Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 11:52 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,913,403 times

Advertisements

I know covers are so hit and miss. I thought it would be fun to share completely unexpected or opposites to the original.

I am going to start with one of my all-time favorite songs!

Maxwell's cover of Nine Inch Nails Closer:

Original:

Nine Inch Nails - Closer (Director's Cut) - YouTube

Redo:

Maxwell - Gotta get closer live (MTV unplugged).wmv - YouTube

**I am sad I have never seen this episode of Unplugged, this is one of my fave albums ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 01:14 PM

877 posts, read 636,479 times
This is Alison Krauss singing "You Asked Me To" from Waylon Jennings, may he rest in peace.

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly

Old 11-09-2012, 01:34 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,355,977 times

Motörhead - Stand by Your Man (featuring Wendy O. Williams) - YouTube

Old 11-09-2012, 01:47 PM

603 posts, read 967,671 times
Oh wow, so many...

Tori Amos - Raining Blood (Slayer) - YouTube

Ministry - Paint It Black (The Rolling Stones Cover) - YouTube
****, I have so many more...cannot think right now.

Great thread idea, by the way....

Oh yeah, also this timeless classic, NSFW:

Revolting ***** - Do Ya Think I'm Sexy - YouTube

Old 11-09-2012, 01:52 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,223,544 times
I actually like this version!

Steve & Eydie - Black Hole Sun

Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gorme(Soundgarden) - Black Hole Sun - YouTube

Old 11-09-2012, 02:25 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,300,079 times
One of the most beautiful of all time is Johnny Cash's complete retake on Nine Inch Nail's Hurt. Trent Reznor said the song wasn't even his anymore.

Nine Inch Nails - Hurt - YouTube

Johnny Cash - Hurt - YouTube

This is one I always thought was strange. I heard the cover first, and I've decided I much prefer the original. I don't think it's the same without the saxophone:

George Michael - Careless Whisper - YouTube

Seether - Careless Whisper - YouTube

Old 11-09-2012, 03:38 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,206,877 times

Slash Solo - Godfather Theme Song - YouTube

Old 11-09-2012, 04:48 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,819,513 times

Five Finger Death Punch - Bad Company - YouTube

Guns N' Roses Knockin'On Heaven's Door - YouTube

Rolling Stones-Not Fade Away (Variante 1) - YouTube

1. Bring a weapon. Preferably, bring at least two. Bring all of your friends who have weapons. Bring their friends who have weapons.
  2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
  3. Only hits count. Close doesn't count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.
  4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough, nor using cover correctly.
  5. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.)
  6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a big weapon and a friend with a big weapon.
  7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived and who didn't.
  8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.
  9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting is more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the weapon.
  10. Use a weapon that works EVERY TIME. "All skill is in vain when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."
  11. Someday someone may kill you with your own weapon, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
  12. In combat, there are no rules, always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
  13. Have a plan.
  14. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.
  15. Use cover or concealment as much as possible. The visible target should be in FRONT of YOUR weapon.
  16. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
  17. Don't drop your guard.
  18. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees.
  19. Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).
  20. Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.
  21. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.
  22. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
  23. Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
  24. Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
  25. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with a ".4."

Old 11-10-2012, 01:17 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,378,216 times
"Drugs" originally by Talking Heads vs. covered by This Mortal Coil-very dissimilar sounding (I prefer the former).

Talking Heads Drugs (HQ) - YouTube

This Mortal Coil - Drugs - YouTube

-----
LL Cool J's "I Need Love" vs. folksinger Luka Bloom's version, have similar feel, but different styles of delivery (I prefer the latter) -

LL Cool J- I Need Love With Lyrics! - YouTube

"I Need Love" by Luka Bloom on "Celtic Inspiration II" - Grooveshark

-----
Grace Jones doing Edith Piaf's "La Vie En Rose"-admit I don't know what original/earlier versions of the song sound like, but since the title of this thread is "Unexpected covers"...

Grace Jones - La vie en Rose - YouTube

Old 11-10-2012, 01:28 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,214,360 times

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music