Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:02 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The only experience I have with WTC is having lunch at a Pizza Hut across the street from one of the towers back in the summer of 99'. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?
I don't remember there being a Pizza Hut in the neighborhood, but that doesn't mean my memory is correct.

But why go to Pizza Hut when you had Majestic Pizza on Cortlandt Street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 02:09 AM

900 posts, read 2,372,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Beautiful pics. I saw the towers for the first time from afar when my family moved to NJ...from the Newark airport monorail a man pointed out the NYC skyline to me and there they were. I saw them up close on my way to see the Statue of Liberty, I believe in the summer of 2000. We have a picture of my dad posing on the boat with Lower Manhattan in the background. We thought we'd have all the time in the world to go and visit the WTC. Wish I could have gone inside, or even to the plaza.
I always admired the old skyline, so much that sometimes I feel terrible for thinking more about the buildings than those who died in and around them (perhaps because I don't know anyone who died...but still I feel bad). It was so uniquely and obviously New York City. There was no mistaking the two towers at the bottom of the island. Like Manhattan was making a peace sign.

Doobage I can relate to what you're saying. I often felt bad about missing the Towers too. I didn't know anyone who perished either and I hoped I'd never found out that someone who did I worked with in the past.

This thread made me realize what those buildings meant to not only me but others who had experiences with them and their grief too. They too are mourning the relationships either brought about or further cemented through those now gone buildings. Memories that at one time made us happy now brings sorrow.

Citychik, your post brought tears to my eyes.

Mightyqueen, was that the pizza place near the hotel? I can't remember exactly where it was but I remembered that pizza and wondered to this day if they are still down there. That was some good pizza.

Knowledge, do you remember if the Pizza Hut was near a Burger King? I'm thinking it might have been near it.

So many things change about Manhattan anyway, so many stores come and go on a regular basis.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:00 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The only experience I have with WTC is having lunch at a Pizza Hut across the street from one of the towers back in the summer of 99'. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?
I believe that Pizza Hut was on Broadway...close to the towers but not directly across the street.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:18 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't remember there being a Pizza Hut in the neighborhood, but that doesn't mean my memory is correct.

But why go to Pizza Hut when you had Majestic Pizza on Cortlandt Street?

lol. I was only 12. I was only following my aunt and cousins, lol.

Is that pizza place still there? Maybe I'll check it out the next time I'm in NYC.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Doobage I can relate to what you're saying. I often felt bad about missing the Towers too. I didn't know anyone who perished either and I hoped I'd never found out that someone who did I worked with in the past.

This thread made me realize what those buildings meant to not only me but others who had experiences with them and their grief too. They too are mourning the relationships either brought about or further cemented through those now gone buildings. Memories that at one time made us happy now brings sorrow.

Citychik, your post brought tears to my eyes.

Mightyqueen, was that the pizza place near the hotel? I can't remember exactly where it was but I remembered that pizza and wondered to this day if they are still down there. That was some good pizza.

Knowledge, do you remember if the Pizza Hut was near a Burger King? I'm thinking it might have been near it.

So many things change about Manhattan anyway, so many stores come and go on a regular basis.

I don't recall. I just remember it was like an alley between it and a tower. It was right in front of the Pizza Hut.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I believe that Pizza Hut was on Broadway...close to the towers but not directly across the street.

No, it was right next to a tower.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
What's amusing to me about the wave of nostalgia over the World Trade Center is that when the towers were originally put up, they were widely criticized as a blot on the New York City skyline. It didn't matter that so prestigious an architect as I.M. Pei designed them--many New Yorkers did not like those buildings at all. Now, of course, nobody will admit that, because they're afraid of getting harsh looks (or worse) in response.

And in case you're curious...I didn't care for them much, at all. But I like to think that I recognize reality when it stares me in the face; the twin towers were there, and that was that.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:39 AM

499 posts, read 793,891 times
They were designed by Minoru Yamasaki, not I.M. Pei.

Many people will still admit they dislike the towers' design.
I think individually they were boring and oppressive but as time went on the skyline grew nicely around them. They were beautiful because NYC surrounded them.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:43 AM

86 posts, read 306,784 times
I acutally liked the facade of the Twin Towers. The tridents, and the steel kind of evokes something. It kind of tells you that this building is here with this heavy amount of arrogance.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:21 AM

83 posts, read 156,163 times
I went to the observation deck once in my teens in the mid 90's.. a few years after 9/11 my Mom found one of those pennies I had put in the machine up there that smashed it and stamped it with WTC image...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City