Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 05:46 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,942,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
John ALWAYS has a better voice along with the guitar tone. Once he borrows your song........who are YOU???
Well, I wouldn't exactly apply that to "I Heard It Through The Grapevine," even though Creedence's eleven minute jam on that song beats the living bejesus out of any Grateful Dead jam on record.

Here's a few covers that blew the originals out of the water. If they've been hoisted before, oh well . . .

Helen Shapiro, "It Might as Well Rain Until September" (Original: Carole King)

The Beatles, "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby" (Original: Carl Perkins)

The Rivieras, "Easy to Remember" (Original: Bing Crosby)

The Electric Flag, "Drinkin' Wine, Spo-De-O-Dee" (as "Wine"; original: Stick McGhee)

The Yardbirds, "The Train Kept A-Rollin'" (original: Tiny Bradshaw)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 06:18 PM

13,774 posts, read 26,710,558 times
I thought for sure I did Ray Charles's covers, as I like them so, but I guess not.

‪YouTube - Eddy Arnold - You Don't Know Me‬‏ - YouTube - Jerry Vale's was the first to chart, but Arnold is the co-writer and his charted two months later.

‪Ray Charles - You don't know me (live)‬‏ - YouTube - A classic Ray Charles rendition, I remember this song from Groundhog Day. (The rendition in the film is a bit different as it's a bit more up-tempo, I think, and has back-up singers)

Does Ray Charles "blow away" Eddy Arnold? Well that might be debatable, but I think of Ray Charles's when I think of the song and I imagine I'm far from alone.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:05 PM
DXR

139 posts, read 148,069 times

‪The Beatles - "Rock and Roll Music"‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-23-2011, 03:06 PM

4,358 posts, read 3,589,049 times
This may surprise you, but this version is better than the Peggy Lee version, even though I like both.

Fever ---- Elvis Presley

‪Elvis Presley - Fever‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-23-2011, 05:40 PM

13,774 posts, read 26,710,558 times
Considering the following thread was bumped back up should we merge this to that?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/music...-original.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music