Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:03 AM

49 posts, read 90,260 times

Advertisements

Thanks everybody for the stories. I'm sorry for those who lost friends and coworkers :-( RIP towers and people who perished in the attacks that day. (Not just in the towers, but all the victims).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 09:48 PM

86 posts, read 306,730 times
You people can be so shallow. To me the World Trade Center Twin Towers won in an engineering scale. To put two buildings that were as big as they were took such a long time. It took 6 years to build the Twin Towers along with the surrounding buildings. One of the hardest things the Twin Towers engineers had to deal with was the wind load on the building. They actually had to put mass dampers on the top (Hat truss) to keep the building's sway tolerable along with many other things that include the digging, and having to keep the Hudson River out, they had to test new ideas that were never tested.

In fact the Twin Towers construction methods lead to the beginning of modern skyscraper engineering. In a building like the Empire State Building the columns are located in a grid pattern, but this grid pattern takes away valuable floor space. So the engineers created a core, and wall method that were linked together by the floors. The World Trade Center won in almost every way including how the buildings themselves were built. The people just everything was at a massive scale.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:28 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default are you familiar with those 3 skyscrapers on the west side of Ave of The Americas

1211, 1221 and 1251 6th Avenue, those look like mini versions of the WTC. are they made from the same materials or is the design the same? I think those opened in 1973 when the WTC did

in fact one of them might be where Fox 5 news is (used to be Celanese Tower, McGraw Hill Bldg and Exxon, I don't know if they changed names)

Old 09-21-2011, 09:43 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
1211, 1221 and 1251 6th Avenue, those look like mini versions of the WTC. are they made from the same materials or is the design the same? I think those opened in 1973 when the WTC did

in fact one of them might be where Fox 5 news is (used to be Celanese Tower, McGraw Hill Bldg and Exxon, I don't know if they changed names)
ARCO Plaza in Downtown LA looks like it was inspired by the WTC design. I think they were built around the same time.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:33 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
I did my college internship in 2 World Trade Center, 57th floor. The interior was just basic in a sleek way. It lacked the classic grandeur of the Empire State or Chrysler Buildings.

But it was impressive in its own way. The views were of course incredible. I remember how the building would move slightly depending on the wind.

I always thought they looked cool at the southern end of Manhattan. The classic Empire State to the north and the swaggering WTC to the south. The fact that their were two seemed a metaphor of New York/American self-confidence.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:29 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
They were ugly buildings.

The new complex looks far better.
The twin towers -
outside, and most of the inside, looked cold and sterile to me. Inhospitable. Dwarfing the people to grey 'everymen' - interchangeable pieces. Sort of symbolic of the role of mega corporations in the government.
I am sickened by what happened, but if I had to pick two buildings . . .

Old 09-22-2011, 10:18 PM

143 posts, read 298,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I did my college internship in 2 World Trade Center, 57th floor. The interior was just basic in a sleek way. It lacked the classic grandeur of the Empire State or Chrysler Buildings.

But it was impressive in its own way. The views were of course incredible. I remember how the building would move slightly depending on the wind.

I always thought they looked cool at the southern end of Manhattan. The classic Empire State to the north and the swaggering WTC to the south. The fact that their were two seemed a metaphor of New York/American self-confidence.
You said it. I miss those Towers.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 AM

72 posts, read 213,832 times
These are great pictures. I remember the lobby would hold art exhibits. I saw a photography exhibit in 2000.

I remember the mall in the basement being busy, I think it was connected to the transit hub. I used to go there between classes in the winter. When it was warm I would lay on the benches outside looking up at the buildings. It sounds silly but was very relaxing.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYorker4now View Post
These are great pictures. I remember the lobby would hold art exhibits. I saw a photography exhibit in 2000.

I remember the mall in the basement being busy, I think it was connected to the transit hub. I used to go there between classes in the winter. When it was warm I would lay on the benches outside looking up at the buildings. It sounds silly but was very relaxing.
Doesnt sound silly. Sounds fun

Old 09-26-2011, 12:32 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
I worked at the WTC temporarily at a insurance company. I quit the job. This is when I learned about it being tops on the list of NY places to hit. It was an open plan everything looked old including paint color. I don't remember the floor or even the name of the insurance company.
Could you be referring to F.J. Wilkes Insurance Company on the 102nd floor? My sister worked there in the late 1970s/early 1980s. I took her place when she went on vacation for two weeks at the end of August 1981. I was a teenager at the time and was paid a whopping $4/hour. I remember getting paid and spending my entire paycheck buying clothes in the lobby shops. The view was spectacular. It's strange to think that was one of the deadliest floors on 9/11. I believe the company relocated to New Jersey around 1987.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City