Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:57 AM

86 posts, read 306,784 times

Advertisements

The open air observation deck on the South Tower.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 10:11 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times
So beautiful!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:05 AM

528 posts, read 1,185,198 times
i like how you're so high up, but there's still another building the same height, right next to you....I wish there were 2 freedom towers going up

and i wish they looked exactly like the originals.....except maybe slightly modernized

Old 09-12-2011, 11:37 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
i like how you're so high up, but there's still another building the same height, right next to you....I wish there were 2 freedom towers going up

and i wish they looked exactly like the originals.....except maybe slightly modernized
I wish the same, but I guess it would be kind of creepy to have the towers back as they were.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:44 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
I remember standing in the lobby listening to the constant bong bong of the elevator doors opening.

Majestic is a word that comes to mind when standing in the lobby.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:50 AM

357 posts, read 727,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
OMG, I'm the same way! I took my last pictures of them a week before just so I would have them. I took them from the Jersey City side, my home, right where the light rail line was being built. It was deserted at the time with all the construction but I snuck over there to get the great straight on view! That cluster of buildings is where the towers used to be. Over to the right is the harbor and Liberty Square Park where they brought the victims.
Essex Street, Jersey City, NJ - Google Maps

There was a little mall and a big newstand before you got to the PATH train. There were elevators that went up and up. I remember my first visit at 10 years old and we thought our ears were going to explode going up but the view was soooooooo worth it. Windows on the World was a beautiful restaurant with impossibly beautiful views of the city.

My favorite thing was to go at rush hour and watch the suits scramble for their trains down this insanely long stretch of escalators. Some movies have shot there because they were so long and dramatic. I think I can find an old Lil' Kim video with her in the hall and on the long stairs. Forgive the roughness!

Lil Kim (feat. Puff Daddy) - No Time (Video) Explicit (1996) - YouTube
I didn't know that's where that was. Interesting.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:43 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I remember standing in the lobby listening to the constant bong bong of the elevator doors opening.

Majestic is a word that comes to mind when standing in the lobby.
It was beautiful but it was a pain in the neck getting around in there. I tend to get to work exactly on time and it took forever to get up there. Between security and changing elevators it took a long time.

I'm sad that I never got to be outside on the observation deck (always too windy). These pictures are great to see. I really miss the concourse.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:20 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
It was beautiful but it was a pain in the neck getting around in there. I tend to get to work exactly on time and it took forever to get up there. Between security and changing elevators it took a long time.

I'm sad that I never got to be outside on the observation deck (always too windy). These pictures are great to see. I really miss the concourse.
Me too...used to live in J. Crew, the Gap, Express, Strawberry. Loved it there.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:04 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,865 times
Nice pics Roadcrusier. I was on the observation deck a couple of times with my parents. It was a really nice building.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,247 times
Beautiful pics. I saw the towers for the first time from afar when my family moved to NJ...from the Newark airport monorail a man pointed out the NYC skyline to me and there they were. I saw them up close on my way to see the Statue of Liberty, I believe in the summer of 2000. We have a picture of my dad posing on the boat with Lower Manhattan in the background. We thought we'd have all the time in the world to go and visit the WTC. Wish I could have gone inside, or even to the plaza.
I always admired the old skyline, so much that sometimes I feel terrible for thinking more about the buildings than those who died in and around them (perhaps because I don't know anyone who died...but still I feel bad). It was so uniquely and obviously New York City. There was no mistaking the two towers at the bottom of the island. Like Manhattan was making a peace sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City