in america however many guyanese from queens are slowly starting to move the the bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City