Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:42 AM

166 posts, read 443,726 times

Advertisements

I worked at the flagship Borders at 5WTC from 96-2000..lots of great memories of the towers, the concourse, the surrounding neighborhood. Ate lunch everyday at the Stage Door Deli across the street. On my first recent visit to Ground Zero (very emotional- reasonably so), I see it's still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 12:57 PM

86 posts, read 306,747 times
Here's an image that will show you the reason why I liked the original World Trade Center.

This one shows the facade in detail.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:45 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,981 times
I loved the towers and really miss them almost as much as the people I lost. The skyline will never seem 'right' again.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:44 PM

143 posts, read 298,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
They were designed by Minoru Yamasaki, not I.M. Pei.

Many people will still admit they dislike the towers' design.
I think individually they were boring and oppressive but as time went on the skyline grew nicely around them. They were beautiful because NYC surrounded them.
The Twin Towers looked like two gigantic kleenex tissue boxes standing up on end. They looked stupid big with no real beauty but over the years, they grew on you. Or at least on me & had it's own odd, quirky appeal. And the NY skyline looks so absent without them.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:29 PM

86 posts, read 306,747 times
The Twin Towers always had this presence. They had this giant presence that told everyone that could see them that it was there. They were anchors. Not pretty to look at sure, but they were big, and proud.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:20 PM

88,516 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilSkies View Post
The Twin Towers looked like two gigantic kleenex tissue boxes standing up on end. They looked stupid big with no real beauty but over the years, they grew on you. Or at least on me & had it's own odd, quirky appeal. And the NY skyline looks so absent without them.
We sometimes used to say milk cartons, or the boxes that the Chrysler Building and the ESB came in.

The real beauty in the WTC was in the way they reflected the sunlight. At different hours of the day, they would appear to be gold or orange or pink.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkeystatus View Post
I worked at the flagship Borders at 5WTC from 96-2000..lots of great memories of the towers, the concourse, the surrounding neighborhood. Ate lunch everyday at the Stage Door Deli across the street. On my first recent visit to Ground Zero (very emotional- reasonably so), I see it's still there.
I used to eat at Stage Door Deli a lot, too. I remember when they opened.

Yep, it's still there. When I've had to go down to the WTC area, I've stopped in there sometimes.

Also like Essex Deli on Liberty.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Here's an image that will show you the reason why I liked the original World Trade Center.

This one shows the facade in detail.
Couldn't rep you again but THANKS.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:03 PM

224 posts, read 347,475 times
They were ugly buildings.

The new complex looks far better.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:22 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
The outide of those buildings wa remarkable in a total context, but they were not pretty either inside nor out.

The lobbies were plain and sparse, info desk; security desk; flower cart, etc. There was carpeting on the floors which wore quickly. The core of these lobbies was elevators...lots of them.

I worked for many years on 104 of 2 WTC. We took a high speed freight car to 79, and then changed to a bank which serviced ten floors or so, including 104. It was a scary ride up, banging from side to side a the car 'flew' up those 79 floors.

Working up there was weird. You didn't go out becaue it took so long to get down, do your errands, and then get back up. Looing out from 104 many days you couldn't tell what the weather was like down on the ground. There might be clouds in the way. When it was windy the towers swayed. The water in the toilets sloshed back and forth. It just never felt 'natural'.

My floor was wired for a securities firm, so we had lots of technology. Cell phones were around, and worked okay if you were not 'inside' the core of the building. We had all sorts of computers...with, yes, alot of CRT's. That was the way it was, and we had thousands of them, so you didn't just 'buy all new' because of them being outdated. They worked.

I sat with my back to the south windows. They were tall, and narrow. The view out to the Statue of Liberty was awesome, and one of my favorite rememberances--especially on autumn evenings with the sun setting to the west across the harbor.

I just never felt people were designed to work that high up...it always felt a little weird. But it had its moments.

In the end, tragically, nearly 100 of my colleagues and friends died there. The new development is really a step forward. A time to move forward, with a very elegant and appropriate remembrance of what went on there. It feels good...finally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City