Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:40 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Hence, why over 200 people jumped or was pushed from both towers.
Wow, I know people jumped but the thought of people being pushed never crossed my mind. I'm thinking you mean accidentally pushed since so many people were hovering near the windows to get oxygen? Now that I think about it, I can see how that could've happened.

When I was taking a shower tonight the water was too hot at first. It made me think of the agony those people experienced. Of course, the hot water we all experience for a few seconds in the shower is nothing compared to the intense heat on those floors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 01:45 AM

900 posts, read 2,372,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Could you be referring to F.J. Wilkes Insurance Company on the 102nd floor? My sister worked there in the late 1970s/early 1980s. I took her place when she went on vacation for two weeks at the end of August 1981. I was a teenager at the time and was paid a whopping $4/hour. I remember getting paid and spending my entire paycheck buying clothes in the lobby shops. The view was spectacular. It's strange to think that was one of the deadliest floors on 9/11. I believe the company relocated to New Jersey around 1987.
I really can't remember the name but that doesn't ring a bell. It was in the '80's, around 1986.

I do know that we weren't that high in the building. I keep thinking it was in the teens per I don't remember feeling the building sway and I only used one elevator bank up. I do remember the company having a cafeteria because two of the department heads took me there for lunch. The company was in One WTC.

My general comments on the buildings. At the time I didn't think much of them other than being these big massive buildings, historic massive buildings. I did like them, and working in them usually meant you "arrived", that is if you worked at Two World Trade more so. Two World Trade were where mostly the financial wheeling and dealing that went on and you most likely was in an high paying position.

The only odd thought I had about the buildings back then is remembering getting off the 2 train and that exit that lead from the subway station into the building I never liked. It was always dirty with graffiti along the walls where a few pubic phones were and I believe where the the bums would gain entrance underground.

The odd thought and crazy one I admit was not liking the bareness (you could see the steel protruding from the building that had been sloppily painted over) of this connection and for a split second the thought of the building having to be done over came to mind.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:54 AM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
I really can't remember the name but that doesn't ring a bell. It was in the '80's, around 1986.

I do know that we weren't that high in the building. I keep thinking it was in the teens per I don't remember feeling the building sway and I only used one elevator bank up. I do remember the company having a cafeteria because two of the department heads took me there for lunch. The company was in One WTC.
I'm not sure whether the company I worked at was in One or Two WTC but it was definitely on the 102nd floor. I remember having to switch elevators just to get to the floor. It was only a receptionist job so I sat out front and didn't have a direct view from my desk. I remember getting up during the day and walking to the back offices (an open sea of desks like in the 1980s movies 9 to 5 and Working Girl) so I could take it in. It's sad to think that a view that was so amazing to so many workers over the years ended as a view of terror in their final moments.

Last edited by GPC; 09-26-2011 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 09-26-2011, 09:59 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post

My general comments on the buildings. At the time I didn't think much of them other than being these big massive buildings, historic massive buildings. I did like them, and working in them usually meant you "arrived", that is if you worked at Two World Trade more so. Two World Trade were where mostly the financial wheeling and dealing that went on and you most likely was in an high paying position.

The only odd thought I had about the buildings back then is remembering getting off the 2 train and that exit that lead from the subway station into the building I never liked. It was always dirty with graffiti along the walls where a few pubic phones were and I believe where the the bums would gain entrance underground.

The odd thought and crazy one I admit was not liking the bareness (you could see the steel protruding from the building that had been sloppily painted over) of this connection and for a split second the thought of the building having to be done over came to mind.
Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield was on 11 (or maybe it was 13) in One, and they had their own cafeteria. Anyone could use it, and their soup was good, so I went there a few times. Maybe that was it.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:02 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Wow, I know people jumped but the thought of people being pushed never crossed my mind. I'm thinking you mean accidentally pushed since so many people were hovering near the windows to get oxygen? Now that I think about it, I can see how that could've happened.

When I was taking a shower tonight the water was too hot at first. It made me think of the agony those people experienced. Of course, the hot water we all experience for a few seconds in the shower is nothing compared to the intense heat on those floors.
"Hmmm, I've been pissed at that b**** since she stole my favorite pen last month...look how close she is to that window, gasping for air--this is my chance! No one will EVER figure out that she didn't jump, since we're all going to die in a few minutes anyway and there will be no witnesses..."

Old 09-26-2011, 01:07 PM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
"Hmmm, I've been pissed at that b**** since she stole my favorite pen last month...look how close she is to that window, gasping for air--this is my chance! No one will EVER figure out that she didn't jump, since we're all going to die in a few minutes anyway and there will be no witnesses..."
Yikes! That's some really dark humor!

Old 09-26-2011, 01:44 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
I remember that you could look up and see all the exposed spray-on fireproofing on the steel on the observation level. As a kid I was really curious what all that stuff was.
Kind of ominous in retrospect. Although it probably wouldn't have made a whole lot of difference if it was encased.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:05 PM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
It kind of tells you that this building is here with this heavy amount of arrogance.
And that was no doubt part of the appeal in taking them down...

Old 09-26-2011, 10:08 PM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I guess it would be kind of creepy to have the towers back as they were.
It absolutely would be creepy and I highly doubt many people would be willing to work in WTC clones.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:23 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,538 times
Quote:
It absolutely would be creepy and I highly doubt many people would be willing to work in WTC clones.
I agree. That's why I always raise an eyebrow when I hear someone say that they should rebuild them. Its like you may be able to bring the towers back but there will still always be a void because of the thousands of people who have died. I think the memorial is excellent because it gives the country a chance to reflect but still being able to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City