Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 07:34 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,765,627 times

Advertisements

slightly better than the Black Flag version

YouTube - ‪Gallows- Nervous Breakdown Studio Version (Black flag)‬‏

I prefer this over The Fray's version

YouTube - ‪A Day to Remember: Over My Head (Cable Car) w/ Lyrics‬‏

also prefer this over D.I.'s version

YouTube - ‪The Offspring - The O.C. Life‬‏
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 09:39 PM

5,793 posts, read 14,003,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Two full minutes of listening to music that made me think that I was at the worst Fashion Week runway show. If you like it fine, does it "blow away the original" I don't know, I never got that far.
Well, we just can't all appreciate the same things. No harm done. But yeah, it's a far better version than Britney's to my ears. For Britney fans, probably not so much. But when a 60 yr old guy, with nearly cult-like followers, takes a tune aimed at teens, performs it in one of his shows and makes it relevant that's a pretty cool trick.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:02 AM

8,878 posts, read 14,016,392 times
I always liked Cheap Trick's cover of Ain't That A Shame (by Fats Domino):

YouTube - ‪Aint That a Shame (Budokan)‬‏

Then there's the Creedence Clearwater Revival's version of I Heard It Through The Grapevine(by Smokey Robinson (and later by Marvin Gaye). I just love the bass drive in this version:

YouTube - ‪I heard it through the grapevine - Creedence‬‏

And lastly, Eric Clapton's remake of his own cover of JJ Cale's After Midnight:

YouTube - ‪Eric Clapton - After midnight (1988 Version)‬‏

Old 06-19-2011, 03:31 AM

13,774 posts, read 26,720,660 times

YouTube - ‪"When I Fall in Love" Doris Day‬‏ - The original was an instrumental, this is the earliest sung version I find.

YouTube - ‪Nat King Cole sings "When I Fall in Love"‬‏ - Nat King Cole's more famous rendition.

I like Doris Day okay, but Cole's almost certainly deserves it's more iconic status. Day's came out soon after the instrumental from the film, as in the same year by the looks of it, so I'm counting it as "the original" unless I find there's an earlier vocal version. Hope that's not "a cheat."

Old 06-19-2011, 04:08 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,557,634 times
Stevie Ray Vaughn's version of "Voodoo Chile"

Original: Jimi Hendrix

Old 06-19-2011, 08:41 AM

31,384 posts, read 37,283,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Well, we just can't all appreciate the same things. No harm done. But yeah, it's a far better version than Britney's to my ears. For Britney fans, probably not so much. But when a 60 yr old guy, with nearly cult-like followers, takes a tune aimed at teens, performs it in one of his shows and makes it relevant that's a pretty cool trick.
The thread is about covers that "blow away" the original. In the first post I pointed to Bob Dylan's 'All Along The Watchtower", which by Dylan's own admission, Hendrix had permanently taken possession of the song making Hendrix's version canon, the standard by which all subsequent covers are to be judged. That is blowing away the original.

So this isn't about which version of a song that you like more than the original, there are tons of those. The thread is supposed be about songs that so exceed the original as to make it nothing more than a musical footnote (that might be going a bit far but I don't know a better way to phrase it).

So, like in any nominating list such as this, submissions must meet or exceed the criteria set; songs that blow away the original. So when you submit a song for consideration and discussion folks have no basis for being offended when others find their submission lacking.

Last edited by ovcatto; 06-19-2011 at 08:55 AM..

Old 06-19-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
slightly better than the Black Flag version
The Black Flag version of what? Each of the clips seems to indicate a different song title, so are they playing the same song or what?

Help me out here.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I always liked Cheap Trick's cover of Ain't That A Shame (by Fats Domino)
Interesting blows away? Naw.

Quote:
Then there's the Creedence Clearwater Revival's version of I Heard It Through The Grapevine
This is a tough one, this song has been covered by all the greats, Smokey, Marvin Gaye, and let's not forget Gladys Night and the Pips and CCR's version deserves being included in that number, but I don't think to this day that anyone has recorded a definitive version of the song.

Quote:
And lastly, Eric Clapton's remake of his own cover of JJ Cale's After Midnight:
Definitely.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:21 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,952,252 times
^^Speaking of BD

YouTube - ‪Mona Live By Bo Diddley‬‏

"enhanced" by Tom Petty

YouTube - ‪Tom Petty, Bo Diddley - Mona‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music