Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:36 AM

4 posts, read 10,596 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone just a quick question for you.

I live in Hempstead and just got a job on 40th street in Manhattan. I'm looking to get my own apartment in either Bay Ridge or Woodlawn.

Which area would you suggest? Is Bay Ridge more suitable for 22 yr old m/f? The prices seem to be about the same for the most part and im assuming because of the distance to Manhattan but that really doesn't bother me. Just lookin for some input from people who are familiar with both areas and which ones they would suggest....Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 12:15 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,910,501 times
If your work is around midtown why not include some Queens neighborhoods to your list?

Sunnyside, Astoria, LIC and Rego Park (heck even Forest Hills & Kew Gardens during Rush hr) are closer to midtown than both of the neighborhood you mentioned.

Why are you excluding Queens exactly?
I'm curious.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:04 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,924,214 times
Bay Ridge is really nice, I think it's a decent neighborhood for a young couple, even though a sizable chunk of its population is elderly. It's safe, there's plenty of bars, and the parks are really nice.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 5,226 times
Bay Ridge is nice but the demographic doesn't allow for much of a night life if thats important to you. Take the time to visit each borough and your interested neighborhoods so you can narrow your search down to one borough. You will go crazy apt hunting across BK, Bronx, and Queens.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:29 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,795,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbroker View Post
Bay Ridge is nice but the demographic doesn't allow for much of a night life if thats important to you.
I live in Bay Ridge and it depends how you define nightlife. If you're looking for Manhattan type clubbing, not much. If you're looking for old school bars with lots of NYC natives where you can shoot some pool and get in to a brawl every now and then, we have plenty of that.

Still, I think the OP would be better off in many Queens locations.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 PM

All of the neighborhoods in queens are too expensive for me. Astoria sunnyside woodside ive looked at and most interested in but even for a studio your talking $1200 or so where in bx /Bk you can get a nice size 1br...now I'm not picky. Buy I wanna get the best bang for my buck...I would love sunnyside/woodside if someone could reveal where the cheap sots are lol

Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 AM

???

Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,151,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West10th View Post
All of the neighborhoods in queens are too expensive for me. Astoria sunnyside woodside ive looked at and most interested in but even for a studio your talking $1200 or so where in bx /Bk you can get a nice size 1br...now I'm not picky. Buy I wanna get the best bang for my buck...I would love sunnyside/woodside if someone could reveal where the cheap sots are lol
I always thought Woodside/Sunnyside would be comparable in rent price to Bay Ridge. Are studios in Bay Ridge much less than $1200? I would have assumed that was the going rate there as well.

From what I have seen in Queens, any neighborhoods where the transportation into the city is good on the subway and the neighborhood is decent or good (LIC, Astoria, Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights, Rego Park, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens) the studios will run $1200 and up.

If you're looking for cheaper rents, I agree that Bronx is the place to go. Most of what I know about the Bronx is from reading this board. There are numerous threads about the good Bronx neighborhoods that have good transportation to midtown. I know that Pelham Parkway has been discussed quite a bit, so if you search for Pelham Parkway you will probably find the threads that discuss the other good, accessible neighborhoods as well.

Edit: Maybe Briarwood--the areas near the E/F trains-- would be cheaper than the other Queens neighborhoods I listed above. I don't know much about the area, but I have heard it runs cheaper than the others nearby.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:40 AM

you can get a 1 br in bay ridge for 1100$!! I figured sunnyside/woodside would be affordable too but with the quick 7 to Manhattan I can see why prices have sky rocketed.

Im just more so interested in the differences between the 2 neighborhoods. Would two 20 somethings have a better living experience in bay ridge or woodlawn?

And im not really looking for a political answer about race or anything like that please!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:42 PM

127 posts, read 236,436 times
Woodlawn for obvious reasons!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City