Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:36 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,304,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
^^Speaking of BD
How are these covers when he wrote, he's singing and performing them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 11:44 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,698,212 times
I know which version I prefer. I'll leave it up to you to decide:

YouTube - ‪ROY BUCHANAN - THE MESSIAH WILL COME AGAIN(LIVE 1976)‬‏

YouTube - ‪Gary Moore Live The Messiah Will Come Again. Orig by Roy Buchanan‬‏

Old 06-19-2011, 01:30 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,291,348 times
All Social Distortion covers are excellent. I've included a few for your listening pleasure:
1. Making Believe (original by Kitty Wells)

YouTube - ‪Kitty Wells - Making Believe‬‏

YouTube - ‪Social Distortion - Making Believe‬‏

2. Under my thumb (original by The Rolling Stones)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zId2trP9Bz8

And check out all these other Social D covers:
Backstreet Girl (Rolling Stones)
Alone and Forsaken (Hank Williams)
Death or Glory (The Clash)
Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash)

Old 06-19-2011, 01:48 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,933,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
How are these covers when he wrote, he's singing and performing them?
I don't know. Maybe something to do with that skinny, blonde haired guy in the white shirt singing the song. In case you didn't see him, he's the one that puts on the funny looking hat about halfway through the tune. Hard to miss.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:01 PM

13,774 posts, read 26,671,139 times
This song was originally performed by Aretha Franklin's sister Erma. Whether Janis Joplin's "blows it away" is perhaps arguable, but it's less arguable that it has eclipsed the original. Faith Hill's was also a hit, and might also be more well known than Erma's, so I'm including it too. Interestingly, now that I hear it, I think I like Erma's pretty well.

YouTube - ‪erma franklin - piece of my heart‬‏

YouTube - ‪JANIS JOPLIN PIECE OF MY HEART‬‏

YouTube - ‪Faith Hill - Piece Of My Heart (Video)‬‏

Old 06-20-2011, 10:46 AM

31,384 posts, read 37,213,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
This song was originally performed by Aretha Franklin's sister Erma. Whether Janis Joplin's "blows it away" is perhaps arguable, but it's less arguable that it has eclipsed the original. Faith Hill's was also a hit, and might also be more well known than Erma's, so I'm including it too. Interestingly, now that I hear it, I think I like Erma's pretty well.
Wow, where does one start.

As an African American, a participant in the Black awareness renaissance of the late 60's, I like many other brothers and sisters were incensed over the accolades heaped upon Janis Joplin for her cover of Piece of My Heart only one year after the release of the original recording my Erma Franklin. Crowned the "Queen of the Blues" when original and far more worthy female blues artist were still alive and living in obscurity was emblematic of the times and a true outrage to African American contributions to American culture. Does Janis's version "blow away" the original? Not by a country mile, but is it good, really really good, song by a woman, like any blues artist of merit, by her own personal demons. Unfortunately it took me more than 30 years to learn to appreciate her version for what it was, a heart felt homage to the blues genre. I have come to recognize that it was not Ms. Joplin who sought such recognition but rather the media of the time that still to a large extent choses to bestow honorifics on her to the neglect of others of equal or greater stature.

PS - I had the same problem with Clapton and few others of the time.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:54 AM

PS - I do like the Faith Hill version. If I were on a desert island with no 3G and only space for one version on my iPod, I would opt for the Joplin version.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 AM

Do yourselves a favor and check out the New York Daily News Top 100 covers. There are some fascinating choices, like this gem, Dolly Parton's cover of Stairway to Heaven, pretty damned amazing.

A blow away, I don' know but Dolly Parton is a true musical treasure I don't care what your musical taste may be.

http://stereogum.com/5891/ny_posts_1...all_time/list/

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:52 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,933,889 times
Blows away? Maybe. Depends on your musical taste.
Entertaining? Hell yes

(Aerosmith)

YouTube - ‪Hayseed Dixie Walk This Way‬‏

(Queen)

YouTube - ‪Hayseed Dixie - Bohemian Rhapsody video‬‏

(Kiss)

YouTube - ‪Hayseed Dixie - Rock & Roll All Nite‬‏

Old 06-20-2011, 03:00 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,138,407 times
I Just Wanna Make Love To You - Foghat (1972)
originally done by Etta James in 1961 (1961)

I prefer the Foghat version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music